Arkansas wants Gus

aubiefifty

Sources: Arkansas Facing Pressure From Board to Make Gus Malzahn Next Head Coach

Bruce Feldman

Sports IllustratedNov 16, 2017, 11:43 PM

Earlier this week Arkansas canned athletic director Jeff Long, and multiple sources tell SI that in the wake of a dismal season for fifth-year coach Bret Bielema things have really gotten messy with Razorbacks' brass. Big-money boosters at Arkansas and members of the university's board of trustees have been pushing for the Razorbacks to go after Auburn coach Gus Malzahn to be their next head coach. Malzahn, an Arkansas native, high school coach and former Razorbacks assistant under Houston Nutt, has rallied the Tigers back into playoff contention this season and is coming off a big win over No. 1 Georgia in Week 11.

Long’s fate was sealed at last week’s Board of Trustees meeting, which Long flew in for but was not allowed to take part in, according to sources.

SI has learned, Long got caught up in a power play between some of the Razorbacks’ strongest backers. He hired Bielema after a very successful turn at Wisconsin, but the former Badgers boss is just 29–32 in five seasons and 11–27 in SEC play. The Hogs are 4–6 this fall and 1–5 in the SEC.

• Week 12 Picks: Will the Top Teams Avoid Any Unpleasant Surprises?

Malzahn’s buyout from Auburn would be close to $7 million. He is 43–20 in his five seasons helming the Tigers, including an 8–2 mark this season that features a 6–1 record in the SEC. In 2013, he led Auburn to the BCS national title game, where it lost to Florida State in the final seconds. Malzahn’s own seat at Auburn has been pretty warm on a few instances, but now his team has a shot at the SEC title and maybe the College Football Playoff.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well. not a lateral move but a step down. If he takes the job it would be for personal reasons. We've had too much turnover of late. Here's hoping he stays

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Sources: Arkansas Facing Pressure From Board to Make Gus Malzahn Next Head Coach

Bruce Feldman

Sports IllustratedNov 16, 2017, 11:43 PM

Earlier this week Arkansas canned athletic director Jeff Long, and multiple sources tell SI that in the wake of a dismal season for fifth-year coach Bret Bielema things have really gotten messy with Razorbacks' brass. Big-money boosters at Arkansas and members of the university's board of trustees have been pushing for the Razorbacks to go after Auburn coach Gus Malzahn to be their next head coach. Malzahn, an Arkansas native, high school coach and former Razorbacks assistant under Houston Nutt, has rallied the Tigers back into playoff contention this season and is coming off a big win over No. 1 Georgia in Week 11.

Long’s fate was sealed at last week’s Board of Trustees meeting, which Long flew in for but was not allowed to take part in, according to sources.

SI has learned, Long got caught up in a power play between some of the Razorbacks’ strongest backers. He hired Bielema after a very successful turn at Wisconsin, but the former Badgers boss is just 29–32 in five seasons and 11–27 in SEC play. The Hogs are 4–6 this fall and 1–5 in the SEC.

• Week 12 Picks: Will the Top Teams Avoid Any Unpleasant Surprises?

Malzahn’s buyout from Auburn would be close to $7 million. He is 43–20 in his five seasons helming the Tigers, including an 8–2 mark this season that features a 6–1 record in the SEC. In 2013, he led Auburn to the BCS national title game, where it lost to Florida State in the final seconds. Malzahn’s own seat at Auburn has been pretty warm on a few instances, but now his team has a shot at the SEC title and maybe the College Football Playoff.

He is not going.  

It sounds like maybe the BOT at Arky may want that but from what I read on some of the Arky boards, they do not care for Gus as much. If he truly wants to leave, I don't want him here coaching a team that he isn't really behind but I think he finally found the grove here and don't want to push him out. Hoping he stays as well. WDE!

ol booger macfarland claims he wants to go bad from what he is hearing but i do not believe ol boog likes auburn very much.

and some say this a RED ELEPHANT CLUB thing to create chaos before the iron bowl.  and of course sexton and company might be behind it. i am sure it will concern our recruits so i hope if it is not true our coaches are burning up the phone lines making sure recruits know it is not true.

If they want to buy him out let em have him.  Gives us freedom to get someone who can win the big games more than once every 5 years.  I think Gus might be getting better but 1 game is not enough to constitute a commitment to a coach who has proven nothing.  Now retaining Steel and Lindsey would be high priority for me personally but outside of that its no skin off my teeth.  Even now Gus' biggest contribution is being a motivator and IMO those are a dime a dozen.

4 minutes ago, AUTiger2012 said:

If they want to buy him out let em have him.  Gives us freedom to get someone who can win the big games more than once every 5 years.  I think Gus might be getting better but 1 game is not enough to constitute a commitment to a coach who has proven nothing.  Now retaining Steel and Lindsey would be high priority for me personally but outside of that its no skin off my teeth.  Even now Gus' biggest contribution is being a motivator and IMO those are a dime a dozen.

I have to agree.  Yes I loved the big win over UGA and I have watched it several times over the last week.  However as great as that was and as much as it was needed he still has a long way to go.  This is the same coach that beat UGA & bama in 13 then had a melt down with stupid play calling and lost the Championship to FSU much like the drop to LSU this year.  It takes more than one game to define a coach and right now there are way more drops defining him than wins.  As great as this last game was he has to prove he can do it over and over to gain my backing.  I'm not saying he has to win every game but at least be in them.  I still wish him well wishes don't get me wrong and I support the team no  matter what but still undecided if he is the person to lead us into the future. 

arkansas is a rough gig. He's start completely over. Best case is Gus wins the SEC and gets a raise and extension. I really don't want to go through a coaching change. Gus seems to have turned a corner since LSU.

