LKEEL75

What to do to keep CGM?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do to keep CGM?

• Gus should still be fired
    • Keep Gus another year until AD is set
    • If Gus is offered another job, let him go
    • If Gus is offered another job, do whatever it takes to keep him

I think some of our fans need to chill out. You do realize we would be hiring a coach at the same time UF UT Arkansas and prob A&M are. I can only see us out spending Arkansas on that list. Also nobody wants to come coach and recruit against Saban and Gus is doing a great job recruiting wise and I expect him to start on the field next Saturday.

Second Gus is going to beat Alabama and he would not be fired if he lost. Do you people not see the bama fans are getting scared?  Finebaum and other mouthpieces for bama spent alot of time spewing Gus to Arkansas rumors today. Yes I know what was being said before the game and they might have heard something but they spent a whole lot of time on it. I expect Gus to win out and make the playoffs which would put him out of consideration anyway.  Gus and Kristi both have family still there but they love Auburn and consider it home. Man I see and lot of crow in the near future. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope we keep Gus into the foreseeable future. Or at least until someone can show me a coach with better credentials than Gus has and who would be willing to come here. (No up and comers, please. See UF, Tenn and A&M for reasons why not)

Look: Three years ago the defense was a wreck. Gus got it fixed. His recruiting has always been great. The kids play hard for him and don't quit. Discipline problems are at a minimum compared to other similar schools. He doesn't cheat. He wins big when he has a healthy, capable QB.

We can do a whole lot worse and there are very few that are better.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

I think some of our fans need to chill out. You do realize we would be hiring a coach at the same time UF UT Arkansas and prob A&M are. I can only see us out spending Arkansas on that list. Also nobody wants to come coach and recruit against Saban and Gus is doing a great job recruiting wise and I expect him to start on the field next Saturday.

Second Gus is going to beat Alabama and he would not be fired if he lost. Do you people not see the bama fans are getting scared?  Finebaum and other mouthpieces for bama spent alot of time spewing Gus to Arkansas rumors today. Yes I know what was being said before the game and they might have heard something but they spent a whole lot of time on it. I expect Gus to win out and make the playoffs which would put him out of consideration anyway.  Gus and Kristi both have family still there but they love Auburn and consider it home. Man I see and lot of crow in the near future. 

Au can out spend all of those schools besides TAMU and you know it. Florida does not even have better facilities than us. US!!! The school that has let it's once beautiful stadium go to waste. Anyways Gus is not going anywhere nor should he. He had to beat 1 of georgia or bama this year and so far he is 1 for 1. This can still be a great year but it already would be considered a great year if we had beat LSU like we were in position to and have a chance at 10 wins this weekend instead of only 9. Regardless Gus showed a lot to me and others that have long doubted him. I hope that is the same gus we see against bama. #WDE

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I hope we keep Gus into the foreseeable future. Or at least until someone can show me a coach with better credentials than Gus has and who would be willing to come here. (No up and comers, please. See UF, Tenn and A&M for reasons why not)

Look: Three years ago the defense was a wreck. Gus got it fixed. His recruiting has always been great. The kids play hard for him and don't quit. Discipline problems are at a minimum compared to other similar schools. He doesn't cheat. He wins big when he has a healthy, capable QB.

We can do a whole lot worse and there are very few that are better.

He has potential. Even the biggest gus non believers like myself and others think that. It is why we are so hard on gus because we know he can be a awesome coach IF HE JUST GETS OUT OF HIS OWN WAY. We have seen it before. He has all the ingredients he just has to use them.  This was our first big win since at a top 5 ole miss team in 2014. This was the first time since 2014 the old Gus that we all thought was destined for greatness showed up. I hope he stays. The guy who completely blew games the past couple of years that made us lose our minds over some buffoon decisions? Yah I hope he is left in 2015 and 2016. Last year the capable QB situation was all his fault and could of been a non issue if he would of just offered Jerod Evans instead of JF3. HOW THE HECK DO YOU MAKE A COMPLETE BOTCH of that? It was clear as day to even the most novice football fan that Jerod Evans was a good QB and JF3 was a good ATHLETE. But anyways that is the past and I think he has learned from it. He put all his marbles in the stidham sweepstakes and it is paying off handsomely. WOOOOO!!!!!!! 

