SIAP: Did Smart complain to SEC about officiating in Auburn game?

DKW 86

Kirby Smart isn’t interested in breathing life into the comments made on the Iron Bowl broadcast by Gary Danielson. Smart wasn’t happy with the way the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry was officiated according to Danielson. The coach allegedly sent in a number of plays from the game to the league office.

“When we talked to Kirby Smart following the Auburn game, he felt that Auburn got away with a lot of holds in the secondary against his receivers,” Danielson said during the broadcast. “He sent in six plays to the SEC. He was not happy about what he had happen in that game.”

Smart was asked Monday about Danielson’s comments and whether or not he sent the plays.

"No comment,” Smart said.

What did Georgia’s receivers think? Terry Godwin addressed the issue Monday as well.

"I mean, they were (holding) but the refs didn’t call it so there’s nothing we can say about it," Godwin said, according to the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. "Just have to deal with it and play through it."

Godwin isn’t looking for the officials to call the game any differently on Saturday.

"You can’t go out there and expect them to put hands on you and for the refs to call it," Godwin said. "You gotta go out there and play football, and that’s part of football."

i like this godwin kid. i will like him more after a victory saturday night.

Sounds like he did to me from the no comment part.

Either way both defenses play physical and I can bet you anything Smart doesn’t want the refs dictating the game.  If so they will never be able to stay on the field with us in a shootout.  

So when every pass play there is called defensive holding or pass interference just remember Sabans little boy cried to the SEC offices.  We are certainly gonna Air it out against the dawgs

Usually "no comment" means "yes, but I don't want to make bulletin board material for the other team."  He just did with the no comment...

16 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Surprised Smart knows what holding looks like

He should...he coached it at bammer; but there they caledl it good physical defense.  My how things have changed!

30 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Surprised Smart knows what holding looks like

We so think alike. Beat me to it. ("Takes one to know one."...graduates of Holding U)

Smart is DES. PER. ATE.

Did I not see a picture of Terry Godwin grabbing an opposing player in the groin/rectum in the pile? Did anyone else see that picture? That's not only "holding", but a "personal foul" of the worst kind!!! 

Smart was the defensive coordinator at Alabama when Saban tried to get the substitution rule changed so he would have time to change the defensive scheme. Spurrier called it the Saban rule and personally fought against it with the NCAA. Smart learned from his old boss Saban that if you can't win fair and straight up try to change the rules and officiating to your advantage.

Georgia got away with a few unsportsmanlike conduct penalties so it goes both ways.  Kirby you took the initial defeat with a lot of class, don't blow it.

Coaches send stuff to the SEC about officiating practically after every game. This is nothing new.  What was new was Danielson being a jackass about it.  As others have posted, between those comments, his obvious bias during the game and calling our jump pass before we ran it, Danielson should only be given very limited access to our program this week.

wde

Let me add that I bet Smart wasn't too happy about what Danielson did either and that he will probably be more selective about what he tells Danielson from now on as well. 

wde

If Kirby did then we need to do the same. He is trying to create an advantage for his offense and we can't have that. This was one of several bush league comments made by Danielson when it became obvious bama would lose. 

I sure as hell hope our coach is doing everything he ethically can to gain a competitive advantage. If that includes working the officials to call a game more to our liking, then by all means, put the AV crew to work. 

Archived