Tennessee targets DC Kevin Steele

ScottsboroAuburnFan

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

two things: 

Butch must be laughing today and UT is freaking out.

Well anyone wanna interpret this......

Kevin Steele misses Broyles Award events

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele is a finalist for the Broyles Award, which will be presented to the nation's top assistant coach Tuesday in Little Rock, Ark. But he's not there and won't be there.

Steele missed a function Monday night and was due to arrive this morning, but he sent word to event organizers that he would not be able to attend because of a job interview.

That interview appears to be with Tennessee. Tennessee athletics director Phillip Fulmer is in New York City, where many of the nation's top coaches and administrators have gathered for the annual National Football Foundation's annual awards dinner, Dawgs247 reported Monday is also interviewing Georgia defensive coordinator Mel Tucker. There could be others.

Steele has been prominently metioned in speculation about the Tennessee search for a replacement for Butch Jones that has been controversial almost from the start.

Former athletics director John Currie reached an agreement with Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano, only to withdraw it after a flood of protests on social media. Currie eventually was let go and replaced by Fulmer, who as head coach, led Tennessee to the 1998 national championship.

A former Tennessee player, Steele has resurrected Auburn's defense the past two seasons and is immensely popular with players and with Auburn fans.

3 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Fingers crossed they pick mel

Just heard that the Fulmer's short list has been "leaked":

Steele
Les Miles
Mel Tucker
Chad Morris

31 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Steele
Les Miles
Mel Tucker
Chad Morris

IMO, the more likely scenario is, Fulmer tries to talk Steele into becoming the defensive coordinator.

honestly Steele would be all but guaranteed to take the head coaching position if offered. who wouldn't. but I can't imagine why he would love to Tennessee for coordinator position with everything he has built here and the depth of the talent pool.

35 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Steele
Les Miles
Mel Tucker
Chad Morris

Got a feeling its gonna be Les or Mel. If I were Fulmer I'd go with the known commodity of the Mad Hatter. 

I know the mad hatter didn’t end well at LSU, but dang if they did not have a lot of good teams under him. Also, there are not many coaches with his resume. Like many coaches, he is only as good as his coordinators and he would need to get a good offensive one and let him do his job. In Tennessee’s position I would think it would be a no brainer. 

FYI - 2nd interviews for Tucker and Steele.....

Georgia, Auburn defensive coordinators interviewing again with Tennessee

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21676980/georgia-defensive-coordinator-mel-tucker-auburn-defensive-coordinator-kevin-steele-interview-tennessee-today

35FA8C6F-553B-4477-9341-A8B6F25B100C.gif

D623F0A3-FB8A-471D-8C08-5A207D5D4F20.jpeg

1 hour ago, Southwest said:

My concern is what happens to TWill,Garner,Brown??? That's if Steele leaves

Garner's not leaving AU for anywhere. T Will either I wouldn't think unless it's a promotion. No idea on Brown.

Archived