2020 SDE Andy Boykin (Arkansas)

ellitor

• 1 month later...

Auburn DL commit Andy Boykin expects ‘fight to the finish’ with UGA for his choice

It appears there is also a recruiting race in need of an update regarding 4-star DE Andy Boykin in the Class of 2020. The Troup High (LaGrange, Ga.) junior is currently committed to Auburn.

He is coming off what he said was his “best UGA visit so far.”  That should draw some consideration given the Bulldogs were already a strong No. 2 for Boykin. He did enjoy himself at G-Day earlier this year, too.

Let’s go back to how he reacted when he got that offer from UGA. That came in June of 2017. The Bulldogs were his fifth offer, but it was one that elevated his stock from similar opportunities with Kentucky and Syracuse.

The several unique ways Georgia has kept recruiting him after he chose Auburn has stood out. It is one of those instances where the UGA coaching staff will not just let him take his talents to the SEC West without a fight.

Well, that’s exactly what the nation’s No. 9 strongside defensive end prospect on the 247Sports composite rankings feels is going to happen with his recruiting now.

How close are these two schools right now?

“Its very close,” Boykin said. “It will be a fight to the finish.”

Did the Bulldogs make a move with Andy Boykin? 

That visit back on June 14 went that well. He worked out for the Bulldogs and then hung out with the UGA staff. Defensive line coach Tray Scott has put in some good work here.

“He’s a very cool and laid-back person that you can kind of be yourself with,” Andy Boykin said. “You are not afraid to talk to him about things. Our relationship is growing.”

Did that visit tighten things up?

“It certainly did,” Boykin told DawgNation.

If the situation presented itself, Boykin said he wouldn’t be the type to de-commit and then reevaluate things here. He felt he would just likely flip. To be extremely clear here, that should not e seen as a measure that he will make a de-commitment.

That’s only a reflection of what he might likely do if the Bulldogs were able to convince him that he would be better off in Athens as opposed to sticking with the Tigers. That hasn’t happened.

That is what the Bulldogs would like to see happen. They showed Boykin that on his latest visit.

“I felt like the biggest priority and there were a lot of priority recruits there,” Boykin said. “But I felt like the biggest and they rolled out the red carpet for me.”

Why did Andy Boykin choose Auburn in the first place?  

The Tigers offered Andy Boykin about a week after Georgia did. But they rapidly built upon that.

“They are super family oriented and if my family feels comfortable with you I definitely will, too,” he said.

Auburn still has a lead, he says.

“They also let me know how they feel about my options because I’ll only go through this one time,” Boykin said.

The standout also ranks as the nation’s No. 214 overall prospect for 2020.

The other neat little wrinkle for the Andy Bokyin decision 

It feels like the proper timing of this narrative to reintroduce the storyline involving McEachern 4-star DL target Jamil Burroughs.

Burroughs told DawgNation earlier this week that the Bulldogs were a “dream” school for him and his outright leader at this point. He will make his commitment in late August to honor his mother on her birthday. 

Andy Boykin and Burroughs are very close. They will both be at Alabama of all places together this weekend, but they won’t be heading over to Tuscaloosa together.

He knows that recruiting is very stressful. Auburn, Alabama and Georgia of all places are “dream” schools for a lot of young men growing up in the region.

Each one of those can truly launch a young man as far as he wants to go in the game of football.

Boykin and Burroughs sound like they have a plan. They say they do.

“We’ve all got a plan,” Boykin said regarding the top defensive line prospects in the state for 2020. “But just know where ever I go Jamil is coming with me.”

Burroughs agreed with that. Those two usually visit UGA together. Burroughs said he has visited UGA approximately 30 times since he started taking recruiting trips when he was in the eighth grade.

“Andy has been my boy since I don’t know,” Jamil Burroughs said. “It has been more than a minute. We’ve talked about playing together for a long time. … I know when Andy and I went to Georgia Coach (Kirby) Smart started telling us that Andy and I and (UGA class of 2020 DT commit) Nazir Stackhouse could be No. 1 defensive line in the country if we all went to Georgia. We have already had that conversation about all of that.”

Edited by ellitor
Made more reader friendly
  • Sad 1

Just now, WFE12 said:

This ish is getting old and it is not even close to signing day 2020 which means we should not even be worrying about a guy not being solid. Whatever dude. Wish you could be as solid as your teammate.

• Like 1

Hey @WFE12 when you paste something from a site please hit "Paste as plain text instead" at the bottom of the dialogue box after pasting. It will take useless graphics & what not out.

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hey @WFE12 when you paste something from a site please hit "Paste as plain text instead" at the bottom of the dialogue box after pasting. It will take useless graphics & what not out.

Will do.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Now I know ! I haven’t been able to do that! Thanks ? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

He’s also like 16 and he was talking to a Dawg website. 

While true the fact three of his last four visits between Georgia and Auburn have been to Georgia is not a good sign. It’s nowhere near over yet but we have to get him over to our campus more.

• Like 2

Though I realize it's 2 years away, I hope our staff is able to hang on to all our 2020 commitments.

Edited by auburn4ever

On 6/22/2018 at 7:24 AM, ellitor said:

While true the fact three of his last four visits between Georgia and Auburn have been to Georgia is not a good sign. It’s nowhere near over yet but we have to get him over to our campus more.

But this means we’re only one visit away from.....(drum roll)....50/50

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

But this means we’re only one visit away from.....(drum roll)....50/50

2 my friend. lol.

3-1/4= 50% (was referring to the visits that have already occurred). As we can’t undo the past unless we get Doc Brown and his DeLorean you are right.. need two to get even.

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

3-1/4= 50% (was referring to the visits that have already occurred). As we can’t undo the past unless we get Doc Brown and his DeLorean you are right.. need two to get even.

I'm Still confused on the 1st part but cool.

Just now, ellitor said:

I'm Still confused on the 1st part but cool.

4 visits- 3 UGa, 1 AU. Change one of those around and it becomes 2-2. 

0AB3BE8B-A487-4922-8224-D14F3C13A4EE.gif

2 hours ago, fredst said:

4 visits- 3 UGa, 1 AU. Change one of those around and it becomes 2-2. 

True but I don't see what you are getting at. At this point I'm resigned to not supposed to know.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Son of a dog biscuit I need some positive recruiting news

55 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Son of a dog biscuit I need some positive recruiting news

It's only August...

• Like 1

UGA has definitely made things interesting. I don't think this recruitment will be over soon one way or the other. If AB does flip I will not be worried. Coach G has done a great job of finding & developing talent. He will find another stud if needed.

• Like 1

Just know he grew up a big UGA fan and often is wearing their gear.

His coach told me long ago -- and I reported -- UGA was the team to watch.

Whatever happens, his recruitment will probably go the distance -- unless he de-commits and AU finds someone it thinks is better.

From Keith

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 DE Andy Boykin decommits from AU (Updated 8/31/18)
9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well I guess he just decommitted...

Yeesh. No mention of Auburn whatsoever, despite mentioning his current Tigers by name.