Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

18 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

She was the girl next door. A seven. You had a huge crush on her. You were friends but she never took you seriously because you were a nerd. Both of you grew up and drifted apart.

You came into your own, got a six figure job, women started to take notice. You start dating a sorority girl you knew from college, a solid 9.

At first things are great, sparks are flying. Then come the fights. She claims you’re stubborn. She constantly nags you and claims that you don’t appreciate her like you did that first year. You don’t remember important dates like you used to. You even catch her occasionally flirting with other guys.

Suddenly you run into your old crush at the super market one day. She just got out of a relationship. You can’t help but notice that the two of you are flirting. You exchange numbers, “just to talk.”

After days of texting jovially, she gets suddenly serious. She misses you. She says she was a fool to ignore you all those years. She just wants to be with you. She loves you. She always has, she just didn’t know it.

Moral: If you think Gus won’t go to Arky because it’s an inferior job, you’re not taking this seriously enough. This is real.

MAN, that's a great story.  I'm watching the Hallmark Channel later!!

You could be right for sure.  I don't think so, but that don't mean nuthin'.  Luckily too, it don't matter how serious we take it...as long as the PTB take all angles seriously.. 

War Eagle.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think that AU can do better than MR. COACH MALZAHN, but I don't want to try.   IF, IF, IF this is the coach that we carry on with in the future, then I want to go ahead and marry up with him, even if we really don't love each other.   Sometimes, a marriage of convenience is better than no marriage at all.   Give him what he wants and call the preacher

Pretty simple....Auburn wins Saturday and he makes his price. At minimum, he should get 6 mil. A year.  However, I do wonder what tune people will be singing if somehow we lose Saturday and bammer backs their way in and wins it all?

20 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

She was the girl next door. A seven. You had a huge crush on her. You were friends but she never took you seriously because you were a nerd. Both of you grew up and drifted apart.

You came into your own, got a six figure job, women started to take notice. You start dating a sorority girl you knew from college, a solid 9.

At first things are great, sparks are flying. Then come the fights. She claims you’re stubborn. She constantly nags you and claims that you don’t appreciate her like you did that first year. You don’t remember important dates like you used to. You even catch her occasionally flirting with other guys.

Suddenly you run into your old crush at the super market one day. She just got out of a relationship. You can’t help but notice that the two of you are flirting. You exchange numbers, “just to talk.”

After days of texting jovially, she gets suddenly serious. She misses you. She says she was a fool to ignore you all those years. She just wants to be with you. She loves you. She always has, she just didn’t know it.

Moral: If you think Gus won’t go to Arky because it’s an inferior job, you’re not taking this seriously enough. This is real.

One possibility is that you find out that girl next door turns out to be just like the sorority girl after you move in together.....bustn your balls on the daily. She starts unloading the baggage on you that you didnt realize was going on in her life and to top it off she's made some bad choices with money (recruits). Its going to take a long time to dig out of this hole. 

Moral of the story: Auburn and Gus may realize the grass isnt always greener and wish they stayed together.

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

I still think that AU can do better than MR. COACH MALZAHN, but I don't want to try.   IF, IF, IF this is the coach that we carry on with in the future, then I want to go ahead and marry up with him, even if we really don't love each other.   Sometimes, a marriage of convenience is better than no marriage at all.   Give him what he wants and call the preacher

If he wins Saturday,  I would have zero reservations about it regardless of how the playoffs played out. Wde

10 hours ago, AURealist said:

I do fish.  I play golf, too.  I also hunt from time to time.

Rest assured that I will give your advice every second of the thoughtful consideration it deserves.  

So does AUrealist really mean that you are in fact not a real AU fans? Just asking for a friend. ?

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

There is nothing prepaid about the possible extension. It is an obligation that needs to be met IOT keep Gus on the roster and to keep our program stable. It’s also not prepaid in the sense that successful seasons should be rewarded, and playing in the SECCG should be rewarded. Our football program is on the upswing, recruiting is going great, and it appears that Gus has turned the corner. 

Its not like we are giving Gus a raise for going 6-6, again. And it’s not like we have many options to choose from if we do let Gus walk away. 

You’re welcome. Because it doesn’t fit and you make the real realists like me look bad. 

Is there an extension involved?  Hasn't Gus contract already been extended thru 2020?

We just see things differently.  

