The strength and conditioning coach

Dual-Threat Rigby

I saw this referenced earlier today and it reminded me of how bad the conditioning was last year. How often we had serious contributors hurt then too. We really do get hurt in key positions so often, its about time to take a strong look at what our coaching staff is doing in that regard. Entire OL has been hurt for most of the season. Both RBs have been seriously hurt for the past two years. We dont even know if White ever recovered. Kam Martin has been hurt quite a bit. That's not even factoring in like 3 or 4 starters on defense that have been pretty banged up this year and last. You can call it luck, you can call it a part of the game, but its an issue that must be evaluated with how often it happens to us

Lots of people think Cochran at Bama is one of the best in the business, and they still have plenty of injuries. It's a contact sport. There are certain things that no amount of strength and conditioning could avoid. Some people have said that each game you play as a running back has a similar effect on your body as a going through a car crash. Our S&C program is fine.

The correlation is idiotic.  Do you think the NFL, where the average salary is $1.9 Million per player, wouldn't have figured it out if not?  The Updyke S&C coach (Cochran) is top two or three money-wise and you see what they've faced at the LB position alone, right?   Ridiculous supposition.

A lot of people try to blame the S&C coach for injuries but often it's just bad luck. I've had both of my knees cut on. Lateral meniscus on both knees. HS fball practice, angle tackling. Second one, college flag football. Caught a slant and tried to cut. Tore it then. Point is you can't always blame the coach for players getting injured. Sometimes it's just really bad luck & some players are Moreno injury prone than others. I've always had injury issues purely to bad luck. I'm sure there may be some injuries that are due to poor conditioning though.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I saw this referenced earlier today and it reminded me of how bad the conditioning was last year. How often we had serious contributors hurt then too. We really do get hurt in key positions so often, its about time to take a strong look at what our coaching staff is doing in that regard. Entire OL has been hurt for most of the season. Both RBs have been seriously hurt for the past two years. We dont even know if White ever recovered. Kam Martin has been hurt quite a bit. That's not even factoring in like 3 or 4 starters on defense that have been pretty banged up this year and last. You can call it luck, you can call it a part of the game, but its an issue that must be evaluated with how often it happens to us

Look, I'm still not riding on the Gus Bus but seriously....did Gus take your lunch money, kick your puppy, or something? You've been grinding an axe now I think you've ground the axe head down to the shaft.

I haven't seen anything in the way of injuries that I could blame on S&C.  When an ankle gets rolled, a bone gets broken, a joint dislocated or even a hamstring pulled, it's often just one of those things that happens in a brutal contact sport like big time FBS football.  Seems to me that our S&C is actually pretty good.  Dominated both UGA and bammer in the trenches and played 'em straight up everywhere else.  Does a team with poor S&C do that?

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

The correlation is idiotic.  Do you think the NFL, where the average salary is $1.9 Million per player, wouldn't have figured it out if not?  The Updyke S&C coach (Cochran) is top two or three money-wise and you see what they've faced at the LB position alone, right?   Ridiculous supposition.

Totally agree with you, these things happen. You try to prepare for it, but sometimes the injury bug just runs through your team............

The implication was that the coaching staff should be held accountable for (Kerryon's?) injuries this year which could not be construed as good-natured.  Although it's the trendy thing these days, outrage is overrated...both times in this case.

It’s insulting to question the S&C coach based on nothing more than speculation. I mean if the entire OL has been hurt and not healthy I would be afraid to see them when they are...they are only plowing the way for the SEC leading rusher (did it last year too) Every team has injuries ...just part of the game. 

Realistically i don't see how two or three players don't leave in ambulances or helicopters every damn play. Every team deals with injuries. we are just thin at the rb position. We need Asa and 2 more.

59 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

When we weren't as physical of a team we didn't have as many injuries.  We can go back to that old EJ defense.

Actually this makes lots of sense.

Dtr: I've asked myself the same questions about s&c, but not in the last couple years. It could be they're getting hurt by playing like deranged animals lol. 

48 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Honest, good-natured discussion is evidently lost on people days like this lol 

Saying what you have to say without insults is a forsaken art. Sad! 

Thankfully, logically debunking an assumption based on loose correlations is not lost on people these days.

If this is in reference to KJ, his issue is purely on being ran 30+ times week in and week out. 

With a stable of backs, you shouldn't have 1 guy in the top 10 in carries while missing 2 games. 

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

The implication was that the coaching staff should be held accountable for (Kerryon's?) injuries this year which could not be construed as good-natured.  Although it's the trendy thing these days, outrage is overrated...both times in this case.

The implication was that the department could be deserving of a  re-evaluation due to the mass number of key contributors hurt under the new regime.  Nothing more nothing less m

26 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While we fared a lot better than last year, I'd still love to see us do more flexibility training. It certainly couldn't hurt.

How much flexibility training does the AU S&C program include now?

2 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Thankfully, logically debunking an assumption based on loose correlations is not lost on people these days.

Pretty easy to do such a thing. Also, you would assume it to be pretty easy to do that without slighting someone. IDK, maybe some people are born being abrasive individuals and like I said: Sad! 

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

How much flexibility training does the AU S&C program include now?

That's a good question. I havent heard about any at all. All I know is that my wife said it would help prevent some of the hyper extention injuries that plague us.

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

When we weren't as physical of a team we didn't have as many injuries.  We can go back to that old EJ defense.

Eh, we had a ton of injuries in 2014 it seemed like. But yeah, Ellis was extremely checked out that year.

Archived