Tennessee targets DC Kevin Steele

ScottsboroAuburnFan

5 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

TWill has been coaching for a grand total of two years and now some folks think he is ready to be the DC for an SEC team. Sure thing. That would be so Gus like. 

Not that I think he's the right choice, but for the record, he's been coaching 5 years and that's only 3 less than T-Rob before he became a DC. The big difference is T-Rob is DC under a defensive minded head coach.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, fishepa said:

This would be so Auburn-like for a coach to have a good season then he is stolen away while our rivals keep their coaches. Like clockwork. 

Who do you have in mind.....seems that coordinators and assistants are moving around all the time.   The key in my view is not changing everything you do to accommodate the schemes or whims of the incoming guys unless you are having big problems.  It's been killing AU for our players to have to learn new schemes and terminology every couple years.  

As noted by someone above, Steele brought some much needed stability to the defense after Muschamp and like it or not Chip's offense was similar enough to what Gus and RL ran that players could adapt pretty easily.   

Riding around in East Tennessee for a few days and listening to sports talk radio, the vol nation doesn't seem too thrilled with Steele as a finalist.  The majority think they can get a proven winner as a HC.  The funny thing is they trust Fulmer and will go along with his choice.  That's a little different from his predecessor.  

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Riding around in East Tennessee for a few days and listening to sports talk radio, the vol nation doesn't seem too thrilled with Steele as a finalist.  The majority think they can get a proven winner as a HC.  The funny thing is they trust Fulmer and will go along with his choice.  That's a little different from his predecessor.  

Over on volnation looks like if Steele is chosen they'll have another revolt on their hands. I'm not reading the confidence in Fat Fulmer at this point either, but hey...

Actually, TWill did have one year of coaching at Northern Iowa. That extra year of on the field coaching should put him at the top of the list for DC if Steele goes. You bet. 

2 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Actually, TWill did have one year of coaching at Northern Iowa. That extra year of on the field coaching should put him at the top of the list for DC if Steele goes. You bet. 

I hope you are kidding TWill is no way ready to be a D.C. If and that's a big If Steele leaves we will find a proven D.C. 

3 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

He was also the Offensive Coordinator at a high school between Northern Iowa and Auburn, which should endear him that much more to Gus. As I said, however, I don't think he's the right choice, but you do need to give him credit for his full career.

12 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

Chad Morris hired and he in turn is trying to bring in Venables.

Hired at Tennessee?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Çorch is 100% right about TWill not being ready.  He may be one day, but he isn't close to being ready...IMO

what about the 10-15 years part?  he won't be ready until he is 45 to 50 yrs old?      Micheal Irvin has a phrase for that

15 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

Chad Morris hired and he in turn is trying to bring in Venables.

Don’t this would ever happen for another DC job. He’s got it made in Clemson.

3 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

If Steele goes, I think Gus will find a perfectly great DC. He hired Muschamp and Steele, so I think his next DC hire will be a homerun, too. Hopefully.

Gus approved but not exactly his hire alone, this is Auburn.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

what about the 10-15 years