Deontay Anderson (Ole Miss Transfer)

au_bsci_04

2 seasons at OM. With TM, SR, and NR graduating, we could use an experienced S to go along with our nice recruits.

247 Recruiting Page

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/newly-named-ole-miss-head-coach-matt-luke-grants-safety-deontay-anderson-full-release/

Ole Miss has reportedly granted Deontay Anderson a full release from the school, according to a report from USA TODAY columnist Dan Wolken.

Anderson, who played safety for the Rebels for the past two seasons, will apparently seek immediate eligibility at a new school.

He redshirted this football season.

Anderson petitioned the NCAA for a transfer waiver so he could be eligible to play next year. He said he was misled about NCAA violations the school had committed when he was recruited as a 4-star player in the class of 2016.

New head coach Matt Luke granted Anderson the release on Monday, a statement noted.[\quote]

We've got three safetys committed and only 8 slots left before we hit the 25 limit. I don't think another safety is in the cards. OL, DL, LB and CB all need some additions too.

Tom Mars is disappointed. He was trying to goad Ole Miss or someone else into commenting on their ridiculous allegations.  He wanted to sue, but Ole Miss did the right thing. Grant the transfer and leave it to the NCAA. I think it’s highly unlikely that they give him a waiver to play this year. And suing the NCAA if they deny his petition gets him nothing. It would take more than a year to resolve. 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

We've got three safetys committed and only 8 slots left before we hit the 25 limit. I don't think another safety is in the cards. OL, DL, LB and CB all need some additions too.

Would he count toward this class, though?

2 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Certainly. Everybody else that transfers with a waiver counts with their class. What's different about this one?

3 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Certainly. Everybody else that transfers with a waiver counts with their class. What's different about this one?

To add to this, all new scholarship players who get their scholarship before being at the college for 2 years must count to a yearly 25 limit.

Sign him up. We are scary thin at Safety next year. Who do we even have? We have Peters who has played some this year. Then what? We go straight to nicklebacks at that point?

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Sign him up. We are scary thin at Safety next year. Who do we even have? We have Peters who has played some this year. Then what? We go straight to nicklebacks at that point?

As a transfer, he couldn't play next year anyway. Unless the NCAA grants a waiver to the transfer rule, which they have been extremely reluctant to do.

We have three good prospects committed and it appears that this guy and his lawyer are trolling for grounds to file a lawsuit. He's a good one to avoid on many fronts.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

As a transfer, he couldn't play next year anyway. Unless the NCAA grants a waiver to the transfer rule, which they have been extremely reluctant to do.

We have three good prospects committed and it appears that this guy and his lawyer are trolling for grounds to file a lawsuit. He's a good one to avoid on many fronts.

For sure only take him if he can play immediately. We need help next year not the year after. I don't want to be relying on those great prospects as Freshmen. I'm not too concerned about his lawyer. NCAA needs to stop treating these kids like property. The school this kid signed with is under NCAA investigation and the coach he signed with is no longer there. He sat out last year so let the kid play this year. I don't want free agency in college football but a little common sense to benefit the kids who have a very small window to play would not be a bad thing

A school is going to have to take him and hope he gets the waiver. The NCAA generally does not respond quickly to waiver petitions, and Mars has said they have yet to even file. It's going to be fall before he finds out if he's eligible this season.

As for Safety, I'm reluctant to say Anderson (who has played one season of ball at another school) would be a plug and play guy for us. I'd say he's walking in behind Daniel Thomas and Jordyn Peters for sure. If we assume a guy like Jeremiah Dinson is likely to work at Safety in addition to Nickel, he's way ahead of Anderson. Then, add in all Monday, Sherwood, and Fuqua. I think all three are early entrants (two at least) so they'd have a spring under their belts as well.

Again, no guarantee he's a plug and play guy for us. I bet we don't get any farther than kicking the tires, if we are interested at all.

We will have growing pains at safety, but Peters is a player.  I could see Dinson playing nickle and Thomas at safety. However I could also see one of the EE's taking over one of the spots.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We will have growing pains at safety, but Peters is a player.  I could see Dinson playing nickle and Thomas at safety. However I could also see one of the EE's taking over one of the spots.

Also wouldn't be surprised if we look in the grad transfer market if the staff feels we need a veteran back there like Blake Countess from a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Also wouldn't be surprised if we look in the grad transfer market if the staff feels we need a veteran back there like Blake Countess from a few years ago.

Are coaches allowed to contact players at other schools and "re-recruit" them?  

8 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Are coaches allowed to contact players at other schools and "re-recruit" them?  

Only 2 ways. The player has to graduate & be open to being a grad transfer or the player has to get a waiver like DA has done from Luke for opposing coaches to be able to initiate contact. Any other contact started by a coach to an opposing player is considered tampering & a NCAA violation.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

^^This^^

Looks like we weren't even in his top 5 when he committed to OM, so it would probably take a lot of work to get him here. If I had to predict, given that he is from Texas, he would probably choose either ATM or LSWho.

If we count in the Aussie punter, we now have only six slots left. Do we really want to use one of them on a fourth safety in this class, a safety that won't be eligible to play until the 2019 season and would have only two years of eligibility left? I'd think not.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

If we count in the Aussie punter, we now have only six slots left. Do we really want to use one of them on a fourth safety in this class, a safety that won't be eligible to play until the 2019 season and would have only two years of eligibility left? I'd think not.

No

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

As transfer, he wouldnt count against the 25 would he?

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

As transfer, he wouldnt count against the 25 would he?

Yes & it's been stated many many times the last 6 years. All new players on scholly regardless of transfer or from high school have to count to a yearly 25 limit unless they are at their new school at least 2 years as a walk on.

Archived