Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Might want to call up Jimmy Sexton and explain to him why that is a good deal for all of his clients since that's who you have to win the argument with ...not the college athletic departments. 

Ding ding ding ding... AU64 wins the prize.

Very rarely does a school go "hey, I think I'm going to extend my coaches contract". What happens is that the coach does something noteworthy and their agent is on the phone with the school as soon as possible, negotiating.

You can bet the house on the fact that, if we win the SEC, Sexton will be on the phone with whoever will talk to him the next day... if not sooner, and with Arkansas likely coming open, he's going to have some leverage.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not jump the gun. Let's see how the rest of the season goes.

He has proven that for 1 game he has learned his lesson. We need him to prove he has learned it permanently first.

8 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I saw the title of this thread and thought wtf. Gus is still good through 2020. That's 3 more seasons. If....if...Gus has been truly awaken by the things that have transpired this season, then it will show next season as well. Then and only then should it even be considered. Some of you guys really need to pump the brakes on this sunshine pumping. We won ONE meaningful game so far this season. Let's let the tinglies wear off some and see how we finish out this season and start the next before we start proclaiming that Gus is the Auburn savior we've all wanted him to be.

AMEN!

There is zero evidence that Gus has miraculously found the secret formula to field a consistently competitive program that can compete for championships year in and year out.  

One ass whipping of a major rival and a top 5 team in 3 1/2 yrs in no way justifies a freaking contract extension for a HC that has displayed major deficiencies at this level of coaching. 

"IF" another program comes calling and seriously wants to pursue Gus to the point where they make a valid offer for a HC job, THEN Auburn can evaluate the situation and counter offer if they wish.  But the Auburn Administration should be smarter and not allow a "Jimmy Sexton" type to pimp out Gus and throw out rumor upon rumor with little to no validity just to get his client a huge extension & pay raise.  

Yes...

If they play Alabama very well to the end, win or lose.

If they win 10 games. 

No...

If they blow up and lose big to Alabama.

Just because we beat Ga is not reason to give him a big raise. We are supposed to beat GA in any given year. 

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nope, not for our coach....they just swoop in on our recruiting prospects....negative recruiting is an SEC tradition and always dumb to give your opponent something to work with.   JMO

GUS has been a myriad of crap on a silver platter for years.  All recruits and their parents had to do was watch a damn AU game vs any strong opponent, then look at the post-season play (bowl games) all the way to the freaking NFL draft. 

AU has been the poster child for inconsistency and instability for nearly a decade.  It's frankly amazing AU continues to pull in top 10 classes - the fact that after 3-4 years a huge chunk of those highly ranked classes aren't even on the roster provides even more negativity on the recruiting trail.   

No.

Handing the undefeated #1 team a big, fat, satisfying "L" does not warrant an extension. In my opinion, he still has more to prove as far as being worthy of an extension goes. He still has to play yet another undefeated #1 team. If he wins that, then wins the SEC, then heads to the playoffs, he's proved he learned his lesson from his mistakes.

Auburn should wait until the end of next season before negotiating any contract extensions. We'll have a better idea of where we're at as a program and his capabilities as a head coach. There's still a lot left to be proven.

No. He has years left on the current one.

I think he has already made his decision on what he will do if certain programs come calling. I do not think money will be the reason he makes a move if he chooses to do so.

I'd say let whatever performance bonuses he may be in line for be it for this year. He looks to have had a breakthrough game last week but let's see if it can happen again. And guess what, it doesn't even have to be a win against Bama. Just look like we belong on the field and don't give the game away. Gus is a smart man, he knows exactly why fans have been disappointed with him. I'd say no on a raise and extension. This is not the best analogy but if I'm test driving a car and it performs really well on the test drive I'm not going to tell the salesman that I'll pay more that originally quoted. I'm paying what was agreed on regardless. Gus performed well last week but he has a contract. If he agreed to coach at Auburn for his base plus incentives then both sides honor it and be done with it. Not trying to be cold or hard but I can tell you that no one including Gus would tolerate inconsistent paychecks. If the payroll department decided to check out one day early and not finish the job then someone doesn't get paid. Gus checked out on LSU. Plain and simple. Okay, I'm done. :-\

It is all about perception.  It can help with recruiting to see, that on paper, your coach is signed through your 4 years of school there.  Obviously there are repercussions for terminating a contract early in regards to money owed from one side or the other.  I would be in favor of extending a few years without increasing base salary right now, but would like to see how he finishes the regular season before re-negotiating an increase in salary.  The question really lies in what do we do when another school comes calling, especially if before the season is over.  Of course Arkansas is the name we are hearing, and if he goes there, it will not be because of the money.  I am thinking a power 5 school or two outside of Arkansas may reach out as well.

2 hours ago, leglessdan said:

We won ONE meaningful game so far this season.

Actually we've won EIGHT meaningful games. Unless we only need to beat our rivals now to be successful?

Just giving you a hard time. I know what you mean. :)

I will say, in Gus' defense, that his players love him. They don't want him going anywhere. As fans we get to be overly critical of his decision making during games but we don't know everything that goes on in that locker room, on the practice field, in his office, in the film rooms, in player's living rooms, or his own home. We just want the best outcome for our team and you know they do too. But if you asked those guys if they'd rather play for Gus or for Saban, I bet you 99% of them will say Gus and mean it.

