SECCG thoughts on what to expect

gr82b4au

After the beat down a few weeks ago and the way our defensive line controlled the game, I see Uga changing a few things. Of course they are a run first team but here is what I see them doing:

1) This is the big one: We will probably see a ton of RB screens to counter our speed on the DL. That is what we did so well against them and I sure that is what they will try to do against us. They hardly ran any when we played them last game.

2) I think they will hand the ball to their fast WR running down the LOS a few times like LSU did against us. They ran this play a few times against Ga Tech and it worked. They know that they will need to try and get to the edges because it is hard running up the middle on our defense consistently. 

3) They will run more quick slants. Again - they want to neutralize our strength - the DL. 

4) They will run more sweeps to get to the outside. 

On defense they will watch the quick passes to Ryan D on the outside. We killed them and alabama with this over and over. Of course if they play up it can create wide open players running down the field if Stidham has time.

I think we have a great chance to beat uga again but we will need to play out of our minds again for the 3rd time in 4 weeks. They played poorly the first time (a lot of it was us but some of it was them) and I don't expect them to play that way again.They are pissed and we are beat up. Can we keep playing this well again without having a letdown? I hope we can but it is very difficult. This is the toughest AU schdeule I have ever seen. This AU team is special but it will take something extraordinary for us to beat Uga again after just beating them a few weeks ago. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't really scheme around getting whipped up front - on offense or defense, so if UGA can't change what happened in the trenches, they won't be able to change what happened on the scoreboard. In fact our pass rush might be even more difficult to handle on turf. 

The only thing I'm really concerned about is that they missed on a few long passes and a couple would have scored. We've got to cover well and look for the ball. 

Weather the emotional storm in the 1st quarter and it's ours. We are the better team and showed it 3 weeks ago. Their "revenge" will only take them so far as long as we don't let them stay in the game. If we play our game and stay physical, the here we go again mentality will creep up.

I'm nervous about this game. Revenge games can be hard to gauge, I'm nervous about the lack of Kerryon, there were a lot of missed big plays by Georgia, they gave us the ball a lot, and everything seemed to align perfectly for that win. I think Fromm will be more comfortable and it will be an interesting game.

If our players take it seriously without being over confident we win. 

20 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The only thing I'm really concerned about is that they missed on a few long passes and a couple would have scored. We've got to cover well and look for the ball. 

Good point. We just need to win by 1. 

20 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

uga has had 3 weeks to buy tickets. Anybody concerned about it being all uga fans in ATL?

As I understand it, each school has a certain allotment guaranteed. I also think that there are a lot of Georgia fans who realize that the odds are against them and don't want to spend the money to end up losing.

24 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

uga has had 3 weeks to buy tickets. Anybody concerned about it being all uga fans in ATL?

Bama wasn’t selling theirs until late Saturday.  No problem

It will be close to 50/50. Their fans have forked out a good bit after the annual cocktail party and the trip to South Bend. Not to mention there is a LARGE Auburn support in the Atl area.

Offensively, I think we can adjust to whatever they show us on defense. With or without Kerryon, we will have a good run game. Kerryon is patient and can follow blocks well to get hard yards but Kam Martin has the speed to hit the hole before a LB can close it, as we saw against Bama this week (and several times before when we actually played him). That speed up the middle coupled with Stove or Barrett options to the outside and Georgia's defense will be worn down bad by the second half.

I am a little more concerned with what Georgia can come up with offensively to counter our defense. We played extremely well in coverage this week against Bama and I hope that can carry over to this week as well. We will still stifle their run game so it will have to be on Fromm to play well.

Like another poster said, if we dont have to rely on blitzing, screens wont matter. We gotta be way better on off tackle runs though, Alabama cooked us in that regard Saturday. im sure we'll see alot of RB screens and passes in the flat after Kirby watches the film. 

Things we need to stop in order:
1. RBs in space

2. Wims

3. N/A 

29 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Like another poster said, if we dont have to rely on blitzing, screens wont matter. We gotta be way better on off tackle runs though, Alabama cooked us in that regard Saturday. im sure we'll see alot of RB screens and passes in the flat after Kirby watches the film. 

