FCC Announces Plans To Repeal Net Neutrality

homersapien

Well, here we go.  Another step toward Corporate oligarchy. 

Thanks Trump voters! :no:

Trump’s FCC Chairman thinks Comcast should have even more control over your internet than it already does.

In a major win for the telecom industry, Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai announced plans Tuesday to scrap net neutrality regulations that require internet providers to treat all content equally.

Since being designated FCC chair by President Donald Trump in January, Pai has prioritized gutting the net neutrality provisions enacted by the Obama administration in 2015.

If all goes as Pai plans, the FCC will meet and vote on the repeal on Dec. 14. It’s expected to pass 3-2, along party lines.

The move, long sought by internet providers like AT&T, Comcast and Verizon (which owns Oath, HuffPost’s parent company), would give the already monopolistic companies even more power over how its customers access content online.

Read the rest at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fcc-plans-net-neutrality_us_5a14459ae4b0aa32975df36b?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, alexava said:

Everyone loses. 

But at least we've put an end to abortion, right guys?

30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, only individuals.  The corporations will make out just fine.  

That's the important thing.

I should have specified. The individual conservatives who will back anything this administration does will lose and be glad they lost ( or too stupid to understand or admit they lost)but gleeful to win political points. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I should have specified. The individual conservatives who will back anything this administration does will lose and be glad they lost ( or too stupid to understand or admit they lost)but gleeful to win political points. 

Seems to me it works both ways.

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Example(s)

Surely you jest. Just read the posts. Liberals will hate anything Trump does so I guess they are stupid too......which makes most of us stupid by your definition.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Surely you jest. Just read the posts. Liberals will hate anything Trump does so I guess they are stupid too......which makes most of us stupid by your definition.

Do you fully understand the issue of net neutrality?  And if so, do you support this move and why?

For me, when you dig into it, this is awful news for the average Joe consumer.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Do you fully understand the issue of net neutrality?  And if so, do you support this move and why?

For me, when you dig into it, this is awful news for the average Joe consumer.

I agree with net.neutrality. My comment was to alexinva about conservative being stupid for supporting Trump but not saying it works both ways, i.e., Trump haters not being stupid. It was off topic unfortunately.

8 hours ago, alexava said:

Wait until they finally figure out the personal implications of the Republican tax bill. 

But hey, as long as we...... keep those immigrants out! .......... drain the Swamp! ........bring back coal! ....... MAGA!!! 

8 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Good grief.  

That's embarrassing.

• 3 weeks later...

Some day, in the not too distance future, there will be a great awakening for the 30-something percent of Americans who believe in the Trump myth. 

Or maybe, they represent the fraction of people that "can be fooled all of the time". :dunno:

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, homersapien said:

Some day, in the not too distance future, there will be a great awakening for the 30-something percent of Americans who believe in the Trump myth. 

Or maybe, they represent the fraction of people that "can be fooled all of the time". :dunno:

No, there won't.  Remember that Nixon still had 30% support when he left office.  The die-hards don't change.

29 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No, there won't.  Remember that Nixon still had 30% support when he left office.  The die-hards don't change.

Fools.

They will probably start cursing those liberal ISP companies when their bills start going up.

Although I am against the repeal of it, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. 

I never noticed the change to Net Nuetral in 2015 anyways, hopefully that remains the case.

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

Although I am against the repeal of it, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. 

I never noticed the change to Net Nuetral in 2015 anyways, hopefully that remains the case.

We had to make the change because the ISPs were about to take advantage of the fact they won a lawsuit against the FCC, so the FCC resorted to the only option to prevent this:

original.jpg

and keep the net neutral, Title II. 

Yeah, you can facepalm, but I'm not as confident as you. Cable companies and telecoms are bleeding money from cord cutters. They will use this to extract that lost money. You will end up having to pay to stream services they don't own. From a business standpoint, they would be stupid not to. 

On 11/21/2017 at 10:06 PM, homersapien said:

Wait until they finally figure out the personal implications of the Republican tax bill. 

But hey, as long as we...... keep those immigrants out! .......... drain the Swamp! ........bring back coal! ....... MAGA!!! 

How is the War on Poverty going after 50 plus years.....

21 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Yeah, you can facepalm, but I'm not as confident as you. Cable companies and telecoms are bleeding money from cord cutters. They will use this to extract that lost money. You will end up having to pay to stream services they don't own. From a business standpoint, they would be stupid not to. 

The intentions of cable companies and telecoms were already made abundantly clear by both their actions and litigation prior to Title II classification.  That said, assuming this moves forward and survives litigation, I suspect the first thing that will manifest is a wave of things like Comcast throttling Netflix to extort money from them.  Once subscribers have been leveraged against content providers for maximum profit, then content providers will be leveraged against subscribers.

In reality this has very little to do with Trump or Obama. It's more about the big money buying favor from anyone who will take it. Democrats, Republicans....the duopoly owns the crap we are being forced into. And it didn't just start happening after the last election.

I am against the continued deterioration of liberty and freedom....but I don't see an end to it.

Archived