1. 1. What should we do to keep CGM?

• Gus should still be fired
    • Keep Gus another year until AD is set
    • If Gus is offered another job, let him go
    • If Gus is offered another job, do whatever it takes to keep him

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should add another option - “keep gus, with the knowledge that he will go full bone-head and cost the players a game they otherwise would have won ... doing so within a game or 2 of an impressive win and great offensive stats ... and the biannual QB consternation.”

One game like the UGA game does not erase what has gone before. We must do this consistently and we must have confidence the coaches can win these coaching matches. I am hopeful but conditioned by this staff from the previous 3 years to wait and see. Its simply the way we lose and how amateurish our coaches have looked at times. That has to change and maybe is changing. Well know more by the end of next season. 

14 minutes ago, auskull said:

One game like the UGA game does not erase what has gone before. We must do this consistently and we must have confidence the coaches can win these coaching matches. I am hopeful but conditioned by this staff from the previous 3 years to wait and see. Its simply the way we lose and how amateurish our coaches have looked at times. That has to change and maybe is changing. Well know more by the end of next season. 

I feel the same way about Gus.  He is just too inconsistent and has not established himself as a coach that can consistently be competitive in this league.  He’s got to show he can consistently compete at the next level and make the ingame adjustments necessary to do that.

Now, if he beats UAt in a couple of weeks, I think a lot more will be forgiven.  He’s had plenty of time to recruit the talent he needs to have a “championship caliber team.”  He always talks about winning championships at Auburn, well its about time he gets serious about it.

I’m in a wait and see mode. I’m encouraged but.... it’s so hard for a tiger to change its stripes. I do feel myself wanting to believe but I’m cautiously optimistic. If he beats bama, I don’t care by 1 pt or 40 pts, I will be convinced. I guess you could say I’m straddling the fence 

I'm indifferent right now.  If he beats ULM and loses the rest, I figure he's done enough to get another year. 

If he wins out, he'll probably get an extension/raise and I'll be fine with that, too.

I’m a fence straddler as well. Encouraged  by the coaching I’ve seen since but the LSU coaching debacle is hard for me to forget. I’m in “constant reassessment” mode, lol.

While I did call for his head early in the year, some people seem to think that transitioning to a new head coach is some easy task. It’s not. It would be detrimental to our program if we fired Gus or let him leave. He knows he still has to prove something to the fans and it seems like he’s on a mission to do so. 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

While I did call for his head early in the year, some people seem to think that transitioning to a new head coach is some easy task. It’s not. It would be detrimental to our program if we fired Gus or let him leave. He knows he still has to prove something to the fans and it seems like he’s on a mission to do so. 

I agree.  He's still learning and bringing in someone else would be difficult.  He learned a big lesson in Baton Rouge.  Two years down the road we may be in worse shape.  I like the defensive staff  and I'm quietly confident about our remaining games.  Bammer is vulnerable, especially on defense.  Plus, the offense really only has 2 or 3 playmakers.  Then there's Saban's record against Auburn when we win at least 9 games in a season.  He's  0-6, and we should get win #9 this Saturday.

If he leaves for ARK who could blame him its home and he gets out of the state with rumplestiltskin. They get a deal too because he did his O.J.T. at AU because it looks like maybe he had turned the corner on squatting on a lead and keeping the hammer down.

I am happy with the team right now. With that being said, I don't think we should be in a bidding war for Gus. Now that all can change in a month or so. Get us to win the SEC and sure, I have no problem.

27 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

whatever, he can go or stay.....we can do better anyway

Oh really.....Just who would be left that is better? Don't forget we will probably have two front runners going to Florida and Tennessee. We also have Arkansas and Ole Miss who will probably be in the market. This could arguably be one of the worst years in the SEC to find a top tier coach or someone who could do better. Odds are anyone with Florida ties will wait on UF first. Tennessee is a name brand that will attract a proven coach. We might have the inside track on Ark and Ole Miss. However Gus may bail for Arkansas and a new 5 year contract.

Just too many variables to be so sure about a hire. What is our track record on getting a top tier proven coach? I would offer that we would hire someone with a resume much like Gus. I am not oppose to a new hire, I am just not as confident on improving our program. Sometimes though it is just time for a change. 

d.s. (No, I will not honor that jerk by spelling his name or even using caps on his initials) is a lying -filthy-low down-uat butt kissing-proven to be so-MORON. If you want to know what is in the best interest of all things related to our Beloved Auburn....simply seek to know the total opposite of his thoughts or opinion. I try to not use the word hate. He is cut from the same cloth as the al.com cultist. Now, I feel as if I need a shower due to having simply read his name. ???

I think that if we get blown out in any of the upcoming games, Gus will leave for Arky because people will be screaming for him to go again. Personally I️ would like to see him stay for at least another year. It seems like he finally is starting to figure things out about being a HC in the SEC. I would hate for his learning curve to happen here and then for him to go to Arky with it already figured out and succeed right away. Plus i really don’t see anyone that to me will win more than we will this year. Gus has earned the right to stay another year. Especially if we can hold on to the staff and we don’t have another year of trying to learn each other so things start to click better.

Archived