Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if he finishes the year strong (10+ wins) he gets an extension after the season is over. Probably till 2022-23. 

If he makes it to the the playoffs I would not have a problem with it. Tell him we will work on it as soon as JJ is gone and replaced. If JJ does it he will be extended to 2035 with a $72 million buyout with no way for us to fire him outside of being convicted of murdering kittens. 

14 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

If he makes it to the the playoffs I would not have a problem with it. Tell him we will work on it as soon as JJ is gone and replaced. If JJ does it he will be extended to 2035 with a $72 million buyout with no way for us to fire him outside of being convicted of murdering kittens. 

I kind of agree with you. Even if he beats Bama this year and makes it to the SECCG I would be ok with extending his contract, but that's a big if. 

Only if it's performance based going both ways.  I know they have performance incentives for good years now but I want it to be less if he has a bad year.........

FYI I think all coaching contracts should be a low base salary with incentives for doing well and nothing for underachieving.

Leath will not let JJ do an extension. He is a lame duck AD.  The new AD - I think there will be a sit down discussion that says having a great season and beating our rivals every 4 years while laying goose eggs the other 3 ain’t going to cut it. Show me next year you can be consistent and will get an extension done.

Why extend the term of the contract?  He'll be getting a handsome bonus "if" AU wins SEC Championship and an even larger bonus "if" they win an NC.

I fail to understand how AU owes him a contact extension this season.......  He wins one game vs a top 5 opponent for the first time since 2013 and a contract extension is in the discussion?

What's wrong with giving an extension and a nice raise once he shows 3 yrs of consistency to make up for the 3 yrs of mediocrity?

Nope don't extend it .......and also send texts to all the kids in Georgia that they should probably give the dawgs a stronger looks since AU is not committed to its coach and he will probably be gone before they become eligible. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nope don't extend it .......and also send texts to all the kids in Georgia that they should probably give the dawgs a stronger looks since AU is not committed to its coach and he will probably be gone before they become eligible. 

Kevin Scarbinsky makes this same argument, which I don't agree with. As ClaytonAU said above, he is already signed through 2020. We aren't making any statements by not extending him this year. 

There is no clear yes or no answer.  All of that stuff should be discussed after the season is over.  He gets all sorts of performance bonuses based on what happens from here on out.  Any coach in America with any sense would take the Auburn job over the Arky job any day.  I don't think that is a consideration at all.  

19 minutes ago, keesler said:

Why extend the term of the contract?  He'll be getting a handsome bonus "if" AU wins SEC Championship and an even larger bonus "if" they win an NC.

I fail to understand how AU owes him a contact extension this season.......  He wins one game vs a top 5 opponent for the first time since 2013 and a contract extension is in the discussion?

What's wrong with giving an extension and a nice raise once he shows 3 yrs of consistency to make up for the 3 yrs of mediocrity?

Oooh. Ooh!   I know, because if he wins out and we don’t do anything TN, AR, FL and others can swoop in?

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

The key word here is "IF" he wins out. Why not wait to see "IF" he does win out.

Because he might jump ship before the season ends....maybe. 

6 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Because he might jump ship before the season ends....maybe. 

Gus doesn't adjust to change very well. I think he would stay at Auburn as long as Auburn wants him. 

39 minutes ago, AuGrad2004 said:

Only if it's performance based going both ways.  I know they have performance incentives for good years now but I want it to be less if he has a bad year.........

FYI I think all coaching contracts should be a low base salary with incentives for doing well and nothing for underachieving.

Absolutely. So much for a each type win: 100K for OOC, 200 K for P5OOC, 300K for SEC, 400k for SEC Champ, 500K for playoff and 600K for NC. Totals out near 4.5M.

I saw the title of this thread and thought wtf. Gus is still good through 2020. That's 3 more seasons. If....if...Gus has been truly awaken by the things that have transpired this season, then it will show next season as well. Then and only then should it even be considered. Some of you guys really need to pump the brakes on this sunshine pumping. We won ONE meaningful game so far this season. Let's let the tinglies wear off some and see how we finish out this season and start the next before we start proclaiming that Gus is the Auburn savior we've all wanted him to be.

I would obviously vote yes, but it's too soon to worry about that. If he beats Alabama and Georgia again there will be plenty of time to deal with Sexton between the SEC championship game and the playoffs. I'm not to worried about Arkansas. Malzahn knows it is a dead end job because of recruiting.  He may very well have beaten everyone nationwide at getting talent out of Florida. With Gainesville and Tallahassee both in chaos because of coaching  changes he will probably do it again. That could never happen at Arkansas.

20 minutes ago, War Eagle 96 said:

Oooh. Ooh!   I know, because if he wins out and we don’t do anything TN, AR, FL and others can swoop in?

Nope, not for our coach....they just swoop in on our recruiting prospects....negative recruiting is an SEC tradition and always dumb to give your opponent something to work with.   JMO

5 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Absolutely. So much for a each type win: 100K for OOC, 200 K for P5OOC, 300K for SEC, 400k for SEC Champ, 500K for playoff and 600K for NC. Totals out near 4.5M.

Might want to call up Jimmy Sexton and explain to him why that is a good deal for all of his clients since that's who you have to win the argument with ...not the college athletic departments. 

i voted yes but i did not realize he still has three years. but he did answer the bell when folks said beat ga or bama and win minimum nine games. i would give coach steele a nice raise. chip as well. if they are deserving of it give it to them.

I have no issue with give them a nice raise to their bonuses based on performance. I wouldn't have an issue with adding an automatic year addition for certain things like an 11 win season. 

Archived