Coaching Stability

AUpreacherman22

4 teams in the SEC West will have 1st year coaches next year!!!  LSU will have a 2nd year Ogre. 

CGM will be in year 6  (and 12 for nikky satan)   We have a real opportunity to further separate ourselves from the pack and make this “winner-take-all Iron Bowl” an annual thing. 

Thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

4 teams in the SEC West will have 1st year coaches next year!!!  LSU will have a 2nd year Ogre. 

CGM will be in year 6  (and 12 for nikky satan)   We have a real opportunity to further separate ourselves from the pack and make this “winner-take-all Iron Bowl” an annual thing. 

Thoughts?

Hard to imagine the MS schools and Arky making any noise anytime soon. I think the days of the entire West being a gauntlet have passed.

I will always fear, or at least respect, LSU and TAMU. Those two schools are always a decent coach away, as they have the resources and recruiting ability to be elite.

But next year? Yeah, we might have a shot at making some noise again. Just depends on whether or not we have a decent OL figured out by the time our conference schedule really kicks into gear. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But next year? Yeah, we might have a shot at making some noise again. Just depends on whether or not we have a decent OL figured out by the time our conference schedule really kicks into gear. 

I'm the last person to ask anything about our offensive line, but it sure seems like we're in good shape on the rest of the offense. Stidham's stock is certainly rising, but right now I don't see any of our underclassmen skill players heading to the draft. 

Where are the other biggest questions? Linebacker? Secondary? 

Not sure where he found it (been waiting for 3-ish years for it to happen) but CGM seems to have finally realized his killer instinct.  That's what made the Spurriers and Bryants (BLECH!!) so good. ....I leave lil general out cuz he has a guardian angel running the NCAA to provide a blanket of security for him.  IF Gus has truly unleashed his inner BA as it seems, we can be very happy fans for years to come.  ....and you watch; first win streak AU has over spuat and the saban retirement parade will begin.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm the last person to ask anything about our offensive line, but it sure seems like we're in good shape on the rest of the offense. Stidham's stock is certainly rising, but right now I don't see any of our underclassmen skill players heading to the draft. 

OL, safety and kicker for me. Dunn, Golson, Smith, Matthews, Roberts, Carlson... yeesh. 

Going to miss Tre Williams quite a bit, but it's been a blessing in disguise- speaking *strictly* of the future- that we haven't gotten 100% of him in half a season. 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Not sure where he found it (been waiting for 3-ish years for it to happen) but CGM seems to have finally realized his killer instinct.  That's what made the Spurriers and Bryants (BLECH!!) so good. ....I leave lil general out cuz he has a guardian angel running the NCAA to provide a blanket of security for him.  IF Gus has truly unleashed his inner BA as it seems, we can be very happy fans for years to come.  ....and you watch; first win streak AU has over spuat and the saban retirement parade will begin.

I’m not ready to say that for sure yet. He had a “killer instinct” in 2010 and 2013. Let’s see how we come out of the gate next year...

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

OL, safety and kicker for me. Dunn, Golson, Smith, Matthews, Roberts, Carlson... yeesh. 

Going to miss Tre Williams quite a bit, but it's been a blessing in disguise- speaking *strictly* of the future- that we haven't gotten 100% of him in half a season. 

I was thinking Deshaun Davis was a senior as well. I guess we'll be expecting him back? What do we have behind Matthews and Roberts?

Hopefully Carlson v.2.0 will be just as good as the original.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hard to imagine the MS schools and Arky making any noise anytime soon. I think the days of the entire West being a gauntlet have passed.

I will always fear, or at least respect, LSU and TAMU. Those two schools are always a decent coach away, as they have the resources and recruiting ability to be elite.

I agree.  I think the MS schools and Arky are gonna suck for a while, at least. 

LSU will always have competitive talent. We’ll see how this staff utilizes it.  A&M has the resources and they are in a talent rich area to recruit very well. I would say they are clearly below the top 3 right now and clearly well above bottom 3. 

