Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

The kicker is... They weren't wrong then and they're not wrong now.

maybe premature then? ....perhaps?...you think?   :dunno:..

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Actually, the jury is still out.  

Gus chokes and starts whirly-birding tomorrow, villagers with torches and pitchforks may be forced-marching him toward the Piggie Plane to Arkansas.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Or... We could be thinking prematurely now. :blink:

I am on record (nobody cares, I know) over the last couple years giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he learned his lesson here or learned his lesson there.  Though we didn't see whirlybirds at least, after last year's Clem game, I truly felt that big games (thuga, Clem, LSU) turned him into a scared turtle and I truly gave up on him.  Tired of being teased.

But...I'm starting to genuinely wonder if the firing of JJ has anything to do with this beast that's unleashed.  I do think the PTB should wait until Sunday (let him focus on the game) but if he keeps this up you gotta admit, the turnaround is staggering.

Like I said elsewhere... I truly don't feel like ANYBODY has actually been wrong about him.  Like you said, it's SEC football craziness.

9 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Actually, the jury is still out.  

Gus chokes and starts whirly-birding tomorrow, villagers with torches and pitchforks may be forced-marching him toward the Piggie Plane to Arkansas.

And I'll freely admit, if they whirlybird, play 4 QB's & run up the gut on every first down with little success, I'll be right back off the bus.

But..... I'm feeling like something has truly changed in him.  I'm good with it going into tomorrow.  AU football has a good leader right now.

I’m absolutely sick of all of the Arkansas rumors. I think we extend him and lock him up now. What a crap show and not at all a strong collection of coaches out there. It would be so nice as a fan to be focused on the success of the team without worrying about whether or not our coach is going to be in place. Totally sick of it. 

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

And I'll freely admit, if they whirlybird, play 4 QB's & run up the gut on every first down with little success, I'll be right back off the bus.

But..... I'm feeling like something has truly changed in him.  I'm good with it going into tomorrow.  AU football has a good leader right now.

The thing is...if you are an actual decision maker you don't get to change you mind from one week to the next.  If that is how you go through life you must drive friends and co-workers crazy.

For better or worse folks need to show some guts and stick to whatever position they take....rather than see how the wind is blowing...and jump on or off accordingly...and of course you might wait and get all the information before acting......  JMO.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

The thing is...if you are an actual decision maker you don't get to change you mind from one week to the next.  If that is how you go through life you must drive friends and co-workers crazy.

For better or worse folks need to show some guts and stick to whatever position they take....rather than see how the wind is blowing...and jump on or off accordingly...and of course you might wait and get all the information before acting......  JMO.

Well okay then.  Luckily for AU I don't make any decisions at all so they're safe.

Enjoy the game.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Well okay then.  Luckily for AU I don't make any decisions at all so they're safe.

Enjoy the game.

Me neither...?   and I can't wait 'til the kickoff.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Me neither...?   and I can't wait 'til the kickoff.

War Eagle buddy! :cheers:

11 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Cool story bro...really. Surprised by your view because we usually see things eye to eye in most cases.  You're missing my point. Yeah, we had a good turn around and in my mind, a successful end to the season. But...imo, not a contract negotiating, doubling salary, extending an already extended contract type of season. Like I said, we win Saturday, then I think that lays the groundwork for those type of talks. 

I understand your point but mine is if you lol around explain who in the last seven years has topped his output. He is in the top 5 coaches in the country as far as Confrence titles and NC appearances. You maybe are one of those that believe we should win a title every year but that is not realistic. I can promise you there is no

one not named saben, Meyers or Dabo that have anything close to that record. Your just not logical if you fail to realize Gus is a top five coach and the other four are spoken for. Do I like everything he has done ? No but I can’t argue with where he ranks against the rest of the field. Like I said until he made a change after LSU I was ill with him also but he made the necessary changes and here we are. So I vote we pay the man and keep him. And top 5 coaches go for 6 million plus. Heck Jimbo just got 7.5 for ten years be cause he lucked out and beat us in 2013 with 36 seconds to go.

11 hours ago, gr82be said:

Win Saturday and I believe this Arky talk will be history. There's no way he leaves before the playoffs and Arkansas would have to make a move by then. 

I 110% agree with this. Gus would not leave if he knows he is in line to possibly win a NC and has a month to prepare for the playoffs. Arkansas wants to hire whoever they can within a week after the championship game. With recruiting in the balance, I cannot see them hanging around for another month waiting on Gus.  A win tomorrow will assure Gus of a huge pay increase and at least another 5-10 year contract worth over 6 million a year. If he wins tomorrow then he has earned the right to be the 2nd highest paid coach in the SEC and likely the nation.

If he loses tomorrow, things could change quickly. However, I still think with a loss tomorrow in a close game, Gus gets what he wants and stays at Auburn.

