Help Me Catch Up

Zeek

19 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I left out Justin Ross, who was interested, but was probably headed to Clemson before we beat UGA and Bama. Now I would be surprised if we don't get him as well. 

Keith thinks Clemson still leads now FWIW.

What I can tell you is Jason Caldwell told me at the UGA game that his grandmother wants him close to home badly. Also JLee told me that with his mom being gone so long in the service that he may want to stay close to her now that she's back from over seas...Just some things to chew on.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Keith thinks Clemson still leads now FWIW.

What I can tell you is Jason Caldwell told me at the UGA game that his grandmother wants him close to home badly. Also JLee told me that with his mom being gone so long in the service that he may want to stay close to her now that she's back from over seas...Just some things to chew on.

Why does Jason Caldwell's grandmother care whether Justyn Ross stays close to home?

;D

3 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Why does Jason Caldwell's grandmother care whether Justyn Ross stays close to home?

Justyn Ross's grandmother...

a00e4152-8884-4eb1-b567-d4aa66f94b6e_tex

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Ellitor dishing out the smelling sauce.

When you under achieve on the field you are bound to under achieve in recruiting. 

Actually we haven't underachieved in recruiting. Gus has had us with a top 10 class every class he has been HC. The last 4 were in the top 9. Going back further we have have top 10 classes 7 of the past 8 years & the one that wasn't top 10 was #11.

I've seen a lot of comments across multiple message boards raving about our recruiting.

I think it is OK. It looks about average relative to our recent classes. Which have been OK (hovering around 8th - 10th, which means 5th or 6th in SEC).

Who are folks raving about? Are there some intangibles I'm missing? 

AU needs to pick it up and finish top 3 a few years in a row if we want to run the impossible gauntlet at the end of our schedule...which is looking to be a yearly thing. 

We BOUGHT stability within our coaching staff. Take advantage of it, Gus. That's what Auburn is paying for. 

Since this has become the most active "general" recruiting thread for the moment: take a look at all the updates E just provided. 

1. Please put the "recruiting services hate us" jokes to bed. 

2. *Once again*, this staff has shown themselves to be ahead of the game with their evals. Maybe this is common among power programs but I doubt it is. Gus has been remarkable in this regard.

24 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

I've seen a lot of comments across multiple message boards raving about our recruiting.

Good, they should be. This is shaping up to be a great class with guys that the coaches really wanted and very few misses.

I think it is OK. It looks about average relative to our recent classes. Which have been OK (hovering around 8th - 10th, which means 5th or 6th in SEC)

It’s above average to great at the moment. 8th (which is where we are currently) doesn’t mean 5th or 6th in the SEC this year. We’re ranked 2nd in the SEC currently with a ton of momentum. Not to mention 2018 is a down year in talent in areas we primarily recruit.

Who are folks raving about? Are there some intangibles I'm missing?

Joey Gatewood, Matthew Hill, Asa Martin, Smoke Monday, Seth Williams, and Coynis Miller. We beat out some very good teams for these guys. Not to mention the other guys I didn’t name. We also have been put into the top 3 for some other highly rated guys like Justyn Ross and Emory Jones who we could finish with.

AU needs to pick it up and finish top 3 a few years in a row if we want to run the impossible gauntlet at the end of our schedule...which is looking to be a yearly thing.

That’s just not going to happen. Ohio State, Georgia, Miami, and Texas are way too far ahead of the curve this cycle for us to come close to top 3. The impossible gauntlet isn’t exactly impossible seeing as we beat Alabama and Georgia, both of which have out recruited us in recent years. 

We BOUGHT stability within our coaching staff. Take advantage of it, Gus. That's what Auburn is paying for. 

Yes, and that’s exactly what recruits think of now, stability. Gus and company have shown an ability to recruit at an extremely high level and be in the thick of a playoff run in most years with top 10 classes every year in his tenure. Not only that, but our staff can scout talent very well.

There are things to complain about with Gus and the staff. Recruiting isn’t one of them.

10 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

I think it is OK. It looks about average relative to our recent classes.

Our recent relative average is AU recruiting at a high level. Tubbs' staff never recruited at this level consistently for example. There's only a few schools that can say they have had top 11 classes each of the past 8 seasons. AU is 1 of them.

11 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Which have been OK (hovering around 8th - 10th,

That's damn good actually. You can win championships with top 10 classes if the players are developed well.

12 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

which means 5th or 6th in SEC).

4th 3 of the past 4 years, 5th the other year, & 3rd this year.

14 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Who are folks raving about?

Joey, Asa, Shivers, Newkirk, Jibunor, Zakoby, Michael Harris, Smoke Monday, & Sherwood.

19 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

U needs to pick it up and finish top 3 a few years in a row if we want to run the impossible gauntlet at the end of our schedule...which is looking to be a yearly thing. 

No we don't. We just have to do a better job of retaining and developing the talent we have gotten before this season. The reality is it is hard to consistently recruit at a top 3 level @ AU given AU is the other school in a state w/ a blue blood school & surrounded in their recruiting areas by traditional powers like UGA, UF, & LSU, 2 of which are the lead school in their recruiting rich state & the other 1 a major in state player in 1 of the 3 best recruiting states..