Oh LOLOLOL!

This article is rich!  Just 2 weeks ago some of us were ready, willing, and able to foot the bill for the UHAUL and load the son of a gun sending him on West.  Almost begging Arky to take him away.

Now after ONE solitary dominating performance against one of our biggest rivals in the last 3 1/2 years, folks are posting threads about a freaking contract extension when his current contract goes thru 2020.....and now will worry about the possibility of the Hogs courting him.

This is first class bi-polar disorder.

28 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

It sounds like maybe the BOT at Arky may want that but from what I read on some of the Arky boards, they do not care for Gus as much. If he truly wants to leave, I don't want him here coaching a team that he isn't really behind but I think he finally found the grove here and don't want to push him out. Hoping he stays as well. WDE!

My buddy is a huge Hog fan(he also knows more about NCAA sports as a whole than anyone I’ve ever met), and he said he’d take Gus; but he wants Norvell from Memphis more. 

JIMMY SEXTON  at his finest!

Sexton has had to kick in gear way early this year.  UF & UT canned their HC's, AU forcing Jay Jacobs out, Arky firing Jeff Long.  Turmoil and uncertainty galore for the best pimp in the business.

36 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ol booger macfarland claims he wants to go bad from what he is hearing but i do not believe ol boog likes auburn very much.

Booger must not be much of a players guy. What kind of POS spouts off publicly to the country that a coach wants to go to another job badly, when he knows damn well, said coach's players are going to see that. Might as well say, "Gus doesn't give a sh*t about yall and would rather take a step down and rebuild than coach you". Booger McFarland can kiss my arse and Auburn needs to quit letting these b list sports reporters walk all over them. Its happened for too long. 

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

My buddy is a huge Hog fan(he also knows more about NCAA sports as a whole than anyone I’ve ever met), and he said he’d take Gus; but he wants Norvell from Memphis more. 

Probably could get the Memphis guy for a lot less salary.  May not even have to pay a big buyout.  No need to discuss this any more until after the Iron Bowl.

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Booger must not be much of a players guy. What kind of POS spouts off publicly to the country that a coach wants to go to another job badly, when he knows damn well, said coach's players are going to see that. Might as well say, "Gus doesn't give a sh*t about yall and would rather take a step down and rebuild than coach you". Booger McFarland can kiss my arse and Auburn needs to quit letting these b list sports reporters walk all over them. Its happened for too long. 

I'd love to know how Auburn could prevent sports reporters from reporting what they want?

30 minutes ago, AUTiger2012 said:

Newsflash!!! Most of the time when a coach leaves you don't get to pick and choose which coaches stay and which ones go. With all of the job opening in the SEC this year I can almost guarantee you that we will not find a better coach than Gus so you better hope he stay's. If he leaves it will set us back three years. A new Off. and Def. will come in and we will lose some recruits. this is not a good year to be making changes.

21 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

arkansas is a rough gig. He's start completely over. Best case is Gus wins the SEC and gets a raise and extension. I really don't want to go through a coaching change. Gus seems to have turned a corner since LSU.

Totally agree.

Gus & staff haven't looked so objectively appealing in an Auburn way since 2013 and the timing of this conversation - right after beating #1 and 8 days before playing #1 again to get into our conf title game - is bizarre. Even if Malzahn loses to La - Monroe & gets punked by Bama & our bowl opponent there would still be a dozen Arky-situation programs interested in him. If he beats or even barely loses to #1 Bama, Arky is not going to outbid/out-attract Auburn for our current coach. Of course they want him after their parade of head coaching trainwrecks.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'd love to know how Auburn could prevent sports reporters from reporting what they want?

Well when a reporter like Danny Sheridan spout off news that isn't credible, they could publicly shut it down. That's a start. And do it in such a way that makes the reporter look novice and foolish. Example would be, "Gus Malzahn is coaching a team that has a legit shot at going to the college football playoff and only a fool would believe that he "badly" wants to go coach a team that is one of the worst in the country, because he grew up in that state".

Gus can pick is own gig if AU wins out and plays in the championship game. This has truly been a love hate relationship for me. But now is not the time to lose our focus. If we even have a chance of winning out, it will take single minded focus from the coaches. I don't think publicly acknowledging this affects the HC coaches though, they already know the facts. But if may impact the supporting coaches who are worried about job security. 

55 minutes ago, keesler said:

Now after ONE solitary dominating performance against one of our biggest rivals in the last 3 1/2 years, folks are posting threads about a freaking contract extension when his current contract goes thru 2020.....and now will worry about the possibility of the Hogs courting him.

This is first class bi-polar disorder.

Hey now...  Some of us stayed the course throughout this season... :bananadance:

This report really doesn't surprise me. It's home for him and he and his wife both have family there. I would guess 90% of us would jump at the opportunity to move home for work and make the same if not more money. 

I honestly don't think he goes unless we are hammered by bama and the heat turns up. There is a reason all of our former coaches live in the Auburn area even though they didn't have ties here before they came to the Plains. 

Archived