Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I get what you're saying.

But, if his loyalty to AU is that fine a thread or if his feelings are so hurt from the criticism of Whirlybirds & Folding Tents then Arky can have'im.

I just think grown up adult coaches & administrations can focus on Saturday and save the contract til Sunday.  That's all.

It’s not just about hurt feelings. Arkansas is his home and if they are offering him 5 years while we’re only guaranteeing him 3. It gives him something to think about. Doesn’t mean he’s not loyal to Auburn, but I would expect him to always do what is best for his family, which would be to take the better deal and it’s almost an insult if Auburn can’t at least match Arkansas.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

Why wait though?

Good question. A win is still a win and loss is still a loss. Apparently some fans cannot accept a loss at face value. Sometimes we are just not the better team on that day, and not every loss requires choking. Georgia is going to be pissed, it’s not looking good with Kerryon, and they basically have home field advantage, so it’s going to be a dogfight this time. Whatever the result, we still have a 10 season and had more success than I could imagine we’d have this year. 

I am not saying Gus deserves a raise/ extension but because Arkansas wants him badly, we have to pony up if we want to keep him. This isn’t  a “rush to  paying him” or “money hysteria,” it’s normal business. 

So again, if you vote no to an extension, you’re basically saying you’re fine with Gus walking.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Good question. A win is still a win and loss is still a loss. Apparently some  “fans cannot accept a loss at face value. Sometimes we are just not the better team on that day, and not every loss requires choking. Georgia is going to be pissed, it’s not looking good with Kerryon, and they basically have home field advantage, so it’s going to be a dogfight this time. Whatever the result, we still have a 10 season and had more success than I could imagine we’d have this year. 

I am not saying Gus deserves a raise/ extension but because Arkansas wants him badly, we have to pony up if we want to keep him. This isn’t  a “rush to  paying him” or “money hysteria,” it’s normal business. 

So again, if you vote no to an extension, you’re basically saying you’re fine with Gus walking.

On top of all this, with every big win Gus adds to his resume I guarantee you Sexton is upping his demands.

3 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

It’s not just about hurt feelings. Arkansas is his home and if they are offering him 5 years while we only guaranteeing him 3. It gives him something to think about. Doesn’t mean he’s not loyal to Auburn, but I would expect him to always do what is best for his family, which would be to take the better deal and it’s almost an insult if Auburn can’t at least match Arkansas.

Gus can remain loyal as long as the Auburn admin allows him to remain loyal. I’m sure he remembers when he was one second from losing the buyout bowl against Les Miles. Or just a month ago when everybody said he had to beat either UGA or Bama to keep his job. If the Auburn boosters and Leath slight him, he can be gone in a hot second with a clear conscience ( except for the recruits that committed to him.)

I'm not voting "no" BTW.  If this "new" Gus is now the REAL Gus, I'd support making him the highest paid coach in the game.

I'm just hoping they are focused on the game tomorrow and not Arky/AU tug-o-war.

34 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

Arky boosters are apparently thrilled about the idea of buying out Malzahn, then giving him a raise, and an extension. There is no ambiguity, he is their #1 choice.

Why wait though? Is beating Georgia again going to prove something new?

Q: Is giving Gus $3 million more and then losing big to UGA in an epic Gus Bus Breakdown going to prove something new?  

A: Sadly... no.  

I don’t know how many of you remember what our offenses looked like before Gus came along on 2009. Even in the good Tuberville years, we only had one really good offense(2004) after Petrino left.

Every other year was plagued with predictability and inconsistency. Sadly, 2006 was our second best year after Petrino left and that was the year Gus spanked us in his first year as a college coordinator.

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Q: Is giving Gus $3 million more and then losing big to UGA in an epic Gus Bus Breakdown going to prove something new?  

A: Sadly... no.  

It’ll prove to recruits that we’re serious about keeping Gus around which is a concern that Kirby and Nick have been bringing up all too frequently on the recruiting trail these past 2 years.

1 minute ago, slipadeedoodah said:

It’ll prove to recruits that we’re serious about keeping Gus around which is a concern that Kirby and Nick have been bringing up all too frequently on the recruiting trail these past 2 years.

Yeah.  Because nothing says "We take football seriously. Come play for us." like shelling out big bucks to a coach just before he chokes himself out of a championship game against a team that beats us most of the time.  :-\ 

Just now, AURealist said:

Yeah.  Because nothing says "We take football seriously. Come play for us." like shelling out big bucks to a coach just before he chokes himself out of a championship game against a team that beats us most of the time.  :-\ 

Yes.

....and your lack of faith is disturbing.

Just now, slipadeedoodah said:

Yes.

....and your lack of faith is disturbing.

You misspelled "completely justified based on Gus' past performance".

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Because nothing says "We take football seriously. Come play for us." like shelling out big bucks to a coach just before he chokes himself out of a championship game against a team that beats us most of the time.

What SEC Championship game has he ever choked away? You’re assuming the worst on your own volition when the context and Malzahn’s history suggest you shouldn’t.

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

You misspelled "completely justified based on Gus' past performance".

We could just wait until after he wins the playoff when we’ll have to pay him Jim Harbaugh money.

You know... just to be safe.

4 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

We could just wait until after he wins the playoff when we’ll have to pay him Jim Harbaugh money.

Why not pay now and later, right?  What makes you certain there won't be a second round of negotiations either way if he wins it all?  

The current salary system seems to be that 'salary + bonuses' is show up to work money and raises are now 'win in the future' payments.  Is that not how it's working?

14 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

Since it ain't my money >:D, yes.

Honestly, I think it would be cool knowing that AU had another natty notch in their belt and bammers were discussing having to pay lil general "Malzahn Money".  Tee-hee, Tee-hee...

