Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It is pretty clear to me at least that Gus will be in the hot seat discussion any time there is an unexpected loss.  Sexton is going to make AU pay dearly for cutting Gus loose when it happens anytime in the future.

As he should. That is Jimmy’s job. Like I said if you want to own a Mercedes you got to pay the dough.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AidiAU said:

I’m like 99% sure he’s a trustworthy one.

Oh i know wde is trustworthy. But sometimes even the best miss. Cant wait for the game tomorrow

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

That will be all the proof you will need.

And the fact that Jimbo is now at TAMU

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Five or six  weeks ago many folks wanted to fire Gus on his way home from church the Sunday after the LSU game.....and would gone to his house to help him pack. 

Now we discuss how many millions it will take to keep him.....SEC football is insane.

Agreed.  Frankly, I am having a little bit of a problem with it.  

Jimbo Fisher getting 75 million over 10 years?   Crazy. :no:

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m pretty sure you will hear in the next  24 to 48 hours that Arky is turning its search elsewhere. That will be all the proof you will need.

They have been floating the Tim Horton balloon for the past day or so.....

I honestly think this was more Sexton that Arkansas coming hard after Gus.  Arkansas searches are always extremely quiet and their hires come out of left field and are never the names they talk about on their forums.

I'm expecting someone that hasn't been associated with this search publicly, like Jeff Brohm.  That is how Arkansas rolls.

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

the hawg boards sure think Gus is coming back there

Hogville thought they were hiring Gruden when they hired Bielema :ucrazy:

50 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gus had to make some changes no doubt....that is his job.  But the idea that AU would basically give up on the season after 5 games ...fire the coach....that was ludicrous....

Ahem, 

20 pt. lead, Baton Rouge, 17 consecutive runs on first down. 

;D

11 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

the hawg boards sure think Gus is coming back there

Hogville full of village idiots.

13 hours ago, AURealist said:

Is there an extension involved?  Hasn't Gus contract already been extended thru 2020?

We just see things differently.  

I don't pay my building contractor more upfront for work I've already commissioned and have a signed contract on.  But that's just me.  I would consider him saying, "Pay me more now before I'm done or I walk" to be extortion.  I believe Gus already gets bonuses for winning the West, bowl games, etc...?

Gus could very well go 6-6 next year, and with this raise, he'll be making more for doing it.

Look, I just think we should see what this years's outcome is first.  I also think bargaining from a fear-of-potential-loss position generally produces bad results.

As an aside, I don't believe you're all that realistic in your opinions sometimes, but that's just an opinion as well...  ;)

Apparently, you and others have no clue how ridiculous the entire, "he's already extended through 2020" is. Jeff is dead on with knocking your username. Your opinions on this subject are more complete ignorance than realist. 

Gus isn't extorting anyone. We don't have to pay him anything more than previously agreed to. Just like aTm doesn't have to pay 7.5M/yr. for a major toolbag who only excelled when his conference was weaker and he had a psycopathic stud qb that he barely kept out of prison, and UF doesn't have to pay 6M for a guy averaging 8 wins/ yr over 9 years. We were ready to fire him 4 games ago despite him being the 3rd winningest SEC coach during his tenure. What rational adult could fault him for expecting a raise after winning the strongest division in CFB for the 2nd time in 5 years? 

It is a risk to assume he has turned the corner after the lsu game, but I think he has. That's not to say he won't ever struggle again, but I think he really grew as a coach after the lsu game. 

Your comparison to a building contractor............seriously. That's totally realistic. Lol. 

If the CGM of the last 5 weeks is the one that we are going to get, lock him down. I really think JJ retirement announcement had way more to do with this than anything else. 

So what type of deal does Gus get? 

My guess:

3 year extension to 2023.

6.7 mil a year

$15 mill guaranteed (basically the balance of current contract)

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Ahem, 

20 pt. lead, Baton Rouge, 17 consecutive runs on first down. 

