What to do to keep CGM?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do to keep CGM?

• Gus should still be fired
    • Keep Gus another year until AD is set
    • If Gus is offered another job, let him go
    • If Gus is offered another job, do whatever it takes to keep him

17 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I think that if we get blown out in any of the upcoming games, Gus will leave for Arky because people will be screaming for him to go again. Personally I️ would like to see him stay for at least another year. It seems like he finally is starting to figure things out about being a HC in the SEC. I would hate for his learning curve to happen here and then for him to go to Arky with it already figured out and succeed right away. Plus i really don’t see anyone that to me will win more than we will this year. Gus has earned the right to stay another year. Especially if we can hold on to the staff and we don’t have another year of trying to learn each other so things start to click better.

I have mixed feelings. First it would be hard on everyone to have to go through a new coaching change as it always sets you back. The problem is that Gus didn't appear to be willing to change until recently. I honestly think though if we won the LSU game no one is saying anything. However it may have taken the LSU game for him to finally have the light bulb turn on and to be a true HC. Winning the UGA game appeased a lot of the fan base and rightfully so. If he puts a good game plan on the field again vs the turds I think people will not be as quick to pull the trigger. Realistically we can be a 10-3 team even if we do lose but win our bowl game which is a successful year getting to double digit wins and hopefully a new years 6 game. Of course there will always be what ifs like there are every year. If he can produce strings of 10+ win seasons there is 0 reason to get rid of him. But like every successful team the better you do the more that is expected of you. Whats crazy is that the last time we had a coach have back to back 10 win seasons was 88 and 89. Would love to see those kind of seasons be back to back. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

It all depends on how we play against UAT. Malzahn is 1-3 against them. And remember, he's lost the last 3 in a row.

if the game comes down to the head coaches and their decision making , it will be four in a row......

25 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

if the game comes down to the head coaches and their decision making , it will be four in a row......

Not on November 30, 2013 it didn't 

The uga win changed my mind on firing Gus. He proved he could win the big game against a top opponent, something he hasn't done with out a lot of luck and hasn't done in quite a while. And I just don't see a coach that we could hire that would be an improvement. Even if we lose to the turds he should get at least one more year. After saying all of that I'm still mad that this team has a loss on it's record, if this team had played every game like the uga game it would be undefeated and the # 1 ranked team in the playoff.

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

blind hog will find an acorn every once in a while

Obviously you do not have a grasp on understanding teams nor football. No way this team does not play bammer toe to toe.

This team will win that game.....You can fire him then dove

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

d.s. (No, I will not honor that jerk by spelling his name or even using caps on his initials) is a lying -filthy-low down-uat butt kissing-proven to be so-MORON. If you want to know what is in the best interest of all things related to our Beloved Auburn....simply seek to know the total opposite of his thoughts or opinion. I try to not use the word hate. He is cut from the same cloth as the al.com cultist. Now, I feel as if I need a shower due to having simply read his name. ???

?

The real question would be more about how he is handling the head coaching job instead of just how he coached one game. For those who know better than me, was the GA games outcome because he has finally turned the corner and let all of his coaches do their job? I hope this is the case and he did not just have a good game. If he has turned the corner AU needs to keep him. If there is to much of a question keep him but do not get in a bidding war for him.

I’m not even voting in this poll but can we stop this stupid fire him don’t fire him after every season, every game, every play, every presser, and every practice.  Just let everything play out each year and see where we are.  

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I’m not even voting in this poll but can we stop this stupid fire him don’t fire him after every season, every game, every play, every presser, and every practice.  Just let everything play out each year and see where we are.  

Well said Corch.....can I add, enjoy what we are seeing play out. Love our chances

Just the truth. If he loses to uat then he will not get fired but he also will not get a raise or contract extension, which is the correct way to handle it. Then Gus will have to decide what he wants to do. Stay here for another year and hope we can put together a better run or take an offer while his value is higher. If he stays and fails to show more improvement like waiting until the third or fourth game of the year to have the guys ready or reverts to the old crap of getting involved then he will be gone next year and his value will have dropped dramatically.

Of course there is this:

"He is just too inconsistent and has not established himself as a coach that can consistently be competitive in this league. "

and then this:   

2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

whatever, he can go or stay.....we can do better anyway

Seems I recall these kinds of quotes when Tennessee got rid of Fulmer and their next two coaches and when Ole Miss dumped Cutcliff and of course at Texas a couple coaches ago and Nebraska.... and how many more school administrations allowed themselves to be panicked by outspoken fans like some on here.   

