Playoff nightmare scenario

lionheartkc

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bigbird said:

If OSU beats Wisconsin, I think they go before bama

Agree. Never bet against Bammer but their resume is pretty weak when it’s all said and done.

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agree. Never bet against Bammer but their resume is pretty weak when it’s all said and done.

And if there's any team that the media loves more than bammer, it's Ohio State. Saw it last season. Not to mention they travel well and have a huge following 

24 minutes ago, fredst said:

Media bromance, conveniently forgetting that Bama's best win is currently LSU. Last week it was Miss. State... 

You know what though. Put them in, and watch them lose to Clemson or Oklahoma. The saltier that fan base is the better!

I know people here hate Bama but there's no rational argument that Ohio State should get in over Alabama. Conference championships should only matter when the teams are equal. Ohio State has 2 losses and both of their losses were beat-downs. They lost by 15 at home to Oklahoma and lost by 31 to a 7-5 Iowa team. You can't just erase that by beating Wisconsin who hasn't played anyone. 

Tomorrow night's rankings are going to be interesting to see how just how the committee is going to set up for next week's games.

If Auburn is only #4 in the rankings tomorrow, that means that beating #1 Alabama only moved us up 2 spots from #6 to #4.

If Ohio State is ranked #7 or #8 tomorrow and then they beat #3 Wisconsin, will the committee justify moving Ohio State up 3 or 4 spots to #4? That would make absolutely no sense. If Auburn beating the #1 team only moved us up 2 spots, then why should Ohio State get to move up 3 or 4 spots by beating the #3 team? The committee would have some serious explaining to do if they pull that stunt.

If the committee had doubts about Alabama's strength of schedule, then why did they put Alabama #1 to begin with? They clearly don't think much of Wisconsin's strength of schedule because they have had them behind a 1 loss Clemson and 1 loss Oklahoma for weeks.

Unless Ohio State just crushes Wisconsin by like 30 points, I see no rational argument that they should get in over Alabama.

With all that being said, it'll be a moot point if Wisconsin beats Ohio State because they'll be in and Alabama will be out.

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

Is there a chance (hypothetically still alive after this Saturday) that every one of our snaps, going forward, is in a rematch?

possibly but hope not.

I stole this but:

You have all heard the Bammer fans say that they beat themselves in the Iron Bowl. This means that they beat the #1 team last week. THIS should be enough to get them into the playoff, right?

7 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I stole this but:

You have all heard the Bammer fans say that they beat themselves in the Iron Bowl. This means that they beat the #1 team last week. THIS should be enough to get them into the playoff, right?

They keep siting the 2 or 3 errors they made- if that's the case, hell, we were 2 or 3 errors from whoopin'em 35 to 7. -however off topic

2 hours ago, fredst said:

no way updykes should get in.

They get to not play and slip in?

My nightmare scenario:

We get in and play Climpson in NoLa.

Bammer gets in and beats Wisconsin in the Rose.

We beat Bammer in the title game.  We end up playing Climpson, Georgia, and Bammer each TWICE! 

#2,1,1,7,1,4 all in the same season.

Personally I would put OSU in over Bama. Here's why.

1. Conference champion does and should mean something

2 I put much more weight on who you have beaten rather than who you lost to. 

OSU if they beat Wisky would have 2 top 10 wins and a top 15.

Bama, while they have 1 less loss and it was to a top 6 team, has very few quality wins.  LSU and Miss St. 

Bottomline for me, is having wins over Mich St, Penn St, and Wisky > LSU and Miss St

Conference champion > no conference champion

Both teams have a loss to a top ranked opponent, Iowa being the bad loss but does not outweigh the 2 facts above.

Just my opinion and also I left out that I hate Bama. 

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

My nightmare scenario:

We beat Bammer in the title game.  We end up playing Climpson, Georgia, and Bammer each TWICE! 

#2,1,1,7,1,4 all in a row.

Damn, man, that’s a dream come true not a nightmare. Do that and you’re in the conversation as one of greatest college teams ever.

Regarding FiveThirtyEight, On the eve of the  2016  election their forecast gave Hillary Clinton a 71% chance of winning and Donald Trump a 29% chance. 

So much for FiveThirtyEight.

Here's the pickle the committee put themselves in last year: they put a 1-loss, non-conference champion (OSU) in the playoffs over their own 2-loss conference champion (PSU), who BEAT them in the regular season. In that scenario, bammer would go regardless of whether AU wins Saturday or not. 

I'm of the opinion that you take the top 4 from the Power 5 conference championship game winners, regardless of record. If you weren't good enough to win your own conference, you have no business in the CFP...period. Screw Notre Dame, they can s*** or get off the pot!

This takes the picking and choosing out of the hands of the committee. 

9 hours ago, TigerOne said:

no way updykes should get in.

They get to not play and slip in?

Ohio State did it last year over 2-loss champion Penn St..WHO THEY LOST TO IN THE REGULAR SEASON.  The precedent hs been set already by the dumbass committee. 

10 hours ago, Grumps said:

I stole this but:

I had a similar thought last weekend as I heard some pundits saying they'd rank us #1: "Don't do that, we'll just end up beating ourselves."

If we take care of business and win Saturday we’re in. 

Honestly, other than that, I don’t care how it plays out. All we have to do is win our next 3 games. It doesn’t matter who is on the other sideline. 

That is not the most nightmarish scenario.  The wost scenario is if we lose the SECC (God forbid) and Ohio State wins and/or TCU wins, then UGA will go, and bama might/probably will go and we'll be at home having to hear about it.  For those of you who don't remember 2004, we got to hear "13 and 0 with nothing to show" from the turds.

We HAVE to win the SECC.  Everything else is out of our control.

I would love for Clemson and OU to get a taste of our new improved team.

We were not the same team when we played OU in the Sugar Bowl last year, nor when we played Clemson last year or this year. I think we take both of them down!

I think most people’s flaw is using logic in their thoughts. In case you have failed to realize this yet or not here are the facts. The CFP was created by and for the power 5 conferences. It is a money thing. Each conference sets their own way of producing their champion. Because there are 5 conferences then one conference is left out. So here are some thoughts. Number 1 , you will never see a conference get two teams in the final four. That is not going to happen. There was the non-conference champ OSU that got in the game last year but it still was the only team from the Big Ten. I can promise you that the OSU move was approved of by the Big 10. So here is how I’m pretty sure it will end up.

1. ACC winner

2. Sec winner

3. Big 12 winner ( I think OU wins but if not, remember TCU would end up with a win against a top 4 OU the final week)

4. B1G winner ( I think Wis is really better than they have been given credit for, but if OSU wins then it is against a top 4 in the final week) 

there will be no second team from any conference.

bammer will get in if there's chaos. ESPN has spent the last 48 hours doing nothing but promote bammer as the #4 if Whisky and/or Boomer lose. Pathetic display of the obvious.

I'm pulling hard for Whisky and OU.

10 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

My nightmare scenario:

#2,1,1,7,1,4 all in the same season.

But just think about it.... If we were to navigate that all the way through, that would be unprecedented.  That's like.....lifetime bragging rights lol. A feat I doubt would ever be recreated. The ultimate bammer bashing trump card :hellyeah:

15 hours ago, Trublu4AU said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if either Oklahoma or Wisconsin loses, Alabama is back in the playoffs.

If Oklahoma loses, then yes Alabama is in. If OSU beats #4 Wisconsin then they'll be in.  One of their loses is to a playoff team in Oklahoma, and I don't see the PTB in the Big 10 allowing one of their members to be left out while a second SEC team is in.

Archived