Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Again show me who has done more than Gus. Third SEC game maybe 3 rd NC game . How many coaches out there do you know that has a better resume? Just beat two CFP # 1s in a row. You must be from another planet. That has NEVER been done . So what is it you want ? A saben clone. He is about as close as there is and much younger. He worth north of 6 million. But I think the thing he really wants is a stadium and facility up grade. This is where we beat Arky bad. It would take them a long time to even get to where AU is now facility wise. But Gus wants to use this point to make them better . After the LSU game I did not think he would turn the corner but he has. Pay for he man.

Actually, Gus is 2-3 vs bama, 2-3 vs UGA, 2-3 vs LSU, has 1 SEC Title and is 1-3 in post-season bowl play including a NCG which he lost.

Q: Who is actually going to give a crap about AU beating two in-season #1 teams if Gus chokes and AU loses on Saturday?

A: Nobody.  That's who.  Nobody.  Nobody is going to care.  Not one person anywhere will care except the Auburn fans who applauded the AUPTB furiously shoveling millions of greenbacks into Gus Malzahn's bank account. 

I hope to God we win on Saturday.  This money madness coupled with a loss is just too damned miserable to contemplate.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

well then who do you want as our next head coach? cause he will walk if we do what you want to do.

Well let him walk. I just can't justify an extension just from 2 wins. 

20 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Actually, Gus is 2-3 vs bama, 2-3 vs UGA, 2-3 vs LSU, has 1 SEC Title and is 1-3 in post-season bowl play including a NCG which he lost.

Q: Who is actually going to give a crap about AU beating two in-season #1 teams if Gus chokes and AU loses on Saturday?

A: Nobody.  That's who.  Nobody.  Nobody is going to care.  Not one person anywhere will care except the Auburn fans who applauded the AUPTB furiously shoveling millions of greenbacks into Gus Malzahn's bank account. 

I hope to God we win on Saturday.  This money madness coupled with a loss is just too damned miserable to contemplate.

Maybe you should take up non-competitive sport fishing and forget about football. If having a team that's competing for championships frequently doesn't make you happy, then football is going to be a long, hard struggle for you.

This whole discussion is nuts!  We are getting ready to play for the SEC Championship.  We have an exciting team who has just beaten to no 1 teams in 3 weeks and so our "fans" want something better?  Any change now will be for the worst.  

Let's all get on the Gus bus for the rest of the year and bring this stuff up in 2018 after the season is over, if it's still even relevant..  

Was Eagle and out until Saturday afternoon.  I can't take anymore of this.

What's funny is how some were all in on the Fire Gus train but now he's a top 5 coach? lol. I'm not saying he's not a top 5 coach but he's already been extended. Let's see how the rest of this season plays out. Gus has just now seen the light. Why is it so bad to see how the rest of the season plays out and next season as well. 

Recruiting has actually picked up. I don't see how it would fall off with we don't give him an extension. Just like many were so quick to fire him...some are too quick to give him a raise for something that should've been accomplished years ago. I'm for a bonus but if the old Gus appears then everyone on here will be back with their pitchforks with the quickness talking about how much more his buyout is.

Let's just worry about Saturday!!!

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Recruiting has actually picked up. I don't see how it would fall off with we don't give him an extension. 

Just don't give him a raise and extension, let him go to one of the many teams that would love to have him and will pay more money, and watch that recruiting fall right off the edge. Those kids are not signed yet. They can de-commit in a heartbeat.

Just now, Mikey said:

Maybe you should take up non-competitive sport fishing and forget about football. If having a team that's competing for championships frequently doesn't make you happy, then football is going to be a long, hard struggle for you.

I do fish.  I play golf, too.  I also hunt from time to time.

Rest assured that I will give your advice every second of the thoughtful consideration it deserves.  

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Just don't give him a raise and extension, let him go to one of the many teams that would love to have him and will pay more money, and watch that recruiting fall right off the edge. Those kids are not signed yet. They can de-commit in a heartbeat.

He's extended through 2020. That's enough at this point. If he really wants to go to Arky then IMO he'll go no matter what. If he wants to go where he'll have a clear disadvantage in recruiting and to coach in the toughest division in CFB (now with the addition of Jimbo) then oh well. Some you sound like Jay Jacobs as an extension at this point would be a complete JJ move. Win the NC then we can talk. 

Being reported now that A&M is giving Jimbo $7.5 mil/yr for 10 years. Looks like we need to suck it up and give him a better contract. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He's extended through 2020. That's enough at this point. If he really wants to go to Arky then IMO he'll go no matter what. If he wants to go where he'll have a clear disadvantage in recruiting and to coach in the toughest division in CFB (now with the addition of Jimbo) then oh well. Some you sound like Jay Jacobs as an extension at this point would be a complete JJ move. Win the NC then we can talk. 