JMO but no matter what happens the rest of the season,  Gus would do himself and his family a huge favor by saying adios to Auburn, Alabama. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Of course there is this:

"He is just too inconsistent and has not established himself as a coach that can consistently be competitive in this league. "

and then this:   

Seems I recall these kinds of quotes when Tennessee got rid of Fulmer and their next two coaches and when Ole Miss dumped Cutcliff and of course at Texas a couple coaches ago and Nebraska.... and how many more school administrations allowed themselves to be panicked by outspoken fans like some on here.   

JMO but no matter what happens the rest of the season,  Gus would do himself and his family a huge favor by saying adios to Auburn, Alabama. 

And go where arkansas?!  lol come on. That is a huge rebuilding job. That team has no talent whatsoever. They are the least talented team in the sec west by a wide margin and I know they beat Ole Miss. They will not be able to attract any coach besides a young hungry Head coach at a lower level school who is looking for a bigger job and a big payday. Gus is paid over 4 million a year to where some grumbling angry fans wanting him to be fired will not hurt his feelings. The fact that we demand excellence at Auburn as opposed to arkansas where they just want to be a 8 win team shows you Auburn is a much better job. Gus is smart. He knows better than anyone that you can win championships at Auburn. Arkansas is not that place. Arkansas has very little in state talent and it is harder than ever trying to recruit in Texas now.  Give me one logical for football reason why he would go to Arkansas? It makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, auskull said:

Oh really.....Just who would be left that is better? Don't forget we will probably have two front runners going to Florida and Tennessee. We also have Arkansas and Ole Miss who will probably be in the market. This could arguably be one of the worst years in the SEC to find a top tier coach or someone who could do better. Odds are anyone with Florida ties will wait on UF first. Tennessee is a name brand that will attract a proven coach. We might have the inside track on Ark and Ole Miss. However Gus may bail for Arkansas and a new 5 year contract.

Just too many variables to be so sure about a hire. What is our track record on getting a top tier proven coach? I would offer that we would hire someone with a resume much like Gus. I am not oppose to a new hire, I am just not as confident on improving our program. Sometimes though it is just time for a change. 

I swear to f$%^&n God if I hear this rationale for if we make a move or not I will throw this computer out the window! lol.  MERCY! FOR THE LAST TIME. What other jobs that are open or that will come open have NO BEARING on if we make a move or not! WE ARE mother flippin AUBURN!!! We are a elite job that anyone would love to come to and would have no trouble attracting a top flight head coach. Florida is a dumpster fire and that is a major rebuild. That roster has no talent. Whoever they hire will have very high expectations that will not be met. They will not be good for a few years. Rocky Top is not as good of a job as its brand name because of the recruiting base. The problem for Auburn in the past has been people in the AD and PTB had ulterior motives. Instead of wanting to hire the best possible candidate they wanted someone they could control. If we actually would go out and pay top dollar and give full control we could get a proven head coach to jump. ANYWAYS this is a moot point because Gus is not going anywhere now. That impressive thumping of Georgia ensured that. Am I back on the Gus? heck no!!! That lsu loss along with others like it through the years and how it went down still haunts me. Does he deserve another year(s)? Absolutely. It was always known he had to beat 1 of bama and georgia this year. He did that in impressive fashion. If it took the LSU game to make him the really good head coach he has potential to be then that loss was worth it. Recruiter? check. Never has lost the team in face of adversity? check. Motivates players? check. In game coach (adjustments, play calling etc)? TBD. The georgia game was a great sign. Hope it continues. 

Prior to last Saturday, I was off the bus unless Gus managed to win out. And I was not confident that he would pull it off. But Gus and Co. really earned some good favor in the dismantling of Georgia. For one I believe that saved his job because while I still think Alabama will come in prepared, as always, to play Auburn, I cannot see Auburn losing by more than 10 points... 9-3 with the three losses being close doesn't give Gus after Saturday. Secondly though, I have much more confidence in the staff to beat Alabama and I will happily pay my fare back onto the bus. If Auburn just plain gets beat and I haven't pulled my hair out because the gameplan (or lack thereof) I'll be pissed but like Clemson and LSU...I'll be okay with Gus returning because coaching consistency is soon to become a rarity. All in all, I think Saturday brought Malzahn's continued employment into a much more positive light than had been around midseason.

I was thinking about this too. Tubs first 5 seasons his win totals were 5, 9, 7, 9, 8 (38). Pat Dye's first 5 were 5, 9, 11, 9, 8 (42) and that was with Bo on the team for 4 years. Gus right now is sitting at 12, 8, 7, 8, and 8 with at least 3 games left in the season (43). I know the man has some short comings but looking at it in this light made me realize that the coaches that are number 3 and 4 all time in auburn wins weren't consistent 10 game winners their first 5 years (but Pat was close). 

