What to do to keep CGM?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do to keep CGM?

• Gus should still be fired
    • Keep Gus another year until AD is set
    • If Gus is offered another job, let him go
    • If Gus is offered another job, do whatever it takes to keep him

12 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I seriously doubt Arky will be willing to come up with a $5,800.000.00 per year or more contract to lure Gus away from us. Who knows though. They fired their AD today and this likely means that CBB is on his way out. I for one think Arky will go after a younger up and coming coach like Fleck at Min. or Brohm at Purdue. Would Arky pay Gus more than we are paying them now?

How much $$$$$$$$ would Gus owe Auburn if he left for Arky? My guess is that Gus is here for as long as he wins. If he screws up and loses to ULM and bammer, then he is in the same mess as before. I do not see ULM as a loss in the wildest of nightmares. ULM has put up some big offensive numbers, but have not seen the likes of our defense nor have they seen the likes of our offense.

Just to note that those guys aren't even winning where they are...up and coming? .....maybe but bet Arky learned their lesson about BIG 10 coaches for a while.   As for buyouts and such, things like that have a way of getting worked out when two parties are eager to part ways. ...like at Florida for example.  

No particular reason Arky might not like to get a coach who has wiped the field with them a few times. ..just wondering but in reality, likely nothing is going to change....Gus will be here next year and the same angry voices calling for his dismissal after any loss will be here also. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Oh for sure, my only fear is that against Auburn, Alabama plays it's best game all year and the shills at ESPN begin singing their praises all the way to Atlanta... worst case scenario of course. If JHS shows up like it did for Georgia... I'll take Auburn by at least two scores WHEN we beat them.

ESPN does not play and rest assured JHS will show up....louder than UGA

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

P.S. really not pleased with our recruiting efforts this year.

Currently ranked #14 on 247. Not terrible this early in the season. I do hope we add some big uglies on both lines though. 

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

ESPN does not play and rest assured JHS will show up....louder than UGA

Sorry Salty......some folks are just having a hard time enjoying a good season.....apparently can't wait until the next AU loss so the can do the "I told you so" thing. 

Man this forum can't be happy for 7 days without arguing over whether Gus should be fired or not.  Just enjoy the beat down we put on UGA.  Let's have these conversations after the season so we can see the full body of work.

We need to continue to rally around this team and coaches like we did last week.  It has worked, and the coaches/players seem relaxed, so why change what we did last week?

1 minute ago, tbone1430 said:

Currently ranked #14 on 247. Not terrible this early in the season. I do hope we add some big uglies on both lines though. 

That last part is my concern. We desperately need some Blue Chip OL. The statistics on our QB protection this season have been alarming and I believe we're losing 4 of our starters.

Our secondary badly needs depth and I don't think we have a lot of "top 100" talent on the board.

Maybe I'm greedy but again, I'd like to see much more out of our recruiting.

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I swear to f$%^&n God if I hear this rationale for if we make a move or not I will throw this computer out the window! lol.  MERCY! FOR THE LAST TIME. What other jobs that are open or that will come open have NO BEARING on if we make a move or not! WE ARE mother flippin AUBURN!!! We are a elite job that anyone would love to come to and would have no trouble attracting a top flight head coach. Florida is a dumpster fire and that is a major rebuild. That roster has no talent. Whoever they hire will have very high expectations that will not be met. They will not be good for a few years. Rocky Top is not as good of a job as its brand name because of the recruiting base. The problem for Auburn in the past has been people in the AD and PTB had ulterior motives. Instead of wanting to hire the best possible candidate they wanted someone they could control. If we actually would go out and pay top dollar and give full control we could get a proven head coach to jump. ANYWAYS this is a moot point because Gus is not going anywhere now. That impressive thumping of Georgia ensured that. Am I back on the Gus? heck no!!! That lsu loss along with others like it through the years and how it went down still haunts me. Does he deserve another year(s)? Absolutely. It was always known he had to beat 1 of bama and georgia this year. He did that in impressive fashion. If it took the LSU game to make him the really good head coach he has potential to be then that loss was worth it. Recruiter? check. Never has lost the team in face of adversity? check. Motivates players? check. In game coach (adjustments, play calling etc)? TBD. The georgia game was a great sign. Hope it continues. 

