Deontay Anderson (Ole Miss Transfer)

au_bsci_04

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yes & it's been stated many many times the last 6 years. All new players on scholly regardless of transfer or from high school have to count to a yearly 25 limit unless they are at their new school at least 2 years as a walk on.

Thanks E. I had a feeling you jump in.  Are there any possibilities to make him count towards the 2019 class.

4 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Thanks E. I had a feeling you jump in.  Are there any possibilities to make him count towards the 2019 class.

Yes. He can enroll in school at Auburn as an ordinary student, then try out for the football team. If the coaches want him around, he can play on the scout team for the 2018 season. (All this at his own expense) Then if the staff wants him on the team they can offer him a scholarship with the rest of the 2019 signees. Then he'll have two years left.

Just now, Mikey said:

Yes. He can enroll in school at Auburn as an ordinary student, then try out for the football team. If the coaches want him around, he can play on the scout team for the 2018 season. (All this at his own expense) Then if the staff wants him on the team they can offer him a scholarship with the rest of the 2019 signees. Then he'll have two years left.

Thanks. He is a good enough player that I don't see him going that route but at the same time our spots should all fill up pretty soon. Especially if we beat UGA again.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Or a much easier way is enroll on scholly after May 31st so he can count to the 2019 class.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

I like this option!  

I'd prefer the get an established grad transfer option to enroll after May.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Or a much easier way is enroll on scholly after May 31st so he can count to the 2019 class.

Why do we want him when he can't play until 2019? The three we have committed are all said to be top prospects. They'll be sophomores before this guy can see the field. There will be more high school safeties available for the 2019 class and there's nothing about this player that says he's super.

Yes, if we want immediate help at the position, a grad transfer makes sense. Signing a player that will have to sit a year, then will only have two to play, and is rumored to be trying to file a lawsuit against his prior school doesn't make any sense.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why do we want him when he can't play until 2019? The three we have committed are all said to be top prospects. They'll be sophomores before this guy can see the field. There will be more high school safeties available for the 2019 class and there's nothing about this player that says he's super.

Yes, if we want immediate help at the position, a grad transfer makes sense. Signing a player that will have to sit a year, then will only have two to play, and is rumored to be trying to file a lawsuit against his prior school doesn't make any sense.

I don't want him. I was just answering @thaitopher's question the way he worded it without giving any more of my opinion on him. My opinion on him was already clearly stated & did not need to be rehashed.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:52 PM, Mikey said:

If we count in the Aussie punter, we now have only six slots left. Do we really want to use one of them on a fourth safety in this class, a safety that won't be eligible to play until the 2019 season and would have only two years of eligibility left? I'd think not.

I'd rather take 2 Aussie punters. ;)

If Anderson had looked amazing as a freshman, it might be an interesting decision. He didn't. He looked... fine. Honestly, that year, Daniel Thomas looked like the better player. More than anything, that's why I don't see places like Auburn looking very hard here. I just don't think you take a two year guy without feeling strongly that he can make an immediate impact.

I see it's been established that this guy is not of interest, but an interesting question, none the less... is he now required to sit out a year?

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I see it's been established that this guy is not of interest, but an interesting question, none the less... is he now required to sit out a year?

If what @Barnacle posted in the other thread is true about only SRs allowed to transfer the follow up to that would DA would be subject to standard transfer rules & would have to get his own separate exception from the NCAA to not have to sit.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If what @Barnacle posted in the other thread is true about only SRs allowed to transfer the follow up to that would DA would be subject to standard transfer rules & would have to get his own separate exception from the NCAA to not have to sit.

Ah... missed the seniors only thing. Thanks.

Archived