His options aren't limited to Arkansas. What he deserves to get from Auburn is what the market is currently paying. That includes a raise and contract extension. Why do you want to pay less than the going rate?

Just now, Mikey said:

His options aren't limited to Arkansas. What he deserves to get from Auburn is what the market is currently paying. That includes a raise and contract extension. Why do you want to pay less than the going rate?

Who else has Gus on their list at this point? He's getting paid what he signed to get paid. I'm sure he'll probably get a raise. I just don't think it's necessary at this point when only a program like Arky is calling for him and that has to do with him being from there and his ties to the state. Gus would be a homerun for them. but what other program is legitimately considering Gus at this point? Now if that changes then fine but sorry Arky doesn't scare me. And if he wants to go back to Arky a few more million to start a program from the bottom up and expect to replicate anything close to what he has done at Auburn then good luck. 

Like i said...he'll probably get since these other coaches are getting crazy numbers but doesn't mean i think he deserves it at this point. He'd just be reaping the benefits of the increasing market. 

I'm pretty sure Tennessee would be delighted to have Gus. Plus, he has family in Nashville. There will be an FSU/aTm opening at one place or the other. Then there's.....need I go on? If any company wants to keep  good employee, they pay the going rate or lose that employee to a competitor. We are currently paying Gus below the going rate for a coach with his accomplishments. It's a case of pay up or lose out and to think we'll get somebody "just as good for less money" is living in la-la land. If that were possible, Florida wouldn't be paying Mullen $6.1 million a year.

Tennessee has had everybody on their list except Gus. lol. So yes, please go on. Maybe if Gus wins Saturday they will target him but at this point, he'd be like their 5th or 6th choice.  You pay employees who have consistently proven themselves. It's not like Gus is getting paid pennies. There's no rule that he can't be extended a contract during the season next year if we're seeing the same results. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm pretty sure Tennessee would be delighted to have Gus. Plus, he has family in Nashville. There will be an FSU/aTm opening at one place or the other. Then there's.....need I go on? If any company wants to keep  good employee, they pay the going rate or lose that employee to a competitor. We are currently paying Gus below the going rate for a coach with his accomplishments. It's a case of pay up or lose out and to think we'll get somebody "just as good for less money" is living in la-la land. If that were possible, Florida wouldn't be paying Mullen $6.1 million a year.

There is a crap ton of ignorance on this thread. You won't get anyone proven for less than an extension with Gus would cost. If you're saying don't give Gus an extension you are saying, "start the coaching search, now!". Gus won't accept a slap in the face. 

So we either bank roll a proven coach for more than we're paying gus, which is no guarantee of success, or take a complete risk for slightly less money on an up and coming coach. Honestly, I think the offer amount depends on whether we beat UGA Saturday, but even a loss would warrant an extension and raise. 

We have treated Gus like a business prospect more than anything else. It's the way big time CFB goes today. How could we expect him to treat his salary as anything less than a business issue? 

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Well let him walk. I just can't justify an extension just from 2 wins. 

Might as well let it go man. When it's all over and he gets his extension Gus will be one lucky sum bit.... Just playing. Got his hide saved though. Really glad things have turned around but things could go awry next year. I know this season made out to be one of the best of our history and we're not even done yet but this craziness has to stop. This doing stupid, outlandish stuff and suddenly acting right again has to stop. It's not good for our hearts or our minds. Like I said before some things you accept with your head coach and these discombulating letdowns are not it.  Ok now he's learned his lesson about being aggressive...He's learned to trust his oc and give control of the offense...So that SHOULD mean that next year and all those following we should actually do that from the start. Like @McLoofus and others have said he brought this on himself and I don't apologize for anything but now I'm willing to support him as long he stops with the nonsense. When we lose in the future(hopefully not for the rest of this season) let it be because we plain got outplayed not because our coach played 3 qb's, took his foot off the pedal, or ran the ball 17 straight times on first down.

Just now, WFE12 said:

Might as well let it go man. When it's all over and he gets his extension Gus will be one lucky sum bit.... Just playing. Got his hide saved though. Really glad things have turned around but things could go awry next year. I know this season made out to be one of the best of our history and we're not even done yet but this craziness has to stop. This doing stupid, outlandish stuff and suddenly acting right again has to stop. It's not good for our hearts or our minds. Like I said before some things you accept with your head coach and these discombulating letdowns are not it.  Ok now he's learned his lesson about being aggressive...He's learned to trust his oc and give control of the offense...So that SHOULD mean that next year and all those following we should actually do that from the start. Like @McLoofus and others have said he brought this on himself and I don't apologize for anything but now I'm willing to support him as long he stops with the nonsense. When we lose in the future(hopefully not for the rest of this season) let it be because we plain got outplayed not because our coach played 3 qb's, took his foot off the pedal, or ran the ball 17 straight times on first down.

