Is there a chance we lose Lindsey

Timeslider 6

After reading these two articles, is there a chance we lose Coach Lindsey?, i hope we can step up to the plate and compensate him for what he's done for the program.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburn-oc-chip-lindsey-reportedly-candidate-south-alabama-job/

and

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-chip-lindsey-south-alabama-job

Someone with some insight please reassure me.

With so much volatility at the head coach position around the league, if he waits a year or two he can probably step into a job that he might normally have to wait 5 or 6 years for.  That's how I would approach it.  IMO AU is a much easier path to head coach of a P5 program than risking it all in the obscurity of S Alabama. 

3 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

After reading these two articles, is there a chance we lose Coach Lindsey?, i hope we can step up to the plate and compensate him for what he's done for the program.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburn-oc-chip-lindsey-reportedly-candidate-south-alabama-job/

and

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-chip-lindsey-south-alabama-job

Someone with some insight please reassure me.

No inside info here, just a couple of observations:  He’s only a few years removed from coaching HS and could stand to get another year (or more) of “quality” experience at the college OC level before making the jump to HC.  If he does that then he could do a LOT better than South Alabama.  The offense loses 4 seniors on the OL, but Stidham probably returns as a pre-season Heisman candidate next season with his receving corps pretty much intact.  He’s never going to get that kind of talent at Sout Alabama.  

I think we would all love him to settle in and perfect his craft some more before moving on.  Auburn benefits and Chip would benefit. 

There are plenty of cases where a skyrocketing coordinator jumps into a HC job too early.  We need stability for 3 yrs.

He has done a remarkable job but it's too soon so I would say no. Chip is in the early stages of establishing his credentials and credibility. Give it a couple more years like this and he will be in good shape.

i'm personally not worried about him leaving for the S Alabama job or any job this season. As long as he gets along ok with Gus then he should stay put for a couple years at least and get a better opportunity. But if he doesn't get along with Gus (i have no idea if he does or not) then he'll probably head out and that would be wise for all involved. So in summary if he leaves then he needed to go. Hope he likes AU and plans to stay a while personally. 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

i'm personally not worried about him leaving for the S Alabama job or any job this season. As long as he gets along ok with Gus then he should stay put for a couple years at least and get a better opportunity. But if he doesn't get along with Gus (i have no idea if he does or not) then he'll probably head out and that would be wise for all involved. So in summary if he leaves then he needed to go. Hope he likes AU and plans to stay a while personally. 

I hope he does as well, he seems to do a really good job of having Stidham ready and next year seems to have a lot of potential, especially if we have a line that gels quickly.

7 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Yes, i have his name kicked around also.

Not happening. His next move will be retiring. What is it one more season and he’s vested with the state?

Don't worry we will always have "The Shadow" and his minions to keep us on track. WDE

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

No inside info here, just a couple of observations:  He’s only a few years removed from coaching HS and could stand to get another year (or more) of “quality” experience at the college OC level before making the jump to HC.  If he does that then he could do a LOT better than South Alabama.  The offense loses 4 seniors on the OL, but Stidham probably returns as a pre-season Heisman candidate next season with his receving corps pretty much intact.  He’s never going to get that kind of talent at Sout Alabama.  

Were these same words not repeatedly said about the HC that everyone wants to keep at AU now?  Gus took a gig at a secondary type school for a year and then became a P5 HC.  Can't fault a guy for bettering his situation.

Not saying he is leaving or not.  I have no idea what he wants to do.  But I hope he stays!

Just now, zhpate said:

Am I the only one thinks we have a harder time holding onto Steele? Or am I paranoid? His name has came up a lot in all this Tennessee drama.

No you aren't the only. I think you are right, we may have a harder time holding onto Steele. Right now lots on teams are looking for a proven coach, even though his head coaching record is terrible, he may still get a chance. 

10 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

No you aren't the only. I think you are right, we may have a harder time holding onto Steele. Right now lots on teams are looking for a proven coach, even though his head coaching record is terrible, he may still get a chance. 

Internet gossip is they want him for DC. Does any rational person thinks Steele leaves Auburn, with the talent we have, for the chaos of Tennessee football?

If we shut down UGA like last game and do the same in the playoffs he will get a hard look from many different teams. Tennessee is so desperate that previous HC records probably will not matter at this point. I don't think he would want to step into that dumpster fire though. I just want consistency on D is that too much to ask?We are young on defense , we need to pay Steele first if anyone was to get a raise.

I agree about the appropriate compensation for all our staff. I think we already have one of the highest payrolls in the NCAA. But we can't afford to lose the staff and the continuity we have at Auburn. 

This is nothing against Chip . He has proven his metal as an OC. Another year or two of maintaining this level he will definitely get a shot at a D1 team. I think he is smart enough not to go with a worse team that he has no chance to win with. Plus there are still many things to learn about running a total football program. Recruiting, shaking hands with boosters . Handling problems for young men in his care. Right now I’m sure he want to spend sometime validating his type of offense and his capability to compete at the upper level. I’m more afraid of loosing Steele . He has a good track record. Could be a steal for some program. I am not sure of his ambitions at this point in his career. Finally if want good assistant coaches here at AU, you have to understand that the odds of them leaving are much greater in demand .

52 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

His record as a HC was beyond terrible. I think he retires, or comes as close as he can, at AU. 

Archived