2018 NR P Arryn Siposs Commits to AU!!!

jared52

15 hours ago, AubTigers said:

FWIW this is not official on AU's end yet. Still some things to be worked out.

10 hours ago, psyfro said:

Just curious but how could a Pro player in Aussie football be eligible for NCAA football? I know Pro Baseball players are eligible but is this allowed? Could a CFL player who never went to college be eligible for NCAA football?

Because Aussie "football" isn't football, it's soccer.

Australian punter’s offer puts him on fast track to Auburn

Arryn Siposs’ recruitment won’t be like many others, and that’s because Arryn Siposs isn’t like other recruits.

Siposs is a 24-year-old punter who trains with Prokick Australia, a program that specializes is matching Australian kickers and punters with college scholarships in the United State. So far, Prokick Australia has sent more than 50 kickers to the United States to maximize kicking and punting scholarships at the Division I level.

Siposs is next in line.

Prokick Australia tweeted out Tuesday that Siposs had received a punting scholarship from Auburn. SEC Country chatted with Siposs briefly on Wednesday afternoon (at least it was afternoon in the Central Time Zone).

GettyImages-162996354_lyt5nb.jpg
Arryn Siposs, formerly an Australian Rules Footballer, received an Auburn punting scholarship this week. (Michael Dodge/Getty Images)

What we found out is just how different the recruitment is for an Australian punter. He won’t be taking multiple visits. Siposs won’t hang around for 20 scholarship offers. No, the Prokick Australia program emphasizes finding the one scholarship that fits the prospect’s athletic and academic needs and running with it.

That’s what Siposs plans to do.

“Prokick speaks to schools they think are the best fit for each individual. Their focus was Auburn, and I’ve been lucky enough to have them interested in me and offer me a scholarship,” Siposs said. “I found out about the offer from my coaches here in Australia who runs Prokick Australia. After I found out through him, I had a couple of the coaches from Auburn speak to me and were very excited.”

Siposs hasn’t ever seen Auburn before, aside from a few pamphlets and photos.

Several members of Prokick Australia visited Auburn and other programs in July, including Nathan Chapman, the coach who helped orchestrate Siposs’ scholarship with the Tigers. Siposs wasn’t in that group, but he heard the reactions from a few people who all had rave reviews of the SEC campus.

Siposs is eager to see it for himself. He’ll visit soon before enrolling in August 2018.

“I’ll be over in a couple of weeks to see the college,” Siposs said. “From what I have seen and heard, it’s an amazing place. I can’t wait to see it.”

Siposs’ introduction to American football, at least as a player himself, has been relatively recent. He’s always been fascinated by American sports — not just football — so the sports are familiar. But he didn’t pick up the punting part of the game until recently when another athletic career wrapped up.

When he was 17 years old, Siposs was drafted 75th by the St. Kilda Saints overall in the Australian Football League, the premier Australian Rules Football league. Siposs had a 5-year career in that, but has now turned his attention to American football.

“I played Australian Rules Football since I was 5 and was lucky enough to have a good kick on me. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite last as long as I hoped for, so I thought I’d speak to Prokick about giving punting a go,” Siposs said. “I first heard of punting when I got a letter about giving it a go before I got drafted [to the AFL]. At 17, my goal was to play AFL, but I always had punting in the back of my mind. I enjoy watching American sports, so I’ve always followed it.”

At this point, don’t consider Siposs a commitment, but it’s likely to happen at some point, perhaps after his initial visit to campus. Auburn only has eight or nine spots to fill in the Class of 2018, so scholarships are at a premium right now for the Tigers. With that said, Siposs appears set on enrolling at Auburn in August 2018, and that’s what I expect to happen.

The punter of the future isn’t your average punter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

Actually it's rugby not soccer

Thanks for the correction. In any case, it's not football. Different sports, that's why a pro player in Aussie "football" can still be eligible under NCAA rules. That's just like a pro baseball player. He couldn't play on some school's NCAA rugby team, of course.

• Like 1

With just a little time in the weight room and a lot less running, this guy will/can put on 10+ lbs of muscle easy.

And yes, fake punts will be a thing teams will have to play for!  Those guys athletes!  Give this guy some pads and I bet he is a beast to get 3 yards as a punter.

• Like 1

Australian rules football is not rugby either. However it is somewhere in between rugby and American football. Looks to me like he doesn’t necessarily punt “rugby style” either. So if he does end up at Auburn, he may look like a traditional punter...of course except for the fact that he’s pretty built

• Like 1

Yeah. If you look at his photo he definitly doesn't look like the kids that kick here who either are tall and skinny, or so small their helmet looks like a bobble head or look like barrels.  

This guys looks like he could kick, run strong, even catch a pass. 

Lol

I lived in Australia for 5 years , and went to many a Aussie Rules Football games.

Man is it exciting, final scores of 100 or so for each team, guys can kick the ball 60 meters and put it through the uprights

like a field goal. If it goes above the crossbar, is worth 5 points, underneath is 2, as I recall.

but if this guy played, he can absolutely kick the crap out of it.

we better get some faster guys to cover it.

Does anyone know which city he is from? I lived in Brisbane and they won 2 championships while I was there.

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nah man, it's Arrrrrrrrryn, pirate style. Or at least it's gonna be. Let's make it a thing.

I’m down 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Nah man, it's Arrrrrrrrryn, pirate style. Or at least it's gonna be. Let's make it a thing.

I think he tweeted that his favorite restaraunt is "Arrrr- bys".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So what’s his stauts? Last I heard Auburn had not offically accepted his commitment. Is he a take? Are there compliance issues to be worked through. 

This is a position of need and from what I’ve seen and heard I really want this guy. Just looking for something more definate.

Edited by JoeinPF

38 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

So what’s his stauts? Last I heard Auburn had not offically accepted his commitment. Is he a take? Are there compliance issues to be worked through. 

This is a position of need and from what I’ve seen and heard I really want this guy. Just looking for something more definate.

International recruits have a lot of paperwork to be filled out. All signs point to AU but Auburn is waiting to officially accept when the paperwork is finished. 

1 hour ago, JoeinPF said:

1 TBD.2. TBD 3. There's always stuff to sort through with a foreign recruit.

1 hour ago, JoeinPF said:

Just looking for something more definate.

You have to wait til he visits AU in December. That's the earliest things are expected to be clearer.

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Would fit well with “shiver me timbers” aka Shivers

would make for a great fake punt combo lol

• Like 1