Oh i agree. I agree that he'll probably get it. I just don't understand the logic of some. Especially those that were ready to pack up his stuff and move him out of Auburn but now ready to hand over all the money. lol. Just shows how things can quickly change. I was one that was willing to help him pack but at the same time, i'm not ready to say all is great. I don't think it's too much to ask for some consistency considering Gus's track record as HC at Auburn.

But it is what it is. He'll be paid b/c of the market but i don't buy if we don't pay him that we should be scared of losing him to any other school besides Arky. So that doesn't really make me want to run to the negotiating table to raise his pay. That's just me though. I understand business and understand that's just the "price" you have to pay in business sometimes. He still has work to do and it continues on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

What's funny is how some were all in on the Fire Gus train but now he's a top 5 coach? lol. I'm not saying he's not a top 5 coach but he's already been extended. Let's see how the rest of this season plays out. Gus has just now seen the light. Why is it so bad to see how the rest of the season plays out and next season as well. 

Recruiting has actually picked up. I don't see how it would fall off with we don't give him an extension. Just like many were so quick to fire him...some are too quick to give him a raise for something that should've been accomplished years ago. I'm for a bonus but if the old Gus appears then everyone on here will be back with their pitchforks with the quickness talking about how much more his buyout is.

Let's just worry about Saturday!!!

Here is where I am at. DO I think he deserves this monster raise and extension to match what arky is going to throw at him? ehhhhh I go back and forth. Beating 2 number 1's and HOW we did it gave me pause and do a complete 180 from where I was after the LSU game. Do I trust him 100% yet? heck no!! I still walk on eggshells.  In a perfect world I want to see more than a few games worth to see if he has really changed. BUT we do not have that option unfortunately . Arky has forced our hand where we have no choice but to match, get close or even go over what arky is asking OR we stand to start a coaching search late in the game and erase all this recruiting momentum we have been on lately and the foundation gustav has built.  The rules have changed now since arky is going to make us have to pay up for gus. there is nothing we can do about it. Just the way it is. IF we had a ace in the hole in a proven coach like jimbo waiting in the wings  out there then we would have some leverage but IDK if we do. We are in a tough spot so I do see where you are coming from. It sucks to deal with sexton BUT again I rather deal with him and his games because it means our coach is in demand and we are having a great season. You have a problem when no one wants your coach! lol WAR DAMN!!!! I just want to win some championshipS for the next 2 months!!! WAR DAMN!!!!

It's not the matter of how many other schools are lining up to get him - there is one, and making no secret of a willingness to pay him. The economics aren't driven by the magnitude of demand, just the presence of it in this case. He has Auburn over the barrel. Pay him or be Tennessee. 

Wow. Just wow. A&M is about to pony up big for a coach who just barely edged Malzahn out of his only National Title and y’all want to let the only coach in the SEC who’s beaten Saban (twice) walk unless he wins his 3rd Top 6 matchup in a row.

Some fans don’t deserve to win, I guess

What's the buyout should he walkout?

I assume AU was smart enough to put one in the contract?

Arky really willing & able to pay the buyout, Bert's buyout, AND what Gus is asking?

Gus really willing to leave this (now suddenly on the cusp of greatness) situation to rebuild a pig pen?

I say, at least wait until Sunday.

27 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

What's the buyout should he walkout?

I assume AU was smart enough to put one in the contract?

Arky really willing & able to pay the buyout, Bert's buyout, AND what Gus is asking?

Gus really willing to leave this (now suddenly on the cusp of greatness) situation to rebuild a pig pen?

I say, at least wait until Sunday.

Arky boosters are apparently thrilled about the idea of buying out Malzahn, then giving him a raise, and an extension. There is no ambiguity, he is their #1 choice.

Why wait though? Is beating Georgia again going to prove something new?

12 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

Arky boosters are apparently thrilled about the idea of buying out Malzahn, then giving him a raise, and an extension. There is no ambiguity, he is their #1 choice.

Why wait though? Is beating Georgia again going to prove something new?

I get what you're saying.

But, if his loyalty to AU is that fine a thread or if his feelings are so hurt from the criticism of Whirlybirds & Folding Tents then Arky can have'im.

I just think grown up adult coaches & administrations can focus on Saturday and save the contract til Sunday.  That's all.

Archived