Things we need to stop in order:
1. RBs in space

2. Wims

3. N/A 

Godwin is the other guy we have to shut down. We did a good job of doing this last game. He is their biggest WR threat. 

My thoughts on the SECCG:

1. Even though it's "home turf" for the Bulldogs, it should be noted that both Auburn and Athens are roughly the same distance from Mercedes Benz.

2. Three weeks ago, UGA wasn't playing for anything other than their undefeated record. They had already clinched the East. This time, UGA is playing for three reasons: Revenge, conference championship, and a playoff spot. 

3. Auburn played for all the marbles in two decisive wins this season: UGA and Alabama. A loss to Georgia meant Auburn being out of contention for the conference championship and a playoff spot. That upset led us to the winner-take-division Iron Bowl. In addition to not playing for the conference title, it also meant no playoffs for Auburn. I feel confident in this team's ability to perform under these circumstances, because they rose up to the occasion twice already.

4. Both teams have an advantage of having played each other in the regular season. Both teams know what to expect, what to change, what to improve, what the other team will be keying in on, etc.

5. This is now the 7th time the SECCG has been a rematch from the regular season. The team that won in the regular season is 5-1 in the rematch.

Auburn will drum 'em again...no worries. Like someone said, it's hard to scheme for getting out-physicaled. This team is confident and humble, not cocky. They will TCB.

I am not worried about them stopping us. Our Oline hasn't changed and neither has their Def. the only thing that really worries me is Fromm passing more. We loaded the box and stopped the run really well last time. That was their game plan to run because nobody had stopped them all year. Now that they know we can stop it I would expect them to pass a little more. I think a lot of Fromm's bad passing were because of the wind. That will not be an issue this week. If we can continue to stop the run and cover better we will be fine. I think KJ will be fine so we will get our points + JS is getting more and more confident and our receivers are getting better every week. By the time we get to the NC game they are going to be awesome!!!

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Those passes were missed primarily because someone was in the QB's face.  To me that is not a missed opportunity, especially when they could not block our DL the whole game.  Slow developing plays were destined to fail.  I think they will just as destined to fail on Saturday.  Fromm will have to get the ball out much faster this game and that requires faster decision making.  When I see him do it, I'll believe he can it. 

46 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

Those passes were missed primarily because someone was in the QB's face.  To me that is not a missed opportunity, especially when they could not block our DL the whole game.  Slow developing plays were destined to fail.  I think they will just as destined to fail on Saturday.  Fromm will have to get the ball out much faster this game and that requires faster decision making.  When I see him do it, I'll believe he can it. 

You are right but my point was that the receiver was open. That's what needs to be corrected. Hopefully we will have guys in his face again. I believe the defense will be fine overall. 

I felt good about Georgia the 1st time, felt good about the turds and am not worried about Georgia the 2nd time.  For those worried about the players getting cocky, don't, Mr. Vincent "Bo" Jackson stopped that in the 3rd quarter of the Iron Bowl and I doubt he will have to do that again.

I must say that I am more nervous about this game Saturday than I have been for any other game this year. UGA is going to be playing with a totally different mentality and this won’t be at home for us so I know the Georgia crowd will be looking to make a much bigger difference this time. That being said I do feel like we will have a great chance as long as our defense plays like they did the first time. After Saturday and seeing the way the coaching staff came with a perfect game plan in order to stop Hurts I feel like they will be able to adjust to whatever Georgia comes up with offensively. Our defensive adjustments have been great and also our secondary played great against Alabama. There were multiple times that Hurts had a multitude of time to throw the ball but had nowhere to go. The most important thing in my opinion is sucking their energetic out from the get go. I’d love to see Auburn come out and have two long TD drives and couple that to two three and outs on defense. I’d love our chances then. 

7 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I felt good about Georgia the 1st time, felt good about the turds and am not worried about Georgia the 2nd time.  For those worried about the players getting cocky, don't, Mr. Vincent "Bo" Jackson stopped that in the 3rd quarter of the Iron Bowl and I doubt he will have to do that again.

Say what?

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Bama wasn’t selling theirs until late Saturday.  No problem

No problem.  The way I see it....Alabama needs Auburn to WEEN to keep their "football fantasies" alive. EEET behooves them to sell them to the orange and blue.  @WFE12  :Sing:

Archived