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The problem for Auburn in the past has been people in the AD and PTB had ulterior motives. Instead of wanting to hire the best possible candidate they wanted someone they could control.

Is this a circular argument. What we CAN do and then the reason we CAN'T do it? I don't know if this is just ego talking and Auburn can ultimately hire who they need/want because of who we are OR, are there legitimate obstacles that have and do influence these hiring processes.  If A&M fires their coach then almost half the SEC will be in the market. I have no inside information, magic wane or crystal ball, however since Dye we have not had a single coach unite the Auburn faithful and have the full backing of the Admin. Finding and hiring someone with these attributes is impacted by the points you make and I would also offer....market competition. Maybe I am overrating UF's influence with candidates with Florida ties, however I doubt we will ever know. Do or will we admit if our first choice decided elsewhere or will UF disclose they lost out to Auburn on their first choice....if this ever happens?

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

We good people just opposite ends of personality.  Love what you bring to the board.  

Exactly. Also, some posters have a lot more depth and background on AU's athletic programs and offer various opinions. I enjoy reading these and gaining insight. At the end of the day however, we just all want to win, look the part, and be in contention for championships consistently.

Gus has 44 wins since he came to Auburn in 2013. UGA has 45 and Bama has 61. He may be inconsistent, and stubborn, and unpopular at times, but AU is likely to finish his 5th year as the second winningest SEC team during his tenure. I vote for another year with a new AD, an excellent coaching staff, and several other SEC teams rebuilding. WDE???

Everyone treats this like it's so cut and dry.

Great win on Sat vs the Dawgs. That's a step in the right direction. He's def taken some of the pressure off. Now this has to happen consistently. If he loses to Bama then proceeds to lose to UGA and Bama for another 3 years.... ehh.

Who keeps their job losing to those 2 teams 3 years in a row? That's common sense.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Au can out spend all of those schools besides TAMU and you know it. Florida does not even have better facilities than us. US!!!

Not trying to pick on you. Really not, however: The notion that AU could outspend Tenn. or Florida is simply not accurate. Whether we could outspend Arky is doubtful. Auburn has a lot to offer but we cannot match dollars and/or rich alumni with the big state universities that have medical and law schools.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not trying to pick on you. Really not, however: The notion that AU could outspend Tenn. or Florida is simply not accurate. Whether we could outspend Arky is doubtful. Auburn has a lot to offer but we cannot match dollars and/or rich alumni with the big state universities that have medical and law schools.

The only school we couldn’t outspend is Tennessee. 

5 minutes ago, jtauburntiger said:

I love Lamp 

? Still on my first cup of coffee. That went over my head, which it may well have done under any circumstances. :)

quote from anchor man.... completely pointless 

sort of like disputing which school could spend more than the other on a head coach - when each of these schools is about to get over $100 million dollars from the conference in the next 2 months .   This not about who could... they ALL could.... this is about who will, and the reality is that Gus is leading this ship for the next 14 months no matter what - so I can tell you who won't.  

I love Lamp

13 hours ago, doverstutts said:

if the game comes down to the head coaches and their decision making , it will be four in a row......

I disagree with this. I am not saying GM makes the best decisions but saban is just an above average if even that game day coach. Too many times he has lost games he should not have with superior talent due to in game calls. Lately the talent disparity has been large enough to hide many flaws. saban's work is done during the week and off season. He is (even if there is some help) a great recruiter. He also instills an expectation of excellence and regardless of what so many of us think he has a process and it works. Everything he does is calculated including his rants with reporters. His biggest contribution to game days is keeping the level of expectations from kick off to the end of the 4th qtr regardless of a starter playing of a 5th string walk on.

Gus can out coach him. At least the Gus from the last few games can when he plays confident and gets after teams. 

31 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

The only school we couldn’t outspend is Tennessee. 

