Quoting Gabe Gross

Aucater

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/gabe_gross_auburns_going_to_ha.html#incart_most-comments 

Anybody see this yet?

Gabe Gross: 'Auburn's going to have more success running the ball than Alabama'

Former Auburn quarterback and Major Leaguer Gabe Gross. (File photo)
Former Auburn quarterback and Major Leaguer Gabe Gross. (File photo)

The question was simple: Will Auburn's Jarrett Stidham or Alabama's Jalen Hurts have to carry more of the offensive load for their teams Saturday during the Iron Bowl?

Former Auburn quarterback Gabe Gross, who joined me and Lee Shirvanian on Tuesday on "The Opening Kickoff" on WNSP-FM 105.5, said it was the Tide's Hurts.

"From Alabama's point of view, I think if Auburn chooses, they might be able to lock Alabama's running game down pretty good," Gross said. "Maybe not to the extent like they did against Georgia. I think Jalen Hurts will have more of the offense on him, kind of like he did against Mississippi State.

"Auburn's going to have more success running the ball than Alabama when you look at the depleted linebacker corps Alabama has."

Despite the injuries, the Crimson Tide is holding opponents to just 87.4 yards a game, which leads the SEC.

Auburn's no joke, either, holding opponents to 118.2 yards a contest, which ranks third in the league.

On Monday, Terrell Lewis (elbow) and Christian Miller (biceps) were not spotted during the media viewing of practice. Alabama coach Nick Saban said earlier in the day they are in the "functional" rehabilitation phase and haven't been medically cleared.

It was reported, citing sources, that Lewis and Miller could be ready for Saturday's game against Auburn.

Gross, the hitting coach for the Auburn baseball team, was complimentary of both Stidham and Hurts.

"Jarrett Stidham has come leaps and bounds, but Chip Lindsay has come leaps and bounds on how to use Jarrett Stidham," Gross explained.

"Over the last month-plus, they have maximized his strengths and stayed away from his weaknesses."

Gross said he feels like Auburn will limit what Alabama, which rushes for 270 yards a game, does on the ground.

"But that's what makes Alabama a little scarier," he said. "I don't think there's a better receiver in the league that Calvin Ridley. He's a special, special player. You take the run-pass abilities of Hurts and big-play ability of Ridley and you have something special."

At the end of the day, Gross likes Auburn to win the game in a close one.

That's cool,  I'll tell you what he said, Auburn  is going to have more success running the ball than Alabama. It was from a discussion on the Opening Kickoff on 105.5.  You don't think that will light a fire under an O lineman?

Not really. Maybe if it were a current player. But this is a lot of nothing. 

3 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. :)

11 minutes ago, WarTim said:

This^^

Former players are no more than the talking heads of espn or Finescum.  Now if AG came out and said we were going to run for 200 against them then it would be a different story.

Yeah I didn't see anything there that made me think BB material - unless they strip out that one comment, lie and say KJ said it, and plaster it all over their facilities. lol

For what it's worth, I do think we'll have more success running the football. At least in a traditional sense. Jalen gives them an edge but we were good about taking that away last year so I'm hoping we can do the same this year. We have a more balanced offense and that's going to shift a lot our way in comparison to the last two years.

I'm with WarTim, it's not a current player so it's probably not that big a deal. 

I saw after the Georgia game, the father of one of bama's linebackers (the linebacker is hurt, Christian something?) talking about the Iron Bowl and he said that "Bama ain't Georgia!".  He was talking a little smack (not much, but it had about the same feel as Gabe's comment) and I didn't give it too much thought...again, it wasn't a current player.  

We fans run our mouths all the time, it's what we do.

Now, if all the talking heads and all the analysts are saying this stuff, then a team might get a chip on its shoulder, but I can't see where a lone comment from some fan or alumni would be that big a deal.  JMO though.

2 hours ago, CountStandya said:

I hate to say this but Gabe Gross talking about Auburn football is like K Fraiser talking about Auburn football. Fill in QB with no ability to throw.....better stick to baseball...the boring sport.

I hate to tell you this but Gabe Gross loves Auburn more than you and me combined , he came in at the end of the tater tot Era when recruiting had come to a standstill. KF didn't have blue and burnt orange running through his veins.  

4 minutes ago, Aucater said:

I hate to tell you this but Gabe Gross loves Auburn more than you and me combined , he came in at the end of the tater tot Era when recruiting had come to a standstill. KF didn't have blue and burnt orange running through his veins.  

Yep. I watched that kid take beating after beating and get back up and go back out there in a very bad season. Gabe had talent and a huge heart. 

17 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

What position exactly does this Bulletin Board Material play? :dunno:

I'm hoping none, but if I were a terd O lineman I would take it as an insult

It would probably take something more in your face like: "We beat the dog crap out of them!" to get things spiced up.

If you can't get up to play your bitter rival for all the marbles, then go ahead and tear the bulletin board down because you got some bigger issues

23 hours ago, CountStandya said:

I hate to say this but Gabe Gross talking about Auburn football is like K Fraiser talking about Auburn football. Fill in QB with no ability to throw.....better stick to baseball...the boring sport.

Bammer Troll

i will tell you what i am afraid of. i think....maybe....that if auburn contains hurts and company they might send the gunslinger tua in to throw us off some. if the kid is that good and being a change of pace qb it might cause us some serious grief. anytime we seem to play a team with more than one decent qb we seem to struggle. i know tua is young but he has skillz and with our secondary banged up it worries me.anyone disagree or know anything that might help me relax a little?

33 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i will tell you what i am afraid of. i think....maybe....that if auburn contains hurts and company they might send the gunslinger tua in to throw us off some. if the kid is that good and being a change of pace qb it might cause us some serious grief. anytime we seem to play a team with more than one decent qb we seem to struggle. i know tua is young but he has skillz and with our secondary banged up it worries me.anyone disagree or know anything that might help me relax a little?

I think Tua would only come in if Jalen was having a terrible game and Auburn was up multiple scores. But if that were the case then it means Auburn is scoring well enough to probably keep scoring. And Tua is not the best decision maker with his throws and gets really rushed.

If Jalen can’t get it done efficiently then probably nobody can

13 hours ago, warhogone said:

Bammer Troll

Well let me tell you why I'm an Auburn fan

My Dad who was basically poor and abandoned at 10 years old in Opelika Al....was more worried about food than football...had to join the army to survive. Well a man name Shug would pick him up and drive him to his destination when he  hitched hiked the same path.....nearly every time....My Dad didn't know exactly who Shug was but found out as time went on.....that's why I'm an Auburn fan and have been since my first game in 1980.

Bama troll yeah sure. 

On 11/21/2017 at 8:31 PM, Aucater said:

Still didn't help him throwing the ball. .....Look I'm just saying having "heart" and love for Auburn doesn't necessarily give you ability to forecast such conclusions . I would definitely take more heed in the statement if it was Stan White....or Brandon Cox...Let's see what Pat Washington has to say...lol.....I'm kidding...

The OL has to open thing s up for Kam, Kam and others in the running game to really take off. But at the same time, the OL must give Jarrett time to hit his WR's on target. If our offense able to eat up a lot of clock on long drives and come away with TD's while keeping the other teams offense on the bench.

Archived