One thing though we need to look at seriously. How much has Chip Lindsey played in this remarkable season?  I think more credit should be given to him. Without him, Gus could have looked at another 8-4 season rather quickly. I think he is a huge X factor and one heck of a good offensive minded coach. He will make a super HC in the future. If Gus leaves after tomorrow to Ark., I say lets grab CCL and give him the HC position. I think he is one of the up and coming bright minds in college football and an elite OC much like Joe Moorehead the new MSU coach.

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think it would be foolish not to change your mind when facts change in fact that’s what’s wrong with folks today. They grew up believing one thing and then the fact show they are wrong and they refuse to change. Gus was having a problem trusting his coaches and his players. That had to change and it did. End of story, time to pay the fiddler.

Folks should remember Sexton gets a percentage so the more Gus make the more Jimmy makes. So just like any good employee he is taking care of his client. Folks need to understand when your coach becomes successful ( and that’s what everyone wants from them) then he becomes a wanted man. So the only option is to meet the opponents price or let him go and replace him. I promise it would cost you more to replace him with equal talent.

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think it would be foolish not to change your mind when facts change in fact that’s what’s wrong with folks today. They grew up believing one thing and then the fact show they are wrong and they refuse to change. Gus was having a problem trusting his coaches and his players. That had to change and it did. End of story, time to pay the fiddler.

Gus had to make some changes no doubt....that is his job.  But the idea that AU would basically give up on the season after 5 games ...fire the coach....that was ludicrous....

Are these Arkansas rumors of them actually landing him if we lose legitimate or is the media looking for stories? Serious question for anyone with an answer. No doubt he’s using it as leaverge for money but a lot of places are saying if we lose he is gone. He’d be a fool. He’s actually seeing his time and hard work put into Auburn pay off this season with the strength in this coaching staff and team. He’d be throwing all that away. Really don’t feel like starting over. 

All this talk about Gus wanting to "Go Home". Consider this:

Pat Dye is from Georgia. Auburn is his home.
Tommy Tubberville is from Arkansas. Auburn is his home.
Gene Chizik is from Florida. Auburn is his home.

Plenty of coaches coach away from their home state. Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher are both from West Virginia. Dan Mullen is from Pennsylvania, as is Joe Moorhead.

Another thing to consider. Suppose we lose tomorrow. Suppose Gus goes to Arkansas. What coach would want to come to Auburn if the end result of winning the SEC West is you run away?

Auburn would instantly replace Tennessee as the biggest football coaching dumpster fire in the SEC. The hot coaching prospects that might ordinarily consider Auburn would consider FSU first. We might still get a better hire than UTK, but the word would be out.

Just now, AU64 said:

Gus had to make some changes no doubt....that is his job.  But the idea that AU would basically give up on the season after 5 games ...fire the coach....that was ludicrous....

Just now, AU64 said:

I don’t know about others but most of those I saw said after LSU he had to win out or else be gone.Thats what he did. It’s just like Tam, UT, UF and Arky. All those coaches had a choice. Win or go home. Gus was in the same boat this year and will always be. Heck if Saben has 3 years of 7-5 at uat they would replace him too. That’s part of the reason the salary is so high. It used to be a coached could spend his whole career at one school. It ain’t that way anymore. Gus knows the deal. As I said he is smart. He knows that wins this year and fails to deliver next year he is back on the hot seat. So he want AU to anti up for his success this year. If you hey won’t then he makes a deal with Arky and he gets a new clock and has atlest 4 or 5 years before this crap starts again.

8 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Are these Arkansas rumors of them actually landing him if we lose legitimate or is the media looking for stories? Serious question for anyone with an answer. No doubt he’s using it as leaverge for money but a lot of places are saying if we lose he is gone. He’d be a fool. He’s actually seeing his time and hard work put into Auburn pay off this season with the strength in this coaching staff and team. He’d be throwing all that away. Really don’t feel like starting over. 

No AU is ready to pay up as they should. He made the SEC game win or lose. So he gets some money and a new three year clock. They will wait till after the season to see just how much he will get. If he wins it all AU will probably hit the 7 million mark.

About the going back home to Family line....

Don’t both of his daughters lives in ATL? One is about to have their first grandbaby so I would be shocked if they (especially the Grandma to be) want to move further away. 

Of course they could afford to fly their family around all the time, but...

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No AU is ready to pay up as they should. He made the SEC game win or lose. So he gets some money and a new three year clock. They will wait till after the season to see just how much he will get. If he wins it all AU will probably hit the 7 million mark.

It is pretty clear to me at least that Gus will be in the hot seat discussion any time there is an unexpected loss.  Sexton is going to make AU pay dearly for cutting Gus loose when it happens anytime in the future.

Archived