Oh and the depth of the quality of this class is damn good right now. At 13 AU is 4th in the nation at most 4*s or better.

1. tOSU 17
2. Tesas 16
3. Miami 14
4. AU 13

Yall both did wonderful. And, you have me feeling a little better.

Couple questions:

1. Clayton says we are 8th, Ellitor says 13th. Is this discrepancy due to different services rankings, or we going composite?

2. Would we take Emory along with Gatewood? How would that play out? 

3. Does Auburn not have the resources to expand its recruiting territory?

I want to see us make a strong push considering this coaching carousel. We need to be all over Florida and Texas.

4 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

1. Clayton says we are 8th, Ellitor says 13th. Is this discrepancy due to different services rankings, or we going composite?

I didn't say we are 13th. I said we have 13 4* commits which is 4th in the nation right now. And we are 9th on the composite overall right now.

7 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

2. Would we take Emory along with Gatewood?

Yes. The staff has always wanted 2 in this class if they found 2 they like since we only have 2 QBs on scholly right now.

8 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

How would that play out?

What do you mean?

9 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

3. Does Auburn not have the resources to expand its recruiting territory?

Not about resources. AU is a strong Southeastern regional brand. To make it a strong national brand to where prospects outside the Southeast are getting in touch with AU to show interest AU has to win big consistently. Something we have rarely done in our program's history.

12 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

We need to be all over Florida and Texas.

We have a strong presence in Florida. 8 of the 9 assistant coaches have territories in Florida. Texas is too far away to send a lot of coaches there to have territories in Texas. When there's a Texas prospect interested in AU it's primarily the position coach that goes over to do the recruiting.

41 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Do we have a 220+ pound RB in our sights?  

Not in this class. We signed 1 last class that is near 220 that had to redshirt this year due to injury in J. Whitlow.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I didn't say we are 13th. I said we have 13 4* commits which is 4th in the nation right now. And we are 9th on the composite overall right now.

What do you mean?

Ok cool. Gotcha. Thanks for the info.  

I mean I don't want to see a debacle like A&M has had with their qbs lately.

We need to get that WR out of phoenix city. We need to lock up local studs for once. 

Biggest recruit this year is Stidham. He needs another year. If we lose both Johnson and Pettway, do you see us going juco for a RB or rolling with what we got and Asa?

We have to do a better job playing young guys throughout year to develop players. If I was coach, I wouldn't play a starter against the directional schools, ever. I would use those 2 or 3 games to develop talent. Backups start and play the whole game. It would basically be a jv team. Would we perhaps drop a game of this nature...probably never. Your "jv" team would be jacked up to play! They would play better than our starters did vs. Mercer and ULM. This might sound absurd, but I could sell to recruits that they will start games next yr.

Anyway, that's how I would run my program. But, I'm an engineer, so...

Guys like Malik Miller need to be on special teams and earning the right to play and seeing mop up duty.   KM should have been getting reps in every game no matter the score or competition.  

21 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Guys like Malik Miller need to be on special teams and earning the right to play and seeing mop up duty.   KM should have been getting reps in every game no matter the score or competition.  

You can't know that unless you are with them at practice every time out. For instance: Can Miller tackle anybody? I don't know and unless you attend practices you don't know either.

Reps for subs regardless of score or competition? This isn't rec league play where everybody gets a turn at bat. At this level, coaches don't put players in games, the players put themselves in or bench themselves according to how well they do in practice.

1 hour ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

If we lose both Johnson and Pettway, do you see us going juco for a RB or rolling with what we got and Asa?

And Shivers. Plus 1 of the guys we got had to redshirt all year. He has the size coming in at 216 lbs & explosiveness to potentially be a good SEC RB in J. Whitlow. If KJ & KP are not back next season we'd still have 6 RBs on roster as things stand now. The staff is done at RB in this class.

8 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Actually Miller was on special teams this year.  I like the guy too.  I think he can be pretty good.  The kid fights for yards like his life depends on it.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Actually Miller was on special teams this year.  I like the guy too.  I think he can be pretty good.  The kid fights for yards like his life depends on it.

I don't dislike Miller, I think he has a future with us. What I do know is that we fans that aren't at practices cannot sit here at a keyboard and say with any accuracy who should play and how much.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't dislike Miller, I think he has a future with us. What I do know is that we fans that aren't at practices cannot sit here at a keyboard and say with any accuracy who should play and how much.

To counter that, you have to know that there are 2 types of possibilities; practice warriors and gamers.  You never really know which you have until the lights come on.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

You can't know that unless you are with them at practice every time out. For instance: Can Miller tackle anybody? I don't know and unless you attend practices you don't know either.

Reps for subs regardless of score or competition? This isn't rec league play where everybody gets a turn at bat. At this level, coaches don't put players in games, the players put themselves in or bench themselves according to how well they do in practice.

Rec league? Everyone is on a power 5 football scholarship.  KM has been #2 the entire year due to injury and suspensions.   MM is a sophomore.   It’s not rocket science,   Game plan around players strengths.   Run plays that puts them in the best place to succeed while they are in the game 

Archived