Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Well I didn't want to be the one to tell you...

:Sing:

this one hurts fam. Who knows the next time we will get a crack at a championship. It was all out in front of us. I truly thought gus had turned a corner and we were playing like the best team in the country.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Gotta agree on this.....the worst part of this forum is the constant carping over Gus.....spoils the enjoyment of the exchanges of opinions when some folks are so dogmatic on the subject .....and frequently downright irrational in my view.   

Gus moving along might provide a re-set and shake the trees of those "one trick ponies" who seem to spout just one message over and over. . 

We do not need to follow Tennessee's example. Stay the course instead of changing horses and having to wait another 3 years to see if our impatience was worth it.

13 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm not asking for him to be fired but he hasn't earned a raise. He still has to earn the one he has at the moment. 2020. It's not hard to say to Gus: We're committed to you as our HC. We see the changes you've made and like the direction, we're moving in. We would like to continue that and you as our coach. We want to continue to contend for championships at AU and if you continue to make the needed changes to compete against the best, we will reward you.

Let's go win this bowl game and get prepared for a better start to the season in 2018. If after then he wants to leave...oh well. It's not saying we will not pay you at all. It's saying that let's continue the improvement and we will take care of you sooner than later if you're performing. And let's not forget...this is the position GUS has placed himself in...not AU

My sentiments exactly. Yes he improved as a coach. Talk of an extension is ridiculous at this point and is just another way for Sexton to play both us and Arky again. His makes almost 5 mill a year. He got us to the SEC Championship game but his failure at LSU put us in a must win position to make the playoffs. So I call that a draw....he earned his salary but not a penny more. If he balks at staying for his current pay I say let him go and let Arky swallow his buyout while we use that money to get someone like Brent Venables. JMHO

If he doesn't want to stay, be gone.  Depending on which coaches go with him, he will struggle on defense and with his offense, until he can attract his kind of players.  He won't consistently win more that 8 or 9 games and they won't be happy with him either.   Then he'll be Arky's problem.  If we raise his salary, we'll still struggle the way we have for the last 4 years.  His unwillingness to play younger skill players in game situations will continue to give results like what we saw last night.  I love KJ, but he should not have played last night.  If the other RB's had been used during the season other than for 1 play, which every defense knew what it was, they would have been ready to stand up.  JS was off with his passes all night.  Maybe if Willis had been used in games during the season, JS could have been benched for a series to send him a message.  That's my biggest complaint about Gustav.  He doesn't seem to consider the long term when to play players so they can develop. Look at how many young players we have played on defense this year.  When guys have been banged up, someone was ready to step up.  I got off the Gus Bus after LSU.  That was the stupidest exhibition of play calling next to the insane strategy we had against Clemson last year.  Nope, there's no way he deserves an extension.

15 hours ago, au701948 said:

We do not need to follow Tennessee's example. Stay the course instead of changing horses and having to wait another 3 years to see if our impatience was worth it.

We don't need to follow Texas A&M example, either. It should be a push and pull agreement for both sides. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

We don't need to follow Texas A&M example, either. It should be a push and pull agreement for both sides. 

I fully agree that we should negotiate but be willing to increase pay term length given the “current” market. Offering a $250,000 increase is not going to cut it, whereas $6million/yr may be the new benchmark. JMO

Just now, au701948 said:

I fully agree that we should negotiate but be willing to increase pay term length given the “current” market. Offering a $250,000 increase is not going to cut it, whereas $6million/yr may be the new benchmark. JMO

I agree with that. On another thread I said the 6 mil sounds about right. 7.1...IONO

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I agree with that. On another thread I said the 6 mil sounds about right. 7.1...IONO

Wishing and hoping that the AU management can make it happen. And sooner than later.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I remember (I think it was you?) in another thread talking about a putative demand for veto power over the next AD. I wonder if Gus would take less for that. I mean, at this point, money is not the only currency Auburn can deal in. 

Sounds like Gus is sticking around and Norvell is heading to Arkansas.  Norvell missed his presser for the Liberty bowl and Arkansas said they would want an answer today.  Chip has also committed for next year and Steele is sticking around for his retirement $$$.  2014 with a defense could be realized.  Maybe we’ll put 55 on Bama again minus the points they scored.

45 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I remember (I think it was you?) in another thread talking about a putative demand for veto power over the next AD. I wonder if Gus would take less for that. I mean, at this point, money is not the only currency Auburn can deal in. 

Good point, but I got to say, I don't know if I like the idea of an HC having veto power over who the institution wants as their AD. Especially since the AD is in charge of many more things than just football. I just think the goofballs from Arkansas are willing to give Gus the whole freaking state and now we are in a bind.

• 11 months later...
On 11/16/2017 at 9:12 AM, keesler said:

Why extend the term of the contract?  He'll be getting a handsome bonus "if" AU wins SEC Championship and an even larger bonus "if" they win an NC.

I fail to understand how AU owes him a contact extension this season.......  He wins one game vs a top 5 opponent for the first time since 2013 and a contract extension is in the discussion?

What's wrong with giving an extension and a nice raise once he shows 3 yrs of consistency to make up for the 3 yrs of mediocrity

Thank you keesler.

On 12/1/2017 at 4:58 AM, slipadeedoodah said:

Wow. Just wow. A&M is about to pony up big for a coach who just barely edged Malzahn out of his only National Title and y’all want to let the only coach in the SEC who’s beaten Saban (twice) walk unless he wins his 3rd Top 6 matchup in a row.

Some fans don’t deserve to win, I guess

The only thing I got out of this thread is that Jimmy Sexton chose a weird name to post with @slipadeedoodah. Last post Dec 1, 2017.  Last visit Dec. 17, 2017. I'll give him credit, he worked his ass off for this one.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:38 PM, beaumak said:

No, no, and no. unless we win the championship, i say no. for several reason but also whenever we do give a big extension and more money the following year we suck. need to get out of that shooting from the hip habit.

Boom 'nough said! sorry for tooting my own horn but damn.

Will Smith Film GIF

14 minutes ago, beaumak said:

Boom 'nough said! sorry for tooting my own horn but damn.

Will Smith Film GIF

Yeah.  I went back and looked at my posts as well.  

Funny that the ones who were so wrong and giving us so much crap then are still wrong and giving us crap now.  

On 11/30/2017 at 6:18 PM, AUsince72 said:

The only hesitation, in my eyes, is wait til this Saturday.

Win or lose, if AU plays smart and is competitive, then it's safe to assume (as much as it can be) that Gus has truly turned the corner from overly cautious professor to magnificent beast.

If that's the case then he might as well get at least as good as lil general.  .... probably should be even better.

The only thing I can say is I didn't like the idea of negotiating when he should have been preparing for only the biggest game of the year in the SECCG, even then, and I've harped in it since.  I don't forgive Gus for that and he certainly hasn't earned forgiveness in 2018.

Had they waited, either the team would have had a LOT better showing or we might not be in this mess.

Either way, he ain't fooling me again.

Archived