I don't pay my building contractor more upfront for work I've already commissioned and have a signed contract on.  But that's just me.  I would consider him saying, "Pay me more now before I'm done or I walk" to be extortion.  I believe Gus already gets bonuses for winning the West, bowl games, etc...?

Gus could very well go 6-6 next year, and with this raise, he'll be making more for doing it.

Look, I just think we should see what this years's outcome is first.  I also think bargaining from a fear-of-potential-loss position generally produces bad results.

As an aside, I don't believe you're all that realistic in your opinions sometimes, but that's just an opinion as well...  ;)

17 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

MAN, that's a great story.  I'm watching the Hallmark Channel later!!

You could be right for sure.  I don't think so, but that don't mean nuthin'.  Luckily too, it don't matter how serious we take it...as long as the PTB take all angles seriously.. 

War Eagle.

Wow. That’s some deep love novel stuff. AU is a 10, Arky a 4. 

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Pretty simple....Auburn wins Saturday and he makes his price. At minimum, he should get 6 mil. A year.  However, I do wonder what tune people will be singing if somehow we lose Saturday and bammer backs their way in and wins it all?

Uat might get in even if we do win . In fact the talking heads say uat needs is to win for uat to even have a chance. If they wind up losing to a two loss non conference champ then that would be bad on their resume.so that said what would Gus losing have to do with uat playing. It is one thing to get to the SEC in a weak Sec east group but to win the west is an achievement in its own self. Uat wasn’t a pushover. I’m not sure what you folks consider a good year anymore. Most of the people on here after the LSU game said it would take winning one of the two final SEC games or both for Gus to right the ship. Not only did he do that but he beat them convincingly. I think some of you just continue to move the goalposts.

14 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

One possibility is that you find out that girl next door turns out to be just like the sorority girl after you move in together.....bustn your balls on the daily. She starts unloading the baggage on you that you didnt realize was going on in her life and to top it off she's made some bad choices with money (recruits). Its going to take a long time to dig out of this hole. 

Moral of the story: Auburn and Gus may realize the grass isnt always greener and wish they stayed together.

Well, the story was more about the temptation to leave than the consequences thereafter, but you’re probably right.

13 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

If we lose (which we won't) the reaction of fans will depend on how we look.  If we look good and still get beat the reaction will be OK.  If we pull a LSU 2nd half fiasco then it may not be a pretty reaction. 

Win Saturday and I believe this Arky talk will be history. There's no way he leaves before the playoffs and Arkansas would have to make a move by then. 

7 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So does AUrealist really mean that you are in fact not a real AU fans? Just asking for a friend. ?

:D

Why ask such a silly question?  Does being an Auburn fan, in your friend's mind, require one to be unrealistic in one's views about the football program? 

BTW:  I'm an alum and, unlike you perhaps, I'm only one fan.  ;)

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Uat might get in even if we do win . In fact the talking heads say uat needs is to win for uat to even have a chance. If they wind up losing to a two loss non conference champ then that would be bad on their resume.so that said what would Gus losing have to do with uat playing. It is one thing to get to the SEC in a weak Sec east group but to win the west is an achievement in its own self. Uat wasn’t a pushover. I’m not sure what you folks consider a good year anymore. Most of the people on here after the LSU game said it would take winning one of the two final SEC games or both for Gus to right the ship. Not only did he do that but he beat them convincingly. I think some of you just continue to move the goalposts.

Cool story bro...really. Surprised by your view because we usually see things eye to eye in most cases.  You're missing my point. Yeah, we had a good turn around and in my mind, a successful end to the season. But...imo, not a contract negotiating, doubling salary, extending an already extended contract type of season. Like I said, we win Saturday, then I think that lays the groundwork for those type of talks. 

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

If we lose (which we won't) the reaction of fans will depend on how we look.  If we look good and still get beat the reaction will be OK.  If we pull a LSU 2nd half fiasco then it may not be a pretty reaction. 

That's my point exactly.  Don't put the cart before the horse. 

Another funny thing about this is, all the talk is how we can win if Kerryon can't play. Why don't we have an experienced,  established #2 RB? KP has been hurt or in the doghouse all year, why hasn't another back been groomed to fill in? 

18 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I don't pay my building contractor more upfront for work I've already commissioned and have a signed contract on.  But that's just me.

False analogy

19 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Gus could very well go 6-6 next year, and with this raise, he'll be making more for doing it.