;D

One game...most of the season still ahead....chance to win the SEC and more...:-\....but let's quit now...?  sure, that makes sense. .

7 hours ago, ChrisH said:

I really think JJ retirement announcement had way more to do with this than anything else. 

Did JJ micromanage Gus that much? It does seem like Gus has called much better games since Jacobs sent out a letter saying he was stepping down. As a matter of fact, we got the news of Jacobs stepping  on Nov 3 and on Nov 4th Gus made some great end of the half decisions against TAM. I remember thinking at the time where the heck did that great coaching come from.

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

So what type of deal does Gus get? 

My guess:

3 year extension to 2023.

6.7 mil a year

$15 mill guaranteed (basically the balance of current contract)

Rumor floating around is 5 year $35M with a $10M buyout that goes down $1M per year AND some veto power on new AD.

Let's look logically at the new normal in coaching salaries.  Dan Mullen just got $6M from Florida....Jimbo got $7.5 GUARANTEED in a 10 year deal from TAMU.  Mullen has nothing really to show for his time at MSU aside from somewhat bettering the program...Jimbo has conference titles and a national title. 

In 5 years at Auburn we have gone to the Natty once, won an SEC title and are on the brink of our second conference title and natty run.  What other Auburn coach has done that?  What other sitting SEC coach not named Saban has done that?

I would say Gus is worth more than Mullen but not quite Jimbo is fair.  

4 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Rumor floating around is 5 year $35M with a $10M buyout that goes down $1M per year AND some veto power on new AD.

Let's look logically at the new normal in coaching salaries.  Dan Mullen just got $6M from Florida....Jimbo got $7.5 GUARANTEED in a 10 year deal from TAMU.  Mullen has nothing really to show for his time at MSU aside from somewhat bettering the program...Jimbo has conference titles and a national title.....I would say more than Mullen but not quite Jimbo is fair.  

That's kinda where I was thinking it would be, between those 2. My first thought was 7.2 before I  edited to 6.7. Interesting on the AD veto power if true

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

That's kinda where I was thinking it would be, between those 2. Interesting on the AD veto power if true

I think that has a lot to do with Gus making sure he is comfortable and that Auburn doesn't bring in another JJ.  

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yes and Bret Bielema got 11.8 payout when they fired him. Oh how I would love to be fired that way. 

56 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Yes and Bret Bielema got 11.8 payout when they fired him. Oh how I would love to be fired that way. 

Arkansas and Bielema's attorney actually negotiated it down some.  Arky and the RZ wanted to pay $5M-$6M, Bielema's attorney wanted the full $15.4M he was due.

Why in the %&*^ Arkansas ever gave him that kind of buyout is beyond me.  No one was after Bielema.  NO ONE.  

Say what you will about JJ and dumb moves, but that contract extension by Long takes the cake.

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

I posted this elsewhere, but I am so with you.  Two mission trips to Kenya ruined me, as if I needed anymore ammunition.  What that would cure, feed, provide...

Carry on!

:wareagle:

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

One game...most of the season still ahead....chance to win the SEC and more...:-\....but let's quit now...?  sure, that makes sense. .

I know you're coming from an angle of calm stability and I respect that.

But you do realize those of us who wanted him gone after the LSU game, it was not JUST from that one game right?

Those feelings were based on 3+ years of bad decision making, inability to adjust to adversity, big game choke jobs and being 0-6 in amen corner (while being completely inept in the thuga games). Plus, we're all okay with the Kick-Six but the Miracle in J-H was only necessary because of Gus' first monumental choke job against the pups to begin with.

These are not knee-jerk reactions as your presenting and although we're all incredibly excited that Gus seems to have turned a corner, these discussions are still going on because, frankly, everybody is a bit nervous that he might revert back to the nutty professor again.

If you truly sat back satisfied that he was going to right this ship after LSU then not only were you in the vast minority, but I want to call on you next time I'm in Vegas!

Archived