Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

Just now, aujeff11 said:

The ability is there, the inclination to teach you why it’s false isn’t.

We can wait until after the SECCGgame, I don’t care. I dont see the difference in giving one now or later, but whatever.

All, I’m saying is Gus wants an extension, and if we want Gus next year, we better give him one or else watch him pack. Because Gus has leverage and we don’t.

I don't believe you.

My whole point is to indeed wait until after the UGA game to start considering the raise/extension negotiations in earnest and his performance in that game and games after will determine in large part where those negotiations go. And believe me, if he beats UGA and shows well in games beyond that, I'm all for giving him whatever will keep him.

I'm glad you've come around.

I think Gus' agent wants to work an extension deal to offer to Gus, but we don't actually know what Gus thinks.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Mikey said:

His options aren't limited to Arkansas. What he deserves to get from Auburn is what the market is currently paying. That includes a raise and contract extension. Why do you want to pay less than the going rate?

What he deserves is what he signed for. That' the same problem with the entitled mentality with some of these recruits. Evidently commitment doesn't mean anything regardless of word or written contract. Call me old fashion but winning a couple games doesn't justify deserving more.  And just because UF paid way too much for Mullen doesn' raise the bar. It just means they are as stupid as some of the buy outs AU has set up in the past. 

5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

My whole point is to indeed wait until after the UGA game to start considering the raise/extension negotiations in earnest and his performance in that game and games after will determine in large part where those negotiations go.

And my whole point is that he has already shown enough to warrant an extension. We can agree to disagree on that one. Getting one more W on his resume doesn’t change a lot for me. Similarly, getting one more L on his resume doesn’t mean he is hot garbage and needs to just accept his current salary or get the f*** out. 

5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I'm glad you've come around.

My position has never changed. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

And my whole point is that he has already shown enough to warrant an extension. We can agree to disagree on that one.

My position has never changed.

Yep. I agree to disagree.   :cool:

1 minute ago, AU04ever said:

What he deserves is what he signed for.

While I totally agree with you on principle, unfortunately, that's not how coaching works anymore. The moment agents got involved it was all about "pay me more or I go somewhere that will." That's really how the job market is moving in it's entirety. Did you know that the average length of time spent in a job is now 1.4 years? That's because people have figured out that they can build their income by constantly finding someone who will pay them more or make their current company pay them more to keep them. Coaching is no different. With the amount of money that they make, and the raises that are being thrown around, buy-outs are no issue and they can go where the money is. And with agents involved and schools quick to fire if you aren't at the top of your game, if a coach does good, you basically have to be ready to open the checkbook unless you are ready to call their bluff and have to start over.

2 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

I just heard an oddsmaker predict that Gus goes to Arkansas after the game regardless.

So it may not even matter.

Oddsmakers say things in order to get people to bet. Reality is irrelevant to them.

The AD for Tennessee just got fired. That is what happens when you fire a coach and/or let go of a coach without a sure plan. We would be fools to let CGM go at this moment. Got to give @Mikey and @AU64 props. They called this dilemma way before when.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Oddsmakers say things in order to get people to bet. Reality is irrelevant to them.

Yes!  Imagine the slobbering degenerates who jumped on THAT action?!  The bookies just made more $$ than Gus will make!

Pay the man!  Quit the if, ands, and buts.  Also the premise that Gus would win the SEC Championship game with a playoff birth and leave the next day for Arkansas is the dumbest “prediction” I’ve ever seen.  No coach would do that.  The whole goal is to win championships and to skip that to go recruit for a bad team is ludicrous.  I don’t even think Arkansas would want that.  Get Gus locked down and this distraction gone!

2 hours ago, slipadeedoodah said:

I just heard an oddsmaker predict that Gus goes to Arkansas after the game regardless.

So it may not even matter.

So he will leave if he wins tomorrow? Hahahaha seriously? Sorry team- good luck in the playoffs. Hahaha 

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I think Gus knows that. I also would bet some serious money that Gus hasn't said a word to anyone about raises, extensions or anything else along those lines.  In fact, I would bet that Gus hasn't spoken to Leath in a few weeks. Gus is busy trying to win an SEC Championship. That's a full time job.

All of that being said, Gus has a contract with Sexton, and Sexton gets paid by getting his clients raises, so Sexton is doing his thing, possibly without any real discussions about it with Gus. It's not like Gus would say no to a longer contract and more money, and it's not like anyone gets hurt if Auburn says no to anything Sexton is bringing to the table.

The reality of all of this probably is that Arkansas is talking to Sexton, Sexton is talking to Auburn, and the sports writers are looking for a story. Gus is probably coaching football and ignoring the rest until the season is over.

One might hope.

59 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

norvell.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

JMO but Arky would be foolish to force his hand like that if they really want him...

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but Arky would be foolish to force his hand like that if they really want him...

Exactly. Timeline ultimatum? Basically destroys this whole story. 

Arkansas to get Bret Bielema was a big deal. They will be tough to fend off they seem determined. We have to keep ole Gus even though in no time we will be wanting him fired again, ha

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

The Piggies would be desperate to try this.  I guess they're taking the chance that AU loses tomorrow and Gus has a weak moment of temporary brain death.

Five or six  weeks ago many folks wanted to fire Gus on his way home from church the Sunday after the LSU game.....and would gone to his house to help him pack. 

Now we discuss how many millions it will take to keep him.....SEC football is insane.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Five or six  weeks ago many folks wanted to fire Gus on his way home from church the Sunday after the LSU game.....and would gone to his house to help him pack. 

Now we discuss how many millions it will take to keep him.....SEC football is insane.

The kicker is... They weren't wrong then and they're not wrong now.

Those 2 wins against UGA and Bama sure were worth a lot of $$$.  Probably to the tune of at least 1.5mil/yr more in base salary and another 3 years added.  If he had lost both of those games, I wonder if Arky still would have come knocking. When I step back, there has been a huge turn in Gus' image because of 2 games. I am all in favor of keeping Gus and I have never been off his bus, although after LSU I was very close. However, I am not for AU giving him a blank check. 6.5mil/yr would be ample. At some point the question has to be asked, at the currently salary are we not already expecting you to win again our rivals? Are we not already expecting you to get us to the SEC title game every 4ish years? Why are we paying more for accomplishing what we are already paying you to do? 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

The kicker is... They weren't wrong then and they're not wrong now.

Yep. You do your job, you get the big bucks. At least that is how it should work. Gus wins tomorrow, he essentially can name his price. 

Archived