And, if no raise is offered, we are very likely going to need a new coach, will have to weather staff turnover and a recruiting storm, and possible similar on the field production as Gus’s floor next year. 

Might as well, just offer Gus the extension and keep the program afloat.

8 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Some people get it.  Realistic fans understand that L's are gonna happen.  ...of course.  But AU should be good enough to ALWAYS be competitive at least and not look like a HS team (Clem '16) or scared turtles (LSU '17, thuga '15-'16).  Gus keeps AU truly competitive on game day, the way he competes in recruiting, and I've got nothing but love for him.

1 hour ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

If I was AD......

I would offer him and assistants a fair raise and extension. 

However, I would negotiate from a position of strength. I still can't get over going 0-6 vs. rivals the last three yrs. and then the fiasco in baton rouge.

I would not match an insane $8.4M offer Arkansas or whoever wants to throw at him. I would go $6M at my top end with possible sweeteners.

Gus has earned a contract extension.

Ok, now to my main point. The only reason people think Gus may leave is to go "home". Auburn is a better job in every other facit. Speaking of his assistants, how many Auburn alumni are on his staff? You think they are wanting to move to Arkansas? This is where the "going home" argument breaks down for me. Gus has been at Auburn for eight years, made it to three Seccg and two Natties with another in reach. Gus would have to hire a completely new staff. Steele ain't going up there. 

Gus is home. I would explain that to him, and then offer him a fair raise/extension.

^^^Bingo!

21 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Win Saturday and I believe this Arky talk will be history. There's no way he leaves before the playoffs and Arkansas would have to make a move by then. 

I don't know that the talk will be history. It will be of the benefit of several fan bases to keep it alive in hopes of distracting us, but you can bet it's heating up because Arkansas wants us to fail on Saturday. They want Gus to blow it because they know it's the only chance they have to snag him.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

False analogy

And, if no raise is offered, we are very likely going to need a new coach, will have to weather staff turnover and a recruiting storm, and possible similar on the field production as Gus’s floor next year. 

Might as well, just offer Gus the extension and keep the program afloat.

You're inability to refute my analogy doesn't make it "false".

You say we're likely going to need a new coach plus other possible blah blah blahs if we don't give him more today   I say that's all nonsense.  Again, difference of opinion.

1 hour ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Gus is home. I would explain that to him, and then offer him a fair raise/extension.

I think Gus knows that. I also would bet some serious money that Gus hasn't said a word to anyone about raises, extensions or anything else along those lines.  In fact, I would bet that Gus hasn't spoken to Leath in a few weeks. Gus is busy trying to win an SEC Championship. That's a full time job.

All of that being said, Gus has a contract with Sexton, and Sexton gets paid by getting his clients raises, so Sexton is doing his thing, possibly without any real discussions about it with Gus. It's not like Gus would say no to a longer contract and more money, and it's not like anyone gets hurt if Auburn says no to anything Sexton is bringing to the table.

The reality of all of this probably is that Arkansas is talking to Sexton, Sexton is talking to Auburn, and the sports writers are looking for a story. Gus is probably coaching football and ignoring the rest until the season is over.

Just now, AURealist said:

You're inability to refute my analogy doesn't make it "false".

The ability is there, the inclination to teach you why it’s false isn’t.

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

You say we're likely going to need a new coach plus other possible blah blah blahs if we don't give him more today  

We can wait until after the SECCGgame, I don’t care. I dont see the difference in giving one now or later, but whatever.

All, I’m saying is Gus wants an extension, and if we want Gus next year, we better give him one or else watch him pack. Because Gus has leverage and we don’t.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I think Gus knows that. I also would bet some serious money that Gus hasn't said a word to anyone about raises, extensions or anything else along those lines.  In fact, I would bet that Gus hasn't spoken to Leath in a few weeks. Gus is busy trying to win an SEC Championship. That's a full time job.

All of that being said, Gus has a contract with Sexton, and Sexton gets paid by getting his clients raises, so Sexton is doing his thing, possibly without any real discussions about it with Gus. It's not like Gus would say no to a longer contract and more money, and it's not like anyone gets hurt if Auburn says no to anything Sexton is bringing to the table.

The reality of all of this probably is that Arkansas is talking to Sexton, Sexton is talking to Auburn, and the sports writers are looking for a story. Gus is probably coaching football and ignoring the rest until the season is over.

Yep.  I wholeheartedly agree with this take on the subject..  

Archived