FCC Announces Plans To Repeal Net Neutrality

homersapien

15 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

We had to make the change because the ISPs were about to take advantage of the fact they won a lawsuit against the FCC, so the FCC resorted to the only option to prevent this:

original.jpg

and keep the net neutral, Title II. 

The most concerning thing about this to me is the idea that the companies can essentially make whatever sites they want cost a lot more than the other sites. Though it is likely to be a situation where sites like youtube and netflix cost the most, this can make it possible for a whole new politically based beast to be born. ie. CNN and MSNBC cost $20 and Fox costs $5. Or vice versa. Should be interesting to follow this over the years and see how the big dogs in Washington find a way to influence it. Either way, it sucks badly for everyone involved, except for the large telecom corporations. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

In reality this has very little to do with Trump or Obama. It's more about the big money buying favor from anyone who will take it. Democrats, Republicans....the duopoly owns the crap we are being forced into. And it didn't just start happening after the last election.

I am against the continued deterioration of liberty and freedom....but I don't see an end to it.

You can't really play the "both sides" card in this case. The dems were the ones trying to protect it, full stop.

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

In reality this has very little to do with Trump or Obama. It's more about the big money buying favor from anyone who will take it. Democrats, Republicans....the duopoly owns the crap we are being forced into. And it didn't just start happening after the last election.

I am against the continued deterioration of liberty and freedom....but I don't see an end to it.

No, Obama sided with the people and maintained net neutrality.  Trump is siding with the corporations and doing away with it.  One could say this has everything to do with Obama and Trump.

Other than that, you are correct in that it is about big money vs the common good.

As far as "seeing and end to it"  there is hope in the form of legislation.  But that obviously is not going to happen until the Democrats regain control of Congress.

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

You can't really play the "both sides" card in this case. The dems were the ones trying to protect it, full stop.

In his defense, I would have called it a truly bipartisan issue until recently, as the FCC under both Bush and Obama tried everything they could to enforce and promote Net Neutrality with as light a regulatory approach as possible.  Unfortunately, the FCC's hand was finally forced during Obama's presidency, and that apparently defined it as something that had to go in order to make America great again.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The most concerning thing about this to me is the idea that the companies can essentially make whatever sites they want cost a lot more than the other sites. Though it is likely to be a situation where sites like youtube and netflix cost the most, this can make it possible for a whole new politically based beast to be born. ie. CNN and MSNBC cost $20 and Fox costs $5. Or vice versa. Should be interesting to follow this over the years and see how the big dogs in Washington find a way to influence it. Either way, it sucks badly for everyone involved, except for the large telecom corporations. 

Not to mention how it has to capacity to completely stifle small businesses and start-ups.  This is terrible for innovation.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not to mention how it has to capacity to completely stifle small businesses and start-ups.  This is terrible for innovation.

Ajit Pai kept using that word.  I do not think it means what he thinks it means.  The only innovation that the FCC paved the way for yesterday are innovative ways for ISP's to profit without improving the service provided.

13 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

In his defense, I would have called it a truly bipartisan issue until recently, as the FCC under both Bush and Obama tried everything they could to enforce and promote Net Neutrality with as light a regulatory approach as possible.  Unfortunately, the FCC's hand was finally forced during Obama's presidency, and that apparently defined it as something that had to go in order to make America great again.

Ignorance makes the masses do some strange things. 

13 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Ajit Pai kept using that word.  I do not think it means what he thinks it means.  The only innovation that the FCC paved the way for yesterday are innovative ways for ISP's to profit without improving the service provided.

I think he is using the word "innovation" in the sense of developing complicated, baseless, financial derivatives to sell to the unwitting for obscene profits.  ;D

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Pardon the naïveté, but what are the chances this gets overturned?

Slim for the immediate future. The Dems will force a CRA vote, but I imagine it will fail. 

It will be held up in court for a while. Several attorneys general have already filed suit. After that, Dems need to take the legislature in the midterms and eventually the presidency.  Luckily, this is wildly unpopular and won't help the Rs chances. After that we need some legislation to lock these rules in place so the nature of the landscape doesn't change every time we change administrations. 

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

No, Obama sided with the people and maintained net neutrality.  Trump is siding with the corporations and doing away with it.  One could say this has everything to do with Obama and Trump.

Other than that, you are correct in that it is about big money vs the common good.

As far as "seeing and end to it"  there is hope in the form of legislation.  But that obviously is not going to happen until the Democrats regain control of Congress.

:-\:flag::dunno:

12 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

I'm not just looking at the last few months.

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I'm not just looking at the last few months.

Well look back as far as the net has existed, then. What has changed, and on which side? 

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

Well look back as far as the net has existed, then. What has changed, and on which side? 

The cesspool in DC created the monster leading the nation right now. It's all interconnected. 

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

The cesspool in DC created the monster leading the nation right now. It's all interconnected. 

*sigh*

two_party_system.png

A government solution  in 2015 to a problem that did not exist... Another useless regulation down the drain....well done.

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

A government solution  in 2015 to a problem that did not exist... Another useless regulation down the drain....well done.

It's surprising how many folks haven't bothered to educate themselves on this. 

Or not. 2017 and all. 

50 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

It's surprising how many folks haven't bothered to educate themselves on this. 

Or not. 2017 and all. 

So I've noticed by all of the scare talk nonsense about the internet world coming to an end if the change is made. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So I've noticed by all of the scare talk nonsense about the internet world coming to an end if the change is made. 

Things will definitely change, and not for the better. It will definitely affect the consumer. Expect higher prices and far fewer choices. The ISPs will start ramping up costs on their competitors. Think Comcast is going to just allow Netflix to work great for their customers when they are trying to get you to sign up for Xfinity on Demand instead? Or Amazon Prime's streaming and movie rental? They are now perfectly allowed to either slow down or charge that competitor extra fee's for the privilege of connecting to Comcast customers, think Amazon, Netflix and others won't pass those extra fees on to us?

We just handed control of the internet to corporations that hold monopolies in many areas of the country. There is no free market principle that will rectify that.

Sometimes regulations exist for a good reason. Sometimes not regulating something results in less freedom, not more. This is one of those times. 

12 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Things will definitely change, and not for the better. It will definitely affect the consumer. Expect higher prices and far fewer choices. The ISPs will start ramping up costs on their competitors. Think Comcast is going to just allow Netflix to work great for their customers when they are trying to get you to sign up for Xfinity on Demand instead? Or Amazon Prime's streaming and movie rental? They are now perfectly allowed to either slow down or charge that competitor extra fee's for the privilege of connecting to Comcast customers, think Amazon, Netflix and others won't pass those extra fees on to us?

We just handed control of the internet to corporations that hold monopolies in many areas of the country. There is no free market principle that will rectify that.

Sometimes regulations exist for a good reason. Sometimes not regulating something results in less freedom, not more. This is one of those times. 

I understand your view but I've witnessed far to many instance where government efforts to regulate a market place to "protect the consumer" has resulted in over-promise and under deliver. ....and you can go back to ATT and black dial telephones as a prime example...where government control stifled innovation and kept costs high...right up to the Affordable Care Act that requires people to buy insurance coverage they don't want or don't need...and now can't afford. . 

This "net neutrality" concept has only been in effect a couple years so nobody can say that it did anything except provide a bunch of high paying federal jobs and I 've heard the scare stories but guess I don't believe them.

Government's control of prices and access will only limit options or innovation....and a truism that's I've witnessed over the years is that you get what you pay for and people don't deliberately sell a product below cost. I'm still in favor of letting the marketplace decide. 

Archived