I truly believe that aTm is a good coach away from being a force in the SECW and even nationally.  If they go out and get a proven HC and not some up and coming coordinator, then it will be completely different than most other 1st year coaches.  I mean look where KS is in year 2 and of course where McElwain is in year 3.  My point is that aTm has plenty of funds and great facilities and they are in a VERY talent rich state where there is no other SEC school.  LSU is only going to be relevant when\if they find a QB.  The rest of the west is very likely down from there.  But it could shift from AU/UA/LSu to AU/UA/aTm

Just now, AUpreacherman22 said:

I’m not ready to say that for sure yet. He had a “killer instinct” in 2010 and 2013. Let’s see how we come out of the gate next year...

I know where you're coming from.  I even hesitate to post such a sentiment.  But my thought/hope is beyond the on field coaching or recruiting or pressers.. There's been less of the robotic coach speak from him.  Even BEFORE the lswho debacle.  The "apparent" convo with Kirby after the thuga game, the FACT that he bragged about kicking the dawg crap outta them, challenging a first down while up by 20-30, the openly admitting AU was better than bama... These are Spurrieresque in tone and that's a FAR cry from the Gus we've known for 8 years.

19 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

1. Safety

2. OL (have the players, just need to sort them out)

3. Receiver

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

At least we replace Carlson with Carlson who, if not as good, is damn close enough that we won't miss much.

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I was thinking Deshaun Davis was a senior as well. I guess we'll be expecting him back? What do we have behind Matthews and Roberts?

Hopefully Carlson v.2.0 will be just as good as the original.

Deshaun is a junior so it'll be good to have him back. Losing Matthews and Roberts sucks though. My biggest concern is replacing our center and overall experience on OL with Golson and Smith.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

1. Safety

2. OL (have the players, just need to sort them out)

3. Receiver

Who do we lose at WR? Still return Davis, Slayton, NCM, Stove, Hastings, McClain. Don't see any of those guys leaving early.

I would be shocked if KJ doesn't declare for the draft. I think our chances of keeping him were slim prior to the IB, but after his injury, he's going to realize he needs to get some money in the bank now and not risk missing out because of injuries.

49 minutes ago, Jfsmoncrief said:

Won't be surprise if Carlton Davis leaves for the draft or atleast thinks about it 

He should. Last I checked he is a projected 1st rounder

15 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I would be shocked if KJ doesn't declare for the draft. I think our chances of keeping him were slim prior to the IB, but after his injury, he's going to realize he needs to get some money in the bank now and not risk missing out because of injuries.

I think it will all depend on how he grades. 

If things go down the way they should. I think the SEC will be much more competitive. By that I mean, Pruitt to MSU, Norvell to Arkansas and Gundy to Tennessee. I believe Florida made a solid hire.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

If things go down the way they should. I think the SEC will be much more competitive. By that I mean, Pruitt to MSU, Norvell to Arkansas and Gundy to Tennessee. I believe Florida made a solid hire.

Been reading that Moorhead (Penn State OC) is the front runner for MSU now with Venables as #2 choice.

wde

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I agree.  I think the MS schools and Arky are gonna suck for a while, at least. 

LSU will always have competitive talent. We’ll see how this staff utilizes it.  A&M has the resources and they are in a talent rich area to recruit very well. I would say they are clearly below the top 3 right now and clearly well above bottom 3. 

This... they have enough money to get really competitive really fast (hopefully if they do, it will be because they bought a good staff and not good players). They are the #1 team in the nation for athletic revenue.

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Who do we lose at WR? Still return Davis, Slayton, NCM, Stove, Hastings, McClain. Don't see any of those guys leaving early.

Was thinking Ryan was a senior

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

LB should be fine, Secondary will be really young. OL is our biggest question mark going into 2018 assuming Stidham stays. 

Archived