War Eagle.

9 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Why not pay now and later, right?  What makes you certain there won't be a second round of negotiations either way if he wins it all?  

The current salary system seems to be that 'salary + bonuses' is show up to work money and raises are now 'win in the future' payments.  Is that not how it's working?

When Arkansas says come home now and we’ll pay you while Auburn is kicking tires, I would expect Malzahn to be fantasizing about his ex.

His extended family is probably all Hog fans too.

7 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

When Arkansas says come home now and we’ll pay you while Auburn is kicking tires, I would expect Malzahn to be fantasizing about his ex.

His extended family is probably all Hog fans too.

Malzahn will probably end up in Arkansas at some point.  If he goes now, then he's in it solely for the money and if that's the case, he should go because it would be best for everyone in the long run.

This whole conversation is moot and irrelevant, anyway, right?  I mean, haven't we already taken your sage advice and agreed to an extortion payment worth at least $1 million?

I get that Arky is home and all, but that angle doesn't worry me.  If Gus were AU's OC sure....but not as HC.  Gus IS a professional and business can be a little more than money (or homecomings).

Keep in mind, we're not talking about a "living wage" like (most of) the rest of us live with.  He is, and will be, filthy-stinkin' rich regardless.  A HUGE part of his decision will be based on realistic opportunity & job satisfaction... He can afford to make his decision based SOLELY on those factors if he so chooses.

Assume (unicorn alert) you live very comfortably either way:

Would you rather make $10.00/hr as a bar-tender at The Tilted Kilt or would you rather make $10.25/hr as a burger flipper at McD's?

That is the REAL choice Gus is up against.

9 hours ago, gulftiger66 said:

This whole discussion is nuts! ..........................

Was Eagle and out until Saturday afternoon.  I can't take anymore of this.

Great move on your part. I stayed in this thread too long, trying to reason with the irrational.

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Malzahn will probably end up in Arkansas at some point.  If he goes now, then he's in it solely for the money and if that's the case, he should go because it would be best for everyone in the long run.

You’re full of negatively slanted assumptions. Surely you cannot call yourself a realist with a straight face. 

If I was AD......

I would offer him and assistants a fair raise and extension. 

However, I would negotiate from a position of strength. I still can't get over going 0-6 vs. rivals the last three yrs. and then the fiasco in baton rouge.

I would not match an insane $8.4M offer Arkansas or whoever wants to throw at him. I would go $6M at my top end with possible sweeteners.

Gus has earned a contract extension.

Ok, now to my main point. The only reason people think Gus may leave is to go "home". Auburn is a better job in every other facit. Speaking of his assistants, how many Auburn alumni are on his staff? You think they are wanting to move to Arkansas? This is where the "going home" argument breaks down for me. Gus has been at Auburn for eight years, made it to three Seccg and two Natties with another in reach. Gus would have to hire a completely new staff. Steele ain't going up there. 

Gus is home. I would explain that to him, and then offer him a fair raise/extension.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You’re full of negatively slanted assumptions. Surely you cannot call yourself a realist with a straight face. 

If you follow the thread, Slip and I were merely discussing hypothetically about the wisdom of pre-paying a raise before the hard work already paid for is done and the possible ramifications.  As I mentioned, we've decided to bow to the extortion, so all these arguments are merely thought experiments.

In other NEWS, Gus is .400 in post Iron Bowl play.  

Thank you for your erudite commentary on my screen name.

She was the girl next door. A seven. You had a huge crush on her. You were friends but she never took you seriously because you were a nerd. Both of you grew up and drifted apart.

You came into your own, got a six figure job, women started to take notice. You start dating a sorority girl you knew from college, a solid 9.

At first things are great, sparks are flying. Then come the fights. She claims you’re stubborn. She constantly nags you and claims that you don’t appreciate her like you did that first year. You don’t remember important dates like you used to. You even catch her occasionally flirting with other guys.

Suddenly you run into your old crush at the super market one day. She just got out of a relationship. You can’t help but notice that the two of you are flirting. You exchange numbers, “just to talk.”

After days of texting jovially, she gets suddenly serious. She misses you. She says she was a fool to ignore you all those years. She just wants to be with you. She loves you. She always has, she just didn’t know it.

Moral: If you think Gus won’t go to Arky because it’s an inferior job, you’re not taking this seriously enough. This is real.

9 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If you follow the thread, Slip and I were merely discussing hypothetically about the wisdom of pre-paying a raise before the hard work already paid for is done and the possible ramifications.  As I mentioned, we've decided to bow to the extortion, so all these arguments are merely thought experiments.

In other NEWS, Gus is .400 in post Iron Bowl play.  

Post Iron-Bowl record is the same as Iron Bowl record. Either we're broke down by then or we aint. I would only consider the '13 FSU game. This thread should be suspended 'til Sunday. Especially since there's no a.d.'s in here.

16 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If you follow the thread, Slip and I were merely discussing hypothetically about the wisdom of pre-paying a raise before the hard work already paid for is done and the possible ramifications.

There is nothing prepaid about the possible extension. It is an obligation that needs to be met IOT keep Gus on the roster and to keep our program stable. It’s also not prepaid in the sense that successful seasons should be rewarded, and playing in the SECCG should be rewarded. Our football program is on the upswing, recruiting is going great, and it appears that Gus has turned the corner. 

Its not like we are giving Gus a raise for going 6-6, again. And it’s not like we have many options to choose from if we do let Gus walk away. 

16 minutes ago, AURealist said:

You’re welcome. Because it doesn’t fit and you make the real realists like myself look bad. 

Archived