Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus may be gone anyway, Arkansas Boosters & BOT's are putting together something for him, read about it on 247 sports. 

sounds like it will be his call to leave not ours, 

Should do a poll do you think he would leave for Arkansas?

He is already under contract for the '18, '19 and '20 season. If he wins the SEC Championship it also means beating bama and Georgia twice. I say add 1 year to his contract because he would have earned it imo. Any school in the SEC would give at minimum a 1 year extension for an SEC championship.  

3 hours ago, thaitopher said:

That's funny. Which site?

Hogville is the name of it.

Comments you will see the most from their fan base, Auburn is nothing without paying players, Auburn is a cult, Auburn is a wanna be Alabama, Auburn is delusional, my favorite is the guy referring to us a cow college despite Arkansas also being an agriculture university.

Arkansas is a fan base I've never liked. They like to trash everyone else and somewhere, somehow, and in someway, everything occurs because the state of Texas screwed them lol.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Arkansas sucks

Out loud 

On 11/16/2017 at 10:02 AM, AuGrad2004 said:

Only if it's performance based going both ways.  I know they have performance incentives for good years now but I want it to be less if he has a bad year.........

FYI I think all coaching contracts should be a low base salary with incentives for doing well and nothing for underachieving.

This X 1000. 

On 11/16/2017 at 9:12 AM, keesler said:

Why extend the term of the contract?  He'll be getting a handsome bonus "if" AU wins SEC Championship and an even larger bonus "if" they win an NC.

I fail to understand how AU owes him a contact extension this season.......  He wins one game vs a top 5 opponent for the first time since 2013 and a contract extension is in the discussion?

What's wrong with giving an extension and a nice raise once he shows 3 yrs of consistency to make up for the 3 yrs of mediocrity?

I don't have anything to add to this post. This is beyond accurate. With the weight of this decision you have to look at someone's entire body of work. Not respond with a knee jerk reaction that could stick is with an awful buyout that would set us back almost a decade.

Nope. The only way Gus should get an extension is if we win the SEC Championship and make the CFP. 

Arkansas should not even be in the SEC and USC either as far as I am concerned. If Bielma could not make it work at Arky, Gus likely will not either. Bielma was a pretty good coach at Wisconsin and looked like the perfect hire for the pigs and this did not pan out. If Gus leaves for Arkansas, it will be the end of his career a few years down the road much like Bielma.  Gus will not be able to bring in top 10 classes at Arkansas like he has been able to do so at Auburn.

If Gus leaves for greener pig stys, then it will be a poor career choice and one that will have him mired in mediocrity for 5 or so years before he takes the path of a Chizik, Nutt, Tubs and so on. Tubs never could replicate anything close to what he did at Auburn during his time at Texas Tech and Cincy. 

Gus offense in the SEC will not work without elite talent like he has been able to bring in at Auburn  Heck if Gus leaves for Arkansas, I say lets go after Paul Chryst at Wisconsin and let him bring in top  10 talent and do a number on teams such as Arkansas.

I just want us to beat bammer and keep the ball rolling. If we do this, Arkansas becomes nothing more than a blip on Gus radar as he keeps winning at a school that has all he needs to succeed much more so than Arkansas.

The amusing part of this thread is that giving extension to these coaches who do not deserve them has gotten us into mess that athletic department is in. We have paid out millions in buyouts that these coaches never earned in the first place. Maybe for once we should see if Gus or any other coach can actually develop a program that is worthy of an extension and quit throwing money around like it's monopoly. 

This question and poll are premature. Mid-January would be a good time to ask. There are too many games still ahead of us. A raise right now would be just as stupid as those that wanted to fire Gus three weeks ago. Let it play out.

13 hours ago, Tigercj said:

The amusing part of this thread is that giving extension to these coaches who do not deserve them has gotten us into mess that athletic department is in. We have paid out millions in buyouts that these coaches never earned in the first place. Maybe for once we should see if Gus or any other coach can actually develop a program that is worthy of an extension and quit throwing money around like it's monopoly. 

AMEN!

There is no evidence other than message board and random rumor mills (instigated by Jimmy Sexton) at this time that any program will come courting Gus.  When the time comes and "IF" another program requests to interview him and they extend an offer, THEN Auburn can reciprocate as they see fit "IF" Auburn wants to retain him.

But right now, there is no opening for a head football coach at Arkansas is there? :dunno:

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

This question and poll are premature. Mid-January would be a good time to ask. There are too many games still ahead of us. A raise right now would be just as stupid as those that wanted to fire Gus three weeks ago. Let it play out.

If we win the NC I can't see how we don't, but you are right.Way too premature

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give us an update on a potential contract extension for Gus? I live in Ark and everyone here expects him to come to Arkansas but last night rumors started swirling about Gus signing an extension at AU before the game Saturday.

Can anyone provide some insight into what's going on b/c there seems to be a lot of smoke around the Gus to NWA rumors and i'm not sure if there is any fire. Keep in mind that Arkansas fans are the most delusional fans in the country so its hard to separate fact from fiction.

I know there are a lot of mixed feels on the board about Gus, but with all the talent in our program offensively and defensively, I would like to see where this thing goes over the next few years.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, arktiger05 said:

Can anyone give us an update on a potential contract extension for Gus? I live in Ark and everyone here expects him to come to Arkansas but last night rumors started swirling about Gus signing an extension at AU before the game Saturday.

Can anyone provide some insight into what's going on b/c there seems to be a lot of smoke around the Gus to NWA rumors and i'm not sure if there is any fire. Keep in mind that Arkansas fans are the most delusional fans in the country so its hard to separate fact from fiction.

I know there are a lot of mixed feels on the board about Gus, but with all the talent in our program offensively and defensively, I would like to see where this thing goes over the next few years.

Thanks

Many Arkansas fans are delusional. Gus is going to be paid plenty to stay where he is. There is no upside for him to go to Arkansas.  They will always be a mid-level SEC team and Auburn will always have shots at titles. They can't out-bid us if it comes to that.  We make a good $15 million a year more than they do in our AD.

To my knowledge, there was no extension offered before the Alabama game, but you can bet Sexton is already warming up his signing pen, ready to hand it to Leath or whoever makes that call during the AD transition. He's probably been in every ear he can get access to since the Georgia win. As I write this WFE12 posted proof.

12 minutes ago, arktiger05 said:

Thanks

I expect a extension to be announced before the SECCG. Auburn and Gus. Sorry the Ms. Piggies. 

Archived