Tennessee targets DC Kevin Steele

ScottsboroAuburnFan

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AURocketman said:

Chizik is a good DC that lives in Auburn.

Not Head Coach but Defensive Coordinator.  Did good at North Carolina.  We had a great defense the first time he came through Auburn.

Can't see that Head Coach and Coordinator flip flop being the answer. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess it could be a matter of who is closer to the situation and has a better foundation for their opinion..:dunno:

Unless we have posters in the war room with the coaching staff, nobody is close to the situation. It is all opinion based. I base my opinion on the fact that T-Will was here during muschamp. He saw the blue print being created. He then works hand and hand with CKS, who also followed the blue print. He didn't invent the wheel. In a temporary segment, I wouldn't be opposed of someone like that running the defense.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

My opinion is that the defensive coordinator will need more experience than Gus in order for him to have respect for him and let him do his job.  

You are probably right on the money with that one. 

Just now, DAG said:

Unless we have posters in the war room with the coaching staff, nobody is close to the situation. It is all opinion based. I base my opinion on the fact that T-Will was here during muschamp. He saw the blue print being created. He then works hand and hand with CKS, who also followed the blue print. He didn't invent the wheel. In a temporary segment, I wouldn't be opposed of someone like that running the defense.

guess if my job depended on what he got done....it might be concerned about it quite a bit...:)

Çorch is 100% right about TWill not being ready.  He may be one day, but he isn't close to being ready...IMO

Just now, bigbird said:

Çorch is 100% right about TWill not being ready.  He may be one day, but he isn't close to being ready...IMO

Agreed. Lets Hire Alex Grinch if it comes to that and move on with another string of great defenses. I am sure you are in complete agreement with this! haha

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Can see that Head Coach and Coordinator flip flop being the answer. 

Not no but hell no.   He is checked out of the coaching profession.   His defenses st UNC were terrible against good competition.   His defenses at auburn were horrible too.  If the steele to Tennessee is true, this will be a big hire by Gus.   

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I don't disagree, but we said the same about TRob and he is doing okay. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Agreed. Lets Hire Alex Grinch if it comes to that and move on with another string of great defenses. I am sure you are in complete agreement with this! haha

No we are going to hire will muschamp back.  Didnt you know bro?

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not no but hell no.   He is checked out of the coaching profession.   His defenses st UNC were terrible against good competition.   His defenses at auburn were horrible too.  If the steele to Tennessee is true, this will be a big hire by Gus.   

Mistyped. It was supposed to read that I can't see it working. My bad. :sad2:

27 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Randy Shannon just took the DC job at UCF. Shannon’s Defense’s at UF we always one of the tops in the SEC and in the nation. Plus he has great recruiting ties to the state of Florida. I am fairly certain the AU job is better than the UCF job.

Now that is a realistic pick and hire. 

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

UNC was not piece of cake but compare "before Chiz" with "during Chiz" with "after Chiz" and his little stint there looked pretty good.    UNC apparently did not recruit much for defense since their HC was an offensive guy. 

But yo are right....I don't see Chiz going back to coaching any time soon and certainly not at AU.. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

UNC was not piece of cake but compare "before Chiz" with "during Chiz" with "after Chiz" and his little stint there looked pretty good.    UNC apparently did not recruit much for defense since their HC was an offensive guy. 

But yo are right....I don't see Chiz going back to coaching any time soon and certainly not at AU.. 

Well why would he coach under his once subordinate ? That would never happen. Nor would CGM think of hiring him, IMO.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

No we are going to hire will muschamp back.  Didnt you know bro?

giphy.gif

It would downright suck if he left , but good for him . I would be concerned but with what we got coming back  Most good defensive coordinators would atleast listen . Auburn would just need to make sure and get a guy who runs same type defense cause that's what we have recruited for . Not only that but it was easy transition for the guys going from Muschamp to Steele . 

So who is our defensive play caller on the sideline since Steele has been in the booth? I figured that was TWill and he'd be our interim guy but I didn't even think about RG at the time.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Didn’t we get Steele because he brought stability to the defensive side of the balk?

I do think he was chosen because of the similarities between his defense and Muschamp's. I could be wrong though.

This would be so Auburn-like for a coach to have a good season then he is stolen away while our rivals keep their coaches. Like clockwork. 

7 minutes ago, Linayus said:

So who is our defensive play caller on the sideline since Steele has been in the booth? I figured that was TWill and he'd be our interim guy but I didn't even think about RG at the time.

Steele calls the defensive plays from the PB and it is relayed to coaches on sideline who relays to D on field. Now there is talk between Steele and T-will and others for info or suggestions....

TWill has been coaching for a grand total of two years and now some folks think he is ready to be the DC for an SEC team. Sure thing. That would be so Gus like. 

25 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Didn’t we get Steele because he brought stability to the defensive side of the ball?

Yea, but who could have guessed his buddy would work a coup in order to get control of an athletic department and then make a run at him for head coach.

All I can think is Fulmer is planning to pay him big $$$. Otherwise, if I'm Steele, I'm staying where I am. I can just imagine him on the sidelines at Tennessee quoting Danny Glover... "I'm too old for this s**t".

Archived