Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

On 11/16/2017 at 6:06 PM, Beaker said:

here is a different slant:

Keep the contract through 2020 (or whatever) and 3 years of base after that of about 33% today's current salary.  The remaining is all incentive based.  And really high dollars.

Why?    Publicly Gus has a contract longer than Kirby (and whomever) then  each year we add another year on.   the last 3 yrs only cost us about 1 yr in "real dollars".   

Then Gus has a choice - keep the safe $5 mil or take the higher incentive laden contract.  Either way, we get rid of the negative recruiting.  

The thought here is good; but not realistic. No coach would sign up for this. They don't have to.  Gus can move on to tons of other jobs and have another guaranteed contract with incentives just like he has today. That's just the way it is. Unless all schools move to a small base with huge incentives, no coach will sign up for this.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Per Barnett, Arkansas boosters and fans remain optimistic the Razorbacks could convince Malzahn to leave the Plains for his home state if the Tigers lose to Auburn in the SEC Championship Game on Saturday.

Guess there's no chance of him going, because I don't see any way we will lose to ourselves.

16 minutes ago, arktiger05 said:

Can anyone give us an update on a potential contract extension for Gus? I live in Ark and everyone here expects him to come to Arkansas but last night rumors started swirling about Gus signing an extension at AU before the game Saturday.

Can anyone provide some insight into what's going on b/c there seems to be a lot of smoke around the Gus to NWA rumors and i'm not sure if there is any fire. Keep in mind that Arkansas fans are the most delusional fans in the country so its hard to separate fact from fiction.

I know there are a lot of mixed feels on the board about Gus, but with all the talent in our program offensively and defensively, I would like to see where this thing goes over the next few years.

Thanks

Have you been watching Knoxville?

45 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Have you been watching Knoxville?

For sure, and UT fans clearly have a screw loose. Living in Arkansas and listening to sports talk radio out here, these folks are way out there in terms of expectations and their own importance.

Thanks all for the responses. War Eagle!

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Guess there's no chance of him going, because I don't see any way we will lose to ourselves.

Come on now @lionheartkc.  You know AU is the best college on the planet at shooting their self in the foot.  JJ may want to go out with a big F*** You and tell CGM to go ahead and go to Arky if he wants.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I noticed that too. Good catch.

13 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Come on now @lionheartkc.  You know AU is the best college on the planet at shooting their self in the foot.  JJ may want to go out with a big F*** You and tell CGM to go ahead and go to Arky if he wants.

Even so, I think they would still give the W to the Georgia, not Auburn, if the Tigers lost. I guess the refs could come up with a reason to disqualify us... wait... forget I said that. Don't want to give Emmert any ideas.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I expect a extension to be announced before the SECCG. Auburn and Gus. Sorry the Ms. Piggies. 

That's likely a wise move.  With the shallow talent pool, this isn't a good time to be shopping for a new head coach.  Hopefully they can get our coordinators secured as well.  

9 minutes ago, gctiger said:

That's likely a wise move.  With the shallow talent pool, this isn't a good time to be shopping for a new head coach.  Hopefully they can get our coordinators secured as well.  

Indeed since this combination seems to provide the missing link that was missing. 

I was just over looking at posters on TOS and I’m totally shocked at AU fans acting like children about Gus to Arky. They need to get a grip. First I believe Gus would be an idiot to leave AU and I don’t think he will . Will he play this years success and Arky’s failure for a raise ? Yes and it is justified. Will Auburn pony up? Yes and they should. But worse case senerio if Gus did leave. We are not UT nor Uf or Arky or ATM. This team is playing for the Sec and possible the playoffs. A NC and a runner up in the last 7 years. Fixing to be like 6 straight top 10 recruitment classes. There are really good coaches that are stacked up to take this job. Only uat, OSU and Clemson have done better in the last 7 years. Folks worried about the what if are folks that know little about college football. Heck the last 5 coaches to come to AU were successful. Why wouldn’t it be a great choice.WDE

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I was just over looking at posters on TOS and I’m totally shocked at AU fans acting like children about Gus to Arky. They need to get a grip. First I believe Gus would be an idiot to leave AU and I don’t think he will . Will he play this years success and Arky’s failure for a raise ? Yes and it is justified. Will Auburn pony up? Yes and they should. But worse case senerio if Gus did leave. We are not UT nor Uf or Arky or ATM. This team is playing for the Sec and possible the playoffs. A NC and a runner up in the last 7 years. Fixing to be like 6 straight top 10 recruitment classes. There are really good coaches that are stacked up to take this job. Only uat, OSU and Clemson have done better in the last 7 years. Folks worried about the what if are folks that know little about college football. Heck the last 5 coaches to come to AU were successful. Why wouldn’t it be a great choice.WDE

And there's this...
Tubberville - fired, treated pretty badly.  Where does he live now?
Chizik - fired. Where does he live now?

