A Bama fan visits Auburn ...

RunInRed

Alabama fan, Sam Woodward, shares his experience in Auburn ....

It’s been a while since I’ve been to Jordan-Hare for a game, and I’ll probably get hammered for saying this, but aside from the outcome, I actually really enjoyed the Auburn game day experience. Hear me out...

First of all, when we got there, I saw not one sign charging for parking. There was free parking everywhere...and even a free parking RV lot where we tailgated with some incredible AU fans. They welcomed us and fed us. I’m not talking about a hot dog or two...they had a full Thanksgiving spread with caramel pie for dessert. We left for the game stuffed. 

While walking to the stadium, we got caught up in a massive crowd, which turned out to be the Tiger Walk, and was such an impressive display of pageantry. Dressed in our Bama gear, we stuck out like sore thumbs in that sea of orange. To make things worse, AU fans were coming up to shake our hands, welcoming us to Auburn, and wishing us a good time. Wait...what?!

Inside the stadium was LOUD. Jordan-Hare holds 15k fewer fans than Bryant Denny, but is 3x as loud. And it’s not from piped-in hokie music...it’s crowd noise. It made our home games sound like golf tournaments. Plus, it wasn’t so commercialized. There weren’t Regions Bank or Tiffin Motorhome ads everywhere. 

The fans around us were great...except for the one Bama fan next to us. We actually had to apologize to the AU fans and assured them he wasn’t with us. He was the poster child for why people hate Bama. I laughed when one AU fan asked him, “And what years did you attend Alabama?” He didn’t. 

Of course, after the game, we experienced a few belligerent drunk 20 somethings, but that’s to be expected anywhere. It pains me to admit it, but Auburn has managed to keep the college atmosphere without catering only to the elite or selling out to corporate advertising. They’ve ensured that the average fan can still get the full experience without spending a small fortune to attend a game. 

I still (figuratively) hate Auburn because of the rivalry, and I’ll continue to talk trash until my last breath. However, I have a newfound respect for them, and I’ll admit...a little bit of jealousy.

23905408_10154826507530213_4939732134594664264_n.jpg

Oh, wow, this is AUsome. Can we clone him???

ok so he's that 1-3% that we have heard rumors about.

He did verify some of the many differences between Auburn and the uat cult.

Remember he wrote that after getting ass kicked and still had to add his gods picture

Just now, TigerOne said:

Remember he wrote that after getting ass kicked and still had to add his gods picture

Baby steps. Baby steps.

I must admit that my one trip to bryant-denney back in 02 was a pleasant experience.  Bama fans were cordial and friendly.  However I was not at all impressed with their atmosphere or the stadium in general. It seemed a little boring.  It didn’t feel intimidating at all like walking up to the Swamp or Tiger Stadium. Jordan-Hare is special. Auburn is special and after some time away I was reminded of just how special Saturday.  

Very nice story. Thank you for sharing that as a reminder that there are good fans for every team. Many just made a bad decision somewhere along the way and followed the wrong crowd into the wrong stadium and were lost forever. :)

3 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

I pulled his profile pic and added it to the post, just to clarify.

Glad to see someone from over there recognizes the difference. I am proud that we showed him what makes Auburn great. We had a young man, all dressed in his Bama gear, sit next to us. I made my husband sit next to him, because I was afraid he'd be ugly and I would have to say something. :-\ Anyway, my husband could make friends with a lamppost, so he found out that the kid was from Pennsylvania, is starting school at Bama next fall, and only picked Bama because he had a man-crush on Saban. We were super nice to him, and he was to us. As he was leaving, we told him that it wasn't too late to change schools. :Sing:

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

I pulled his profile pic and added it to the post, just to clarify.

then I retract the last line and of course he didn't have to write anything and did admit he is jealous of Auburn

which most uat fans are. They live for a semi pro football team. Auburn people live for Auburn.

90% of my bama friends are pretty cool ?, but just as with Auburn there are some bad apples! 

I just responded to this post on FB. I love to see folks who are amazed by the Auburn experience. I hope that this post is seen by Jay Jacobs and our president, as well as the rest of the powers to be.

7 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

then I retract the last line and of course he didn't have to write anything and did admit he is jealous of Auburn

which most uat fans are. They live for a semi pro football team. Auburn people live for Auburn.

I had a bammer "friend" tell me after the IB that I should just admit that I was jealous of bammer...I asked "jealous of what"...well uat's traditions of course!  I quickly told him that when my son graduated from AU last year that he became a 4th generation AU grad...on my side and my wife's side of the family...now THAT'S for real TRADITION!  Crickets from my "friend"...not surprised.

One thing I can honestly say, if AU stopped playing football at all I would still love Auburn and visit every chance I could just to walk the streets and enjoy the greatest town and university with the best people, in the entire world. WDE

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

One thing I can honestly say, if AU stopped playing football at all I would still love Auburn and visit every chance I could just to walk the streets and enjoy the greatest town and university with the best people, in the entire world. WDE

And at least go watch the equestrian team from time to time...:cool:

Inside the stadium was LOUD. Jordan-Hare holds 15k fewer fans than Bryant Denny, but is 3x as loud. 

That is my take as well.

Awesome job!

28 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Well that guys gonna get a brick through his window for sure. 

He better not go to krystals anytime soon after posting that............... 

ive been a Bama fan my whole life. i was born into it .but married into a auburn family  my husband and son are some of the biggest fans around .i go to all auburns games  with them and love every minute of it. but this was our first iron bowl  .i went with my bama gear on and my mouth ready .but if you could see my long post on facebook youd see i totally agree with this post .i was so disappointed in first that their was hardly any alabama fans supporting their team  2nd that every auburn fan we passed said war eagle to my husband and son .and of all the bama fans i said roll tide too only a few said it back most looked at me like i was crazy .there was no school spirit at all  i even sat right by alabamas band and they didnt even seem to have spirit .as we watched game we was surrounded by both bama and auburn fans  .the auburn fans was so pumped up but the bama fans all just pretty much set there .i love nick saban and alabama football but i do believe auburn pushed harder because they had so many cheering them on .i felt the same way alittle jealous   because as many times as ive been to jordan hare ive never met one hateful person its truly like one big family it dont matter about color finances  whether your heavy or skinny young or old they all welcome you and treat you right and just as was said earlier the only smarting off we heard in the 2 days we were there was a bama fan trying to start trouble .glad im not the only one that all of this stood out too  ,still love bama but i will be cheering auburn on in the bowl game 

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He better not go to krystals anytime soon after posting that............... 

....or Wal-Mart.....

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Well that guys gonna get a brick through his window for sure. 

Hope he doesn’t have any stairs in his house that he can fall up....

Archived