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Recruiter? check. Never has lost the team in face of adversity? check. Motivates players? check. In game coach (adjustments, play calling etc)? TBD. The georgia game was a great sign. Hope it continues. 

This also gives me some hope. Honestly it just comes down to his in game coaching that makes things tough but the guy definitely isn't a slouch. Like the song says "You don't know what you got till its gone". Dang it should I buy a ticket to get back on the bus?

I'm not sure how one relates to the other in regard to coaching not to lose vs coaching to win but as @bigbirdalluded to in another thread, JJ is gone now. Is it a coincidence that Gus has done a better job coaching on Saturdays just since JJ's announcement? I doubt it. I want the Gus since LSU to remain at Auburn. I don't ever want to see the Gus from the Clemson and LSU game on the sidelines again. 

5 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Prior to last Saturday, I was off the bus unless Gus managed to win out. And I was not confident that he would pull it off. But Gus and Co. really earned some good favor in the dismantling of Georgia. For one I believe that saved his job because while I still think Alabama will come in prepared, as always, to play Auburn, I cannot see Auburn losing by more than 10 points... 9-3 with the three losses being close doesn't give Gus after Saturday. Secondly though, I have much more confidence in the staff to beat Alabama and I will happily pay my fare back onto the bus. If Auburn just plain gets beat and I haven't pulled my hair out because the gameplan (or lack thereof) I'll be pissed but like Clemson and LSU...I'll be okay with Gus returning because coaching consistency is soon to become a rarity. All in all, I think Saturday brought Malzahn's continued employment into a much more positive light than had been around midseason.

No way Auburn loses to bammer by anything close to 10. Open your eyes. We quit cowering down to those guys in the 80s.

bammer vs lsu, bammer vs miss st, ....this game is extremely winnable in good fashion.  

I seriously doubt Arky will be willing to come up with a $5,800.000.00 per year or more contract to lure Gus away from us. Who knows though. They fired their AD today and this likely means that CBB is on his way out. I for one think Arky will go after a younger up and coming coach like Fleck at Min. or Brohm at Purdue. Would Arky pay Gus more than we are paying them now?

How much $$$$$$$$ would Gus owe Auburn if he left for Arky? My guess is that Gus is here for as long as he wins. If he screws up and loses to ULM and bammer, then he is in the same mess as before. I do not see ULM as a loss in the wildest of nightmares. ULM has put up some big offensive numbers, but have not seen the likes of our defense nor have they seen the likes of our offense.

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No way Auburn loses to bammer by anything close to 10. Open your eyes. We quit cowering down to those guys in the 80s.

bammer vs lsu, bammer vs miss st, ....this game is extremely winnable in good fashion.  

Oh for sure, my only fear is that against Auburn, Alabama plays it's best game all year and the shills at ESPN begin singing their praises all the way to Atlanta... worst case scenario of course. If JHS shows up like it did for Georgia... I'll take Auburn by at least two scores WHEN we beat them.

10 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

I was thinking about this too. Tubs first 5 seasons his win totals were 5, 9, 7, 9, 8 (38). Pat Dye's first 5 were 5, 9, 11, 9, 8 (42) and that was with Bo on the team for 4 years. Gus right now is sitting at 12, 8, 7, 8, and 8 with at least 3 games left in the season (43). I know the man has some short comings but looking at it in this light made me realize that the coaches that are number 3 and 4 all time in auburn wins weren't consistent 10 game winners their first 5 years (but Pat was close). 

This also gives me some hope. Honestly it just comes down to his in game coaching that makes things tough but the guy definitely isn't a slouch. Like the song says "You don't know what you got till its gone". Dang it should I buy a ticket to get back on the bus?

Hey!! Someone using common sense!! Refreshing!!!?

I'm dumbfounded as to how the last option is winning. There's no universe where I would "do whatever it takes" to keep Gus Malzahn.

My full opinion is still on hold until the Alabama game. Don't need to see a win there to keep Gus, but if we don't at least look competent in that game I'm still a part of the "burn the bus" movement. The reason for this is we haven't had this advantageous of a situation against the Turds in years.

1. The game is at Jordan Hare where we're undefeated this year.

2. Alabama hasn't been the juggernaut they've been known to be over the past few years. I think this Alabama team would lose to the majority of the other Alabama teams over the last five years or so.

3. They're banged up and haven't really been tested. We're a bipolar team this year but they struggled tremendously against a team we blew out. Their schedule looks painfully weak once you see how terrible FSU has been.

Now, after all of this rambling I have one final caveat. If there is anyway that we can definitely assure Chip is calling the plays like he did against Georgia and will continue to do so, then I am fine with Gus staying.

P.S. really not pleased with our recruiting efforts this year.

Archived