Most schools could out spend UT. For the last several years their athletic department has had major financial issues. They are starting to turn the corner now and that's thanks to the stability of having Jones for several years. A bad hire for them here will not help the turnaround at all. 

Just my opinion, but the moment Lindsey leaves for greener pastures we will be right back to Gus micromanaging again. Until the next OC proves he can take the reins without Gus's help. The only thing that has changed is CCL has proven he knows what he is doing and has earned Gus's trust. It is in Gus's nature to meddle and not trust until you've proven it on the field. (why hire someone if you're going to put them through a 4-6 game test to begin with?)

Before the season, I posted that if we won 9 regular season games including a win over either UGA or spuat then Gus deserved another year.  I stand by that.

wde

17 hours ago, AURealist said:

Must win out.

Even if we are in the playoffs and the nattie? Thats a bit unrealistic.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Now listen. I am not trying to pick on you I am really not! lol but Look at good ol little upstart underdog program Auburn athletic income for the 2016 athletic year. What will we ever do being 1 million behind florida and a couple hundred thousand of rocky top? Those 2 big bad state schools are so out of reach. AGAIN Auburn can outspend (I will even give you they MAYBE can just match) Florida and UT. Tamu is the only one out of the schools talked about who they could not and that is out of reach. That oil money runs deep. You always seem to really underestimate how much of a major power player Auburn is in sports. You always try to talk down the expectations we should have for the program and we should be grateful for what we have. You always "scold" the posters who want to strive for greatness and want more than just 8 win seasons. Auburn is a fringe blue blood and almost a top 10 all time program. We could easily be a top 10 all time program if we could just get some dang consistency on being great which is all what we want. Auburn can be as great as it wants to be. We have the potential to be BUT we all need to swing in one motion. Fans, administration, BOT and PTB.  We constantly have one of the highest if not the highest assistant coaching salaries. Pretty damn good for a school who is not a big state university. At 1 time or another we have had the highest paid assistant with Gus back when he was OC and Muschamp when he was DC in 2015. 

1 Texas A&M SEC $194,388,450 $137,101,774 $0 0.00
2 Texas Big 12 $187,981,158 $171,394,287 $0 0.00
3 Ohio State Big Ten $170,789,765 $166,811,018 $0 0.00
4 Alabama SEC $164,009,745 $145,277,366 $2,462,289 1.50
5 Michigan Big Ten $163,850,616 $157,872,099 $266,467 0.16
6 Oklahoma Big 12 $150,373,216 $127,268,340 $0 0.00
7 LSU SEC $141,651,460 $123,952,910 $0 0.00
8 Florida SEC $141,441,109 $121,307,116 $1,998,856 1.41
9 Tennessee SEC $140,448,955 $128,011,504 $0 0.00
10 Auburn SEC $140,070,593 $124,864,399 $5,438,372 3.88
11 Wisconsin Big Ten $132,788,726 $130,433,373 $2,805,000 2.11
12 Penn State Big Ten $132,248,076 $129,349,149 $0 0.00
13 Kentucky SEC $132,180,246 $127,225,580 $0 0.00
14 Arkansas SEC $124,981,042 $105,633,576 $0 0.00
15 Georgia SEC $123,841,268 $116,633,645 $3,233,143

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Before the season, I posted that if we won 9 regular season games including a win over either UGA or spuat then Gus deserved another year.  I stand by that.

wde

^^ My thoughts exactly. 

On the minus side:  2 tough losses - to the defending National Champs and current #2 team (9-1) (at their house) and to one of our biggest rivals and current #20 team (7-3) (also at their house).  Both were close games but granted we were in a position to win them both with better offensive coaching decisions. 

On the plus side:  Complete domination of #1 Georgia (9-1), #16 Miss State (7-3), and 4 middling SEC teams TAMU (6-4), Ole Miss (5-5), Arkansas (4-6), and Mizzo (5-5). 

Beating bama would make this a hugely successful year regardless of what happened in the SECCG or the playoffs!  Ask any of those traditional powerhouse SEC teams searching for a coach this year if they would trade places with us.   

Archived