Who is the upgrade to Gus?  Serious question...

Saban?  Not leaving bama for AU

Urban?  Not leaving Ohio st for AU

Dabo? Not even sure he’s an upgrade plus he’s not coming to AU

then who?  Who would you put as a sure fire upgrade?

there is none. Can we please stop this nonsense.  Did he meet my expectations for the season yet?  That’s to be determined.  I think @bigbird and I both predicted 10-2 to start the season.  We had toss-ups to Clemson and Bama and a loss to LSU.  

If he were to beat bama next weekend his record would be 2-3 against the big 3 of UGA, LSU, and bama.  Each of those probably having the best coaches of their respective programs with Mark at UGA, Les at LSU, and Saban at bama.  

I will also throw out even tho we my have had some less then stellar seasons the past few years the rest of the college football world has the conference rated bama at 1, AU at 2, and LSU at 3, and UGA at 4...  I can live with that 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry Salty......some folks are just having a hard time enjoying a good season.....apparently can't wait until the next AU loss so the can do the "I told you so" thing. 

yep, make a lot of folks happy if we could win out, fire Gus. Hire Gruden

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

there is none. Can we please stop this nonsense.  Did he meet my expectations for the season yet?  That’s to be determined.  I think @bigbird and I both predicted 10-2 to start the season.  We had toss-ups to Clemson and Bama and a loss to LSU.  

If he were to beat bama next weekend his record would be 2-3 against the big 3 of UGA, LSU, and bama.  Each of those probably having the best coaches of their respective programs with Mark at UGA, Les at LSU, and Saban at bama.  

I will also throw out even tho we my have had some less then stellar seasons the past few years the rest of the college football world has the conference rated bama at 1, AU at 2, and LSU at 3, and UGA at 4...  I can live with that 

I say we just beat saban after an impressive La Monroe scrimmage Corch. Think beating them is more realistic than beating UGA twice.

Your thoughts?

Guys, I am a happy camper and want this team to beat ULM big time and come away with a big win over bammer. I think both will happen the way I think they will. Beat ULM by 28 points and the turds by any margin. Love to lay 45 on them and have 17 or less on us.

I want Gus to stay here as long as he can keep the torch lit and the pedal to the metal.  We will give him a raise I think regardless at the end of the season of which the $$$$ could vary with the wins he puts up. A 9 or 10 win season deserves a reward to keep him happy here.

Arky is a step down no doubt and where he will be hard pressed to win anything title wise.  If Gus wants to go to Arky, then that is his choice. I hope though he stays and we do what we have to do within reason to keep him in the fold.  I do not see Arky paying him or any coach $5 plus million.

I have seen Gus make some logic defying decisions, but leaving Auburn for Arkansas would be the dumbest ever. I can not even imagine that he could rationalize a move like that in my wildest of dreams. I have been extremely critical of Gus for two years now, but I can't in any way imagine he, nor Auburn being that stupid.

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I say we just beat saban after an impressive La Monroe scrimmage Corch. Think beating them is more realistic than beating UGA twice.

Your thoughts?

Personally at this point I think both happens... 31-20 AU over bama... 30-24 over UGA in the rematch.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Personally at this point I think both happens... 31-20 AU over bama... 30-24 over UGA in the rematch.  

In line with you on the bammer score Corch. Know you have scouted them. As a novice I see a better team in Auburn and giving the crowd a few points in that game. Just do not know what the neutral field will do vs UGA

Not looking through my O&B glasses, think will make handy work of bammer.  

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

In line with you on the bammer score Corch. Know you have scouted them. As a novice I see a better team in Auburn and giving the crowd a few points in that game. Just do not know what the neutral field will do vs UGA

Not looking through my O&B glasses, think will make handy work of bammer.  

Hurts is the issue with bama plus you never know when the blind eye of the refs will happen on important 3rd and 4 plays where they hold our edge rushers.

With the injuries to LBs for Bama I think we can control the ball and think run the ball as well and that opens up our entire offense.  Bama is better then UGA at rushing the passer but not a lot better.  

If we stop Hurts from running around I think we can stop them.