We can talk about extensions in a few weeks. Nothing will be done until we get a new AD anyway, regardless of what Sexton may try to do.

No. 

A.  He has 3 more years on his current contract any way. 

B. Who would represent AU AD?  The lame duck AD?  It would make much more sense for the guy he’s going to be working for the next 3 years to discuss this possibility. 

C. He hasn’t merited a raise/extension. The uga game was great!  The lsu game was at least equally as awful. The last 2 years were subpar. If my employee underachieves for 2+ years and then puts in one really solid week, I’m going to encourage him and motivate him to do that consistently and when that time comes (not now!) it will be reflected in his paycheck. 

2 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I saw the title of this thread and thought wtf. Gus is still good through 2020. That's 3 more seasons. If....if...Gus has been truly awaken by the things that have transpired this season, then it will show next season as well. Then and only then should it even be considered. Some of you guys really need to pump the brakes on this sunshine pumping. We won ONE meaningful game so far this season. Let's let the tinglies wear off some and see how we finish out this season and start the next before we start proclaiming that Gus is the Auburn savior we've all wanted him to be.

I can't see giving Gus anything more than a one year extension.  If your dog bites you every time you enter your home you don't give him a treat when you walk in one day and he doesn't.  Since 2013 Gus has finished 1st, Tied for 4th, 7th, and 3rd in the SEC.  That averages to 4th place.  Gus currently has the 3rd highest salary in the SEC since Freeze is gone.  8-5 and 7-6 with a sprinkle of hope every 4 or 5 years don't cut it with me for a contract extension.  1 victory against our rival that wasn't a fluke play does not mean contract extension.  That sounds like something Jay Jacobs would do and quite frankly it reeks of the media baiting us into doing it.

If Jay has truly made it hard for Gus and that has been the problem then lets see how it plays out next year before selling the farm.  In my opinion as great as the Thuga win is, it gets cancelled out by the complete bafoonery of the LSU collapse. Good coaches don't lose 20 point leads over the course of 2 quarters to Ed Ogre.  

Has Gus turned the corner?  Is he now a coach that has learned from horrible mistakes? Has ole Jay been holding Gus back?  Lets let him prove it over time before we start throwing cash out the window after 1 overdue win against a rival.

No, no, and no. unless we win the championship, i say no. for several reason but also whenever we do give a big extension and more money the following year we suck. need to get out of that shooting from the hip habit.

Definitely not and I hope Gus isn't thinking he deserves one. He deserves heaps of praise for the win vs UGA but the criticism pointed towards him over the last few years was well warranted. If he feels like that was unfair then his mind is not in the right place, nobody is saying that he felt it was unfair but if the criticism was what drives him to leave AU on his own after 2 8 win seasons sandwiching a 7 win season then that may be for the best because you need to be able to handle what happens to the program under YOUR watch here. 

Absolutely no on the extension.   If history serves me correctly, JJ always had some kind of roll over in his contracts anyway.   Something about Winning a certain amount of games, you would get another year added on

here is a different slant:

Keep the contract through 2020 (or whatever) and 3 years of base after that of about 33% today's current salary.  The remaining is all incentive based.  And really high dollars.

Why?    Publicly Gus has a contract longer than Kirby (and whomever) then  each year we add another year on.   the last 3 yrs only cost us about 1 yr in "real dollars".   

Then Gus has a choice - keep the safe $5 mil or take the higher incentive laden contract.  Either way, we get rid of the negative recruiting.  

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

Nope don't extend it .......and also send texts to all the kids in Georgia that they should probably give the dawgs a stronger looks since AU is not committed to its coach and he will probably be gone before they become eligible. 

now now 64:cool:

10 hours ago, War Eagle 96 said:

Oooh. Ooh!   I know, because if he wins out and we don’t do anything TN, AR, FL and others can swoop in...

We think alike. Down to the Kronk imitation, too. ("Emperor's New Groove")  

Fear of "sudden swoop" catalyzes polarizing, merit-debatable contract extensions? Right. Just wondering if anyone else out there is as weary of the "Fear-Driven-What-If?" mentality that permeates our culture as  I am. I mean, seriously. "Waiter, there's a fly in my soup." "Well, ssshhh...or all of the other customers will want one too." I would have a salary higher than Saban's if I had one dollar for every procedure I now have to follow because:

1. Some eejit did something eejity or

2. "I can't let you do ______ because then everyone else would want to, also" Or, "If I do it for you, I'll have to do it for everyone." (AS IF EVERYONE IS ASKING, WANTING, OR EVEN THOUGHT OF IT TO BEGIN WITH.)

Creativity and common sense are one step closer to extinction every time fear determines a decision. Rant over.

If we win championship extend it. If not don’t. That simple. His resume doesn’t out kick his contract anyway. This from a Gus fan. 

11 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Because he might jump ship before the season ends....maybe. 

So we beat Georgia and now we want to give Gus an extension because Arkansas may want him. Really if he wants to leave then bye one game or even two does not translate into him becoming a good head coach. The past several years of mediocrity cannot be erased by winning out this season. The direction of this program is what matters so there should be zero talk of giving him an extension for any reason. If he wants an extension then earn it because the past few years he has done little earn his salary.

Archived