Is this legal?

gr82b4au

Re-watching the Alabama game and with two minutes left in the first quarter the defensive lineman #33 claps his hands to try and get us to snap the ball. Is that legal? 

Saw that during the game and no, it’s not legal if he’s simulating the snap. However, that’s difficult to prove. Lot of difference b/w clapping and yelling out the cadence. The latter will get flagged. 

3 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Saw that during the game and no, it’s not legal if he’s simulating the snap. However, that’s difficult to prove. Lot of difference b/w clapping and yelling out the cadence. The latter will get flagged. 

It is intentional. I will try to find it on YouTube. Never seen anyone do that before. 

5 hours ago, corchjay said:

Yes they did that a few times in the game.  It’s illegal to try to induce the snap

Correction.  It’s not illegal if your own teammate claps his hands behind the center and induces him to snap the ball before the QB is ready ... just thought that distinction neede to be made(!)

It is Illegal.   It's a delay of game penalty if flagged

b. Illegal delay also includes:
1. Deliberately advancing the ball after it is dead.
2. When a team has expended its three timeouts and commits a Rule
9-2-2-e infraction.
3. When a team is not ready to play after an intermission between
periods (other than the half), after a score, after a radio/television/
team timeout or anytime the referee orders the ball put in play
(A.R. 3-4-2-I).
4. Defensive verbal tactics that disconcert offensive signals (Rule 7-1-
5-a-5).
5. Defensive actions designed to cause a false start (Rule 7-1-5-a-4).

6. Putting the ball in play before it is ready for play (Rule 4-1-4).
7. Sideline interference (Rule 9-2-5).
8. Action clearly designed to delay the officials from making the ball
ready for play (A.R. 3-4-2-II).
PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. Five yards from the succeeding spot [S7
and S21].

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

It is intentional. I will try to find it on YouTube. Never seen anyone do that before. 

I agree. Just difficult to prove. 

Far be it from me to stick up for Saban, but he wasn't wrong.

Here's Anfernee Jennings trying it.

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Big Ben can you post the ones that Uat was doing as well? 

The one on the bottom is Anfernee Jennings, Bama #33 mentioned in the OP. It should play from that point automatically, but if not go to 35:40 and watch the DE at the bottom of the screen.

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Far be it from me to stick up for Saban, but he wasn't wrong.

Here's Anfernee Jennings trying it.

I can't see anything in that first video.  In that second video, Tray Matthews is the only one I see clapping and he appears to be trying to get the attention of one of his teammates across the field and isn't even looking at the offense.  (I'm glad they goofed here as the receiver likely would've blown by him on this one had the QB been ready for the early snap as he was flat footed and looking across the field trying to communicate something.)

Bottom line, perhaps offenses should just use hand signals as it's kinda difficult for a defense to mimic a cadence with hand signals.

"But ref, the DB was making our hand signals in an attempt to induce a snap and that's why we snapped the ball!!!"  

35 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

I can't see anything in that first video.  In that second video, Tray Matthews is the only one I see clapping and he appears to be trying to get the attention of one of his teammates across the field and isn't even looking at the offense.  (I'm glad they goofed here as the receiver likely would've blown by him on this one had the QB been ready for the early snap as he was flat footed and looking across the field trying to communicate something.)

Bottom line, perhaps offenses should just use hand signals as it's kinda difficult for a defense to mimic a cadence with hand signals.

"But ref, the DB was making our hand signals in an attempt to induce a snap and that's why we snapped the ball!!!"  

Watch Tray here at 1:37:40.

Yeah, he was clearly trying to induce a penalty or early snap in the first video. Both defenses were guilty of this.

Games like this are why your team needs to know how to operate off of a silent count. Is it a lost art these days or something?

Archived