Tennessee targets DC Kevin Steele

ScottsboroAuburnFan

Just now, cctiger said:

Why not? you think Garner would not be able to handle the DC job?

Nope.  He has never been close to getting a DC job.  He is a DL coach.  Same as TRocker.

wde

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

How do you know what someone is capable of doing until you actually let them do it. Was Rhett lashlee ever ready to move on from Gus, until he actually did It?

Rhett was at least doing the job before going to UCONN... UCONN, not Texas or Michigan.  

None of our current defensive coaches are ready to be play callers as a DC.  Now you might bring in a play caller and make Garner the DC but let someone that knows how to call a game call it.  

But... I would take Rodney as a Head Coach before I made him a DC.  

Hire Alex Grinch and call it a day. He would walk across hot coals to be at Auburn with a significantly more talented team and a big bump in pay. He has Washington State 13th in total defense this season. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

How do you know what someone is capable of doing until you actually let them do it. Was Rhett lashlee ever ready to move on from Gus, until he actually did It?

Maybe for the bowl game as interim, but not as a permanent replacement.

wde

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Rhett was at least doing the job before going to UCONN... UCONN, not Texas or Michigan.  

None of our current defensive coaches are ready to be play callers as a DC.  Now you might bring in a play caller and make Garner the DC but let someone that knows how to call a game call it.  

But... I would take Rodney as a Head Coach before I made him a DC.  

Rhett lashlee was doing everything Gus Malzahn told him to do. 

Randy Shannon just took the DC job at UCF. Shannon’s Defense’s at UF we always one of the tops in the SEC and in the nation. Plus he has great recruiting ties to the state of Florida. I am fairly certain the AU job is better than the UCF job.

Just now, DAG said:

Rhett lashlee was doing everything Gus Malzahn told him to do. 

maybe but unless he and gus are on the phone during his games he's had a very good year with a very poor team and substantially moved them up in the way of offensive production.   Gus was probably holding him down at some point...that delegation and trust thing perhaps? . 

I'll trust Gus' ability to identify and hire the right person for the position.  He's done pretty good so far in his hiring practices.  

Trust me it won't be T-will.  He has a long long long way to go before he's ever identified as a DC candidate.  

Just now, AU64 said:

maybe but unless he and gus are on the phone during his games he's had a very good year with a very poor team and substantially moved them up in the way of offensive production.   Gus was probably holding him down at some point...that delegation and trust thing perhaps? . 

That’s my point . Nobody would’ve known what Rhett can do. Maybe T- Will isn’t ready , but maybe he is ready. Who knows?! 

Just now, DAG said:

That’s my point . Nobody would’ve known what Rhett can do. Maybe T- Will isn’t ready , but maybe he is ready. Who knows?! 

True but Rhett had several years under Gus as OC and also a year at Samford if I recall correctly.....T Will is pretty fresh at the coaching profession. 

Just now, DAG said:

I think that might be point. Who knows? Do we want to put a Who Knows in as our DC? I love TWill and think he is and will become an excellent coach. It just might be a little early for a DC spot at a top 10 school.

1 minute ago, thewhiz7 said:

I think that might be point. Who knows? Do we want to put a Who Knows in as our DC? I love TWill and think he is and will become an excellent coach. It just might be a little early for a DC spot at a top 10 school.

Interim* I didn’t say hire the guy at DC. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hire Alex Grinch and call it a day. He would walk across hot coals to be at Auburn with a significantly more talented team and a big bump in pay. He has Washington State 13th in total defense this season. 

Don't think I would feel to comfortable with him, his D had some serious breakdowns this year vs California and Washington from my viewpoint of those games.....

Just now, DAG said:

Interim* I didn’t say hire the guy at DC. 

My apologies. I thought I saw posts to hire him as the DC.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I know he isn't ready.  T-Will wouldn't get a DC job at UAB, heck wouldn't get a DC job at UAH.   He's family and all but he isn't ready for that.  I don't know if he will ever be ready.  So trust me on this one, T-will isn't the reason for the much improved linebacker play he's part of it but you have to give Steele the majority of that credit. T-will is an excellent young assistant that can relate to recruits.  Give him 10-15 years under some good DC's and maybe he'll be ready to be a DC at a school like AU.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I know he isn't ready.  T-Will wouldn't get a DC job at UAB, heck wouldn't get a DC job at UAH.   He's family and all but he isn't ready for that.  I don't know if he will ever be ready.  So trust me on this one, T-will isn't the reason for the much improved linebacker play he's part of it but you have to give Steele the majority of that credit. T-will is an excellent young assistant that can relate to recruits.  Give him 10-15 years under some good DC's and maybe he'll be ready to be a DC at a school like AU.  

You keep saying trust you ? Why would I trust you ? Haha . You have an opinion like I have an opinion.

1 minute ago, thewhiz7 said:

My apologies. I thought I saw posts to hire him as the DC.

No need to apologize . My question was who would be the interim and a poster responded with t-Will and I said I would like to see what he could in that role. A couple of people ran with it like I said he should be our next DC.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You keep saying trust you ? Why would I trust you ? Haha . You have an opinion like I have an opinion.

Guess it could be a matter of who is closer to the situation and has a better foundation for their opinion..:dunno:

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

He is closer than that.   Facts are you don't know and you are just giving your opinion.

Just now, auburnphan said:

He is closer than that.   Facts are you don't know and you are just giving your opinion.

Thank you !

5 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Don't think I would feel to comfortable with him, his D had some serious breakdowns this year vs California and Washington from my viewpoint of those games.....

Every defense has had some breakdowns at one time or another. He has a impressive resume. If we are hiring only guys who have never had a breakdown we never would of got steele who had a 70 spot put on him at clemson by WVU in a bowl game and got him fired. No DC is perfect. This is not a one time thing either. Grinch was a finalist for the broyles award in 2015 in his first year as DC at wazzu. He was Mizzou Secondary coach from 2012-2014 so he at least has some sec ties.

Chizik is a good DC that lives in Auburn.

Not Head Coach but Defensive Coordinator.  Did good at North Carolina.  We had a great defense the first time he came through Auburn.

Just now, AURocketman said:

Not Head Coach but Defensive Coordinator.  Did good at North Carolina.  We had a great defense the first time he came through Auburn.

no thank you

1 minute ago, AURocketman said:

I do not think that will be a popular choice on this board but your statements are true.

Archived