What is the key to an IB win?

tigeraddikt

I believe it comes down to Kevin Steele vs. Jalen Hurts. Hurts has never been rattled in 2 years as a starter. He's utterly unflappable. Miss St. controlled the Bama game with heart, effort, and execution, and still got outdone at the end of the 4th qtr bc of Hurts. Had Bama had a couple extra mins in last season's championship game, Hurts would have done what Watson did, and Bama would have hoisted the trophy instead.

I believe KS is gonna have to mainly plan for how to contain and confuse Hurts. Auburn is gonna flush Hurts throughout the game; it's what happens after the flush that will be key to a victory. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelly Bryant is the closest QB we have faced to Jalen Hurts. UAT thrives on the QB scramble and will certainly try to do that on Sat. I thought our D did a good job at containing Bryant but our O couldn't give them a break.

5 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Kelly Bryant is the closest QB we have faced to Jalen Hurts. UAT thrives on the QB scramble and will certainly try to do that on Sat. I thought our D did a good job at containing Bryant but our O couldn't give them a break.

This. Our offense is miles better than then. We just need to produce touchdowns and not field goals. This game being at home helps tremendously.

Can AU get pressure on Hurts but contain him at the same time. My biggest fear is him evading pass rushers and our DB's losing track of Ridley. 
Can the AU receivers get some separation from what promises to be tight coverage from the Bama DB's? It's been a problem all season and this will probably be the best DB's AU has seen.
Do we get good Gus or bad Gus? Always a concern.

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Run the ball, possess the ball, convert on 3rd down.  That’s the key to the game.  3rd down conversions. 

Agree, but would add that we need to make plays we're supposed to make. Example, if you have a potential interception hit your hands you need to catch it. Almost will not get it done Saturday. I love our chances. 

6 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Punch them in the mouth. Again and again and again and again.  

Are we still talking about the football team? Or just more generally?

Ridley is this iron bowls amari cooper. Those passes were killing Miss ST. I hope our secondary has a better game than even the Georgia game because there were a few passes that could have gone for TDs. 

1 hour ago, djg0017 said:

IMO follow the same gameplan as the UGA game w/ a spy on Hurts during passing downs

Yep....can't leave the middle of the field wide open for him to run through.... 

We are a big play offense and will need to make our shots downfield count. The vertical game has always been a gap in bama's armor. Defensively, we have to contain them at the line and hope our defensive backs can disrupt their receivers. They're going to do what they always do...pound away, take shots off play-action and let their superior depth take over. 

If we can't play four quarters of focused, intense ball...it's going to be tough to come away with a win in this one. 

Jalen Hurts has not show an ability to consistently pick apart defenses with his downfield passing ability (then again, he hasn't had to). I like our chances if we keep him in the pocket, i.e. limit or delay the pass rush to keep him from scrambling when plays break down. Also, on the offensive side of the ball, I'm looking forward to fake screens and Eli Stove crossing action misdirection (decoy). Woot I'm excited!

Honestly, I think it comes down to how healthy we are after this past game.  Fully healthy, it could very well be like Georgia.  The scariest injures for me are Tre Williams and Jeremiah Dinson.

Scoring more points than they do when the clock is at 0:00. But honestly the biggest thing is to prevent Hurts legs and deep ball to Ridley beat us. Also our offense has to execute and have a nice mix of playcalling like Georgia, add a few wrinkles to plays we run over and over. Also keep Stidham upright the whole game. We got this let’s go win the west!! 

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Run the ball, possess the ball, convert on 3rd down.  That’s the key to the game.  3rd down conversions. 

Exactly because we can't win the field position battle in the punting game based on what we've seen so far this year. 

Defense- win up front. If we can keep contain/pressure on hurts and defend the run without extra defenders, it's ours to lose. Ridley is gonna eat us up. It's what he does. But if we're clicking- Ridley won't be enough.

Offense- win up front. Everything is on the table for this offense, if we win up front- everything will be working.

My fears: Pocket collapse for JS for a Clempson-looking output, also- allowing Jaylan Hurts to screen out of our blitzes. This one is winnable. War Eagle.

I want to see how Carlton Davis, our best and most ready NFL DB, matches up with Ridley. Secondly, the defense should be foaming at the mouth, wanting to start the game on the field first. They have given up open TD's the last two games. Let's not be reactive this time around. Defer and set the tone. Last, it is going to depend on the line play. Can Holland and co stay discipline with tackling? Can our offensive line, the unsung heroes of this team, make some holes for KJ? Mississippis state line did so for their RBs.

5 hours ago, CR said:

Can AU get pressure on Hurts but contain him at the same time. My biggest fear is him evading pass rushers and our DB's losing track of Ridley. 
Can the AU receivers get some separation from what promises to be tight coverage from the Bama DB's? It's been a problem all season and this will probably be the best DB's AU has seen.
Do we get good Gus or bad Gus? Always a concern.

This. Exactly this.

Archived