Nick Saban quote

augrad68

8 minutes ago, augrad68 said:

I bet he is changing his mind now!!!  If you live by the sword - you die by the sword.

image.png

"Well....uh....I said that when times were different.  As I've aged, I've gained new perspectives in life and sometimes the best teams DON'T always win their conference.  Sometimes the best teams have crappy holders and crappy kickers, and it just isn't right to keep a dominant football team from winning it all just because some short little 125 pound man can't do his job right.....and just to be clear, when I refer to the short little 125 pound man, I was referring to the kickers, not myself."    

I don't know, but it sure was funny to see Lane taking a shot on Twitter. :laugh:

AL.com came to his rescue and put out the entire statement from the original press conference. It came from 2016. 

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/nick_saban_meme_about_alabama.html#incart_river_home

Question: Do you think being conference champion should trump anything else on a resume for playoff consideration?

Answer: "I think I could answer the question better if you gave me a specific scenario. I think that being a conference champ is certainly a significant accomplishment for any team or any program.

"I also think that sometimes there are circumstances that a team can play really, really well for an entire season, and are we basing the playoff on the whole body of work that a team does throughout the year in terms of all the teams they've beat, the quality opponents they played against, or is it just about one game? And when you talk about conference championships, if you play a conference championship some leagues don't even have conference championships. So, it's not sort of a fair and equitable way to base that particular group that didn't play a conference championship, so you're doing the whole body of work. Then it seems a little more reasonable to look at everyone else's entire body or work when you decide who the best teams are.

"Hey, we won a national championship here and didn't win the SEC. I mean, I think, in that particular year, LSU and Alabama had the two best teams, so we had to play in the regular season. We played 9-6.  Forty-two guys, somebody wrote an article, played in the NFL that played on the field that day. So, they were two really, really good teams. Well, both teams in the same division couldn't go to the conference championship. So, we end up playing in the championship game. So is that the right thing or the wrong thing? I'm sure everybody could debate that. But, I believe those were the two best teams. So, it depends on what that goal is."  

bama didn't win their division!  Much less the conference....They have no signature wins over anyone in the top 15 

quick recap:

no wins over a top team

didn't win division

do they really deserve to be ahead of a  UCF-type or any other team vying for a top spot?  

He never said the original quote.

He's only doing his job by lobbying for a playoff spot now.

I don't think we have to worry about them getting in. 

Even if they do, we'll have a historic opportunity to whip both our main rivals' asses twice this year. 

I know Bama doesn't have the SOS this year, but I still think they beat most of the top 10 teams head to head. But they'll just have to "settle" for the Sugar Bowl this year if they don't make the playoff.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He never said the original quote.

He's only doing his job by lobbying for a playoff spot now.

I don't think we have to worry about them getting in. 

Even if they do, we'll have a historic opportunity to whip both our main rivals' asses twice this year. 

Go Oklahoma

Just now, Barnacle said:

Go Oklahoma

Sweet Christ, I want another shot at them. Or, perhaps more appropriately, I want Jeff Holland to get another shot at Baker Mayfield them.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sweet Christ, I want another shot at them. Or, perhaps more appropriately, I want Jeff Holland to get another shot at Baker Mayfield them.

I’m trying my level best to not get my hopes up and only focus on the next game, but....dammit yes. Can Coe have a shot too?

4 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m trying my level best to not get my hopes up and only focus on the next game, but....dammit yes. Can Coe have a shot too?

Football GITMs for everyone!

2 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

AL.com came to his rescue and put out the entire statement from the original press conference. It came from 2016. 

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/nick_saban_meme_about_alabama.html#incart_river_home

Question: Do you think being conference champion should trump anything else on a resume for playoff consideration?

Answer: "I think I could answer the question better if you gave me a specific scenario. I think that being a conference champ is certainly a significant accomplishment for any team or any program.

"I also think that sometimes there are circumstances that a team can play really, really well for an entire season, and are we basing the playoff on the whole body of work that a team does throughout the year in terms of all the teams they've beat, the quality opponents they played against, or is it just about one game? And when you talk about conference championships, if you play a conference championship some leagues don't even have conference championships. So, it's not sort of a fair and equitable way to base that particular group that didn't play a conference championship, so you're doing the whole body of work. Then it seems a little more reasonable to look at everyone else's entire body or work when you decide who the best teams are.

"Hey, we won a national championship here and didn't win the SEC. I mean, I think, in that particular year, LSU and Alabama had the two best teams, so we had to play in the regular season. We played 9-6.  Forty-two guys, somebody wrote an article, played in the NFL that played on the field that day. So, they were two really, really good teams. Well, both teams in the same division couldn't go to the conference championship. So, we end up playing in the championship game. So is that the right thing or the wrong thing? I'm sure everybody could debate that. But, I believe those were the two best teams. So, it depends on what that goal is."  

I believe the original quote of him saying you shouldn't play for the national championship if you didn't win your conference was years before the LSU Bama rematch year. 

Archived