Why would Gus choose to leave Auburn for Fayetteville?

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And there's this...
Tubberville - fired, treated pretty badly.  Where does he live now?
Chizik - fired. Where does he live now?

Why would Gus choose to leave Auburn for Fayetteville?

So Tubby got fired because he kept playing the Arky card. He deserved it . Chizik  got fired for 3 win season . He deserved it. If Gus does either one then he will deserve it. If he wants to be a child and take his toys and go home because AU was not going to put up with consecutive 7-5 seasons . Then by all means don’t let the door hit him in the butt on the way out. I have no fear that AU can hire another one just as good or better.

This is the perfect time for Gus to capitalize on a very unique situation.

He just went from hot seat to hot commodity in a matter of a few weeks.  After beating 2 #1s in 3 weeks, no one seems to remember the fact that he has overachieved for 1 1/2 years and underachieved for 3 1/2 years.  Plus, this is a terrible time to be looking for a HC!  If Gus left AU then Ogre at LSU (who just finished his first regular season as HC at LSU) would be the 2nd longest tenured HC in the SECWest!!!!!  AU really needs to keep Gus and establish some stability.  And there aren't many candidates that look like a homerun replacement right now.  He has AU by  the gonads right now!  (If you would have told me that would be the case 4 weeks ago, I would have laughed hysterically!!!!!  But it is so true right now!

And btw, Tubs and Sexton played the "home to Arky" card a few times.  This would be Gus' first time to play that card.  He needs to show me that he can know what the heck he is doing near the beginning of a season before I believe he's worth a raise and extension, but we'll have to give it to him to give him a chance to prove it.  Don't you just love this side of college football......

4 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

The thought here is good; but not realistic. No coach would sign up for this. They don't have to.  Gus can move on to tons of other jobs and have another guaranteed contract with incentives just like he has today. That's just the way it is. Unless all schools move to a small base with huge incentives, no coach will sign up for this.

yeah.   I wrote that well before Gus's resurgence.  If the coach is teetering on getting the ax, then something like that is creative.  You're right, coaches have so much leverage these days.

10 minutes ago, AURealist said:

It's too early to ask this question. 

Gus gets lazy when he's comfy.  Let's leave him hungry for now and see what he can do.

What he can do is go elsewhere. Right now it's a coach's market and Gus is very close to the top of the heap. Like it or not, Mullen, whose success level is nowhere close to what Gus has accomplished, just got $6.1 million a year from Florida. We can pay Gus more or get on the wagon with a dozen other schools looking for a coach. We need to pay him up to what market conditions are, and $6 million looks like a lower level.

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

It's too early to ask this question. 

Gus gets lazy when he's comfy.  Let's leave him hungry for now and see what he can do.

Huh? He absolutely will get raise. Colleges are desperate and throwing money around like candy.

The only hesitation, in my eyes, is wait til this Saturday.

Win or lose, if AU plays smart and is competitive, then it's safe to assume (as much as it can be) that Gus has truly turned the corner from overly cautious professor to magnificent beast.

If that's the case then he might as well get at least as good as lil general.  .... probably should be even better.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What he can do is go elsewhere. Right now it's a coach's market and Gus is very close to the top of the heap. Like it or not, Mullen, whose success level is nowhere close to what Gus has accomplished, just got $6.1 million a year from Florida. We can pay Gus more or get on the wagon with a dozen other schools looking for a coach. We need to pay him up to what market conditions are, and $6 million looks like a lower level.

I  totally agree. First of all, there is a darn good staff in place and secondly, a change (now, for no apparent reason really) just sets AU back several years. He deserves at least the consideration given Mullen at Florida. AND I hopeful that it may very well be announced as done before tomorrow is over. JMHO

Archived