Stidham passing charts

thaitopher

Sometimes I think access to so much data and analysis leads us all to overthink and equate ourselves to SEC level coaches. I just know that whatever Jarret is doing is working really well and is a much higher level of performance than we’ve had in a long time. 

I have two thoughts to say about this topic.

1. In golf, aiming your approach shot at the pin is often a big mistake because it's often near an edge where bad things can happen. So unless you are dang sure you can pull it off, your best bet is to aim at the middle of the green.  In football, maybe because the most jerseys of the opposite color are in the middle of the field, throwing the football there inherently increases the odds of bad things happening, so your best bet is to throw to the sides.  Now, if they absolutely void the middle, then that's different, but generally that's not the case.

2. Here is an article discussing the passing distribution of a couple of pretty good QB's.  Notice the completion % mid-range is about the same as Stidham. Notice Stidham actually has a higher % downfield than these two guys. Notice that they don't have nears as many attempts, completions or TD's over the middle as they do on the sides.  

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/pass-atlas-tom-brady-vs-peyton-manning/

If we passed more over the middle, would we average 50 plus instead of 40 plus vs SEC????

Did anyone else see Jalen Hurts' passing chart? I don't have the link or image, but it's not very impressive. If they can't run it with their RBs, and we contain Ridley and Hurts' running, we could make their offense rather anemic. None of those tasks are easy, but it's definitely possible with this defense in JHS.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:33 AM, lkeel75 said:

Yes they did blitz the LBs in the 2nd half and I have not gone back and watched that half again.  However as I recall, they blitzed a lot from the corners, safeties and OLB.  I don't think we got that much pressure up the middle.  But again, I may be completely wrong.

Yep, it makes you wonder why we didn't throw RB screens or have any short middle passes. That RB throw against Georgia was a thing of beauty. Also the screen pass to Davis. Both plays took advantage of their aggressiveness and blitzing, yet nothing against LSU when we needed to. Hoping we see Gus vs Georgia gameplanning and adjustments from here on out

Best way for the passing game to improve next year is just for us to TRY to pass over the middle.  I REALLY hope we break tendencies with Alabama's new-look linebackers. Hit them with some window dressing and give me some sure handed McClain/Jalen Harris curls and swifty Ryan Davis/Will Hastings crossings 

I know there are some saying Alabama's LBs are no longer inexperienced... and in a sense they are right. Game experience is valuable. But they also don't have any experience versus opponents that can run an offense like ours. They've played against some very vanilla offenses.

I'd rather play a healthy Bama team and win - no excuses for them - but like @lionheartkc said, that hasn't bothered them the last couple of years and in a few years nobody will care about anything but the outcome. They'll find something to complain about regardless.

On 11/17/2017 at 5:29 AM, caleb1633 said:

Did anyone else see Jalen Hurts' passing chart? I don't have the link or image, but it's not very impressive. If they can't run it with their RBs, and we contain Ridley and Hurts' running, we could make their offense rather anemic. None of those tasks are easy, but it's definitely possible with this defense in JHS.

http://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/931339528589131776/photo/1

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wow, if I'm reading this correctly, according to this chart, in the 10-19 yard range over the middle, Hurts is averaging 126.9 yards per completion.

Most impressive, I guess their WRs are doing a "Bo out the stadium" for yards after catch.

Bird, if I recall correctly, you are a coach. I posted a link earlier in this thread to Brady and Manning's charts. I would love your take on that vs Stidham.  Personally, I think the notion that the passes should be equally spread out among the 9 boxes is not wise. I used a golf analogy earlier, but in baseball, they say "hit it where they ain't". 

1 hour ago, ClarkGriswold said:

Wow, if I'm reading this correctly, according to this chart, in the 10-19 yard range over the middle, Hurts is averaging 126.9 yards per completion.

Most impressive, I guess their WRs are doing a "Bo out the stadium" for yards after catch.

Bird, if I recall correctly, you are a coach. I posted a link earlier in this thread to Brady and Manning's charts. I would love your take on that vs Stidham.  Personally, I think the notion that the passes should be equally spread out among the 9 boxes is not wise. I used a golf analogy earlier, but in baseball, they say "hit it where they ain't". 

OCs try to find the weakness in a defense to attack while DCs try to overlap in order to minimize weaknesses and create a numbers advantage.  That's why you'll see a lot of deep passes to the corners and on the sideline. Those are typically one on one matchups. Throws to the deep middle usually have 2 safeties overlapping allowing one to take the man and anither the ball. Same with middle zone passes. You'll have safeties over the top with backers under the routes.  Throws across the middle are tough because you have to account for multiple defenders.  

This is why, too me, we need to rush front 4 only and blitz from Nickel or DB. If we blitz with backers like we did against UGA, they will torch us across the shallow middle.

Archived