UGA will probably be about 80 percent of the stadium in ATL.  They will get a bump from that and also prepping for Ga Tech will have them better assignment prepared but our lines completely dominated theirs and crowd or home field advantage had nothing to do with it.   

39 minutes ago, corchjay said:

You missed the point of my post. The point of my post was to say he is not going anywhere. Not arky. Not getting fired. NOWHERE. But to take you to task. really? Dabo would not be a upgrade? lol ok coach. And to answer your question I guess it comes down to where you rank gus as a head coach. If you really think dabo is not a upgrade from gus then me having this conversation with you is futile. BUT ANYWAYS this is a moot point but he will be back in 2018. You been coming at my throat lately it seems like and arguing with me over everything. Do not think I have not noticed. But as the wordsmith D craig would always say we still gucci fam! 

1 hour ago, tbone1430 said:

I was thinking about this too. Tubs first 5 seasons his win totals were 5, 9, 7, 9, 8 (38). Pat Dye's first 5 were 5, 9, 11, 9, 8 (42) and that was with Bo on the team for 4 years. Gus right now is sitting at 12, 8, 7, 8, and 8 with at least 3 games left in the season (43). I know the man has some short comings but looking at it in this light made me realize that the coaches that are number 3 and 4 all time in auburn wins weren't consistent 10 game winners their first 5 years (but Pat was close). 

This also gives me some hope. Honestly it just comes down to his in game coaching that makes things tough but the guy definitely isn't a slouch. Like the song says "You don't know what you got till its gone". Dang it should I buy a ticket to get back on the bus?

THIS. I still want to be able to see what happens when his initial game plan does not work and he has to go off script and adapt in the middle and the heat of a big game. Everything worked to perfection against georgia. He did not have to adapt. That part still worries me.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You missed the point of my post. The point of my post was to say he is not going anywhere. Not arky. Not getting fired. NOWHERE. But to take you to task. really? Dabo would not be a upgrade? lol ok coach. And to answer your question I guess it comes down to where you rank gus as a head coach. If you really think dabo is not a upgrade from gus then me having this conversation with you is futile. BUT ANYWAYS this is a moot point but he will be back in 2018. You been coming at my throat lately it seems like and arguing with me over everything. Do not think I have not noticed. But as the wordsmith D craig would always say we still gucci fam! 

We good people just opposite ends of personality.  Love what you bring to the board.  

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

We good people just opposite ends of personality.  Love what you bring to the board.  

lol that is a perfect way to summarize it. At the end of the day it is ALL LOVE and one love for AU. Likewise. 

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Hurts is the issue with bama plus you never know when the blind eye of the refs will happen on important 3rd and 4 plays where they hold our edge rushers.

With the injuries to LBs for Bama I think we can control the ball and think run the ball as well and that opens up our entire offense.  Bama is better then UGA at rushing the passer but not a lot better.  

UGA will probably be about 80 percent of the stadium in ATL.  They will get a bump from that and also prepping for Ga Tech will have them better assignment prepared but our lines completely dominated theirs and crowd or home field advantage had nothing to do with it.   

If they had their normal pocket passer that they have had for the majority of the time under Saban this would be besides his 07 team the saban coached team that least scares me. Hurts legs are a x factor unfortunately. I just have this terrible vision of us getting pressure and him constantly escaping and/or breaking contain. 

29 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Tell me if I am wrong Corch? Historically, Auburn has pretty much shut down great quarterbacks and running backs when they have visited JHS for big games....maybe a little to do with crowd. If he can be intimated a bit, it will be that day.

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If they had their normal pocket passer that they have had for the majority of the time under Saban this would be besides his 07 team the saban coached team that least scares me. Hurts legs are a x factor unfortunately. I just have this terrible vision of us getting pressure and him constantly escaping and/or breaking contain. 

This is what I see :wareagle:

35554652-00AD-4519-9E83-BA2E086AA951.jpeg

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Our fanbase can barely be happy at all

Man this forum's got nothing on the political forum bunch. Some of the saddest, unhappiest, butthurt people you'll ever meet. 

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

Man this forum's got nothing on the political forum bunch. Some of the saddest, unhappiest, butthurt people you'll ever meet. 

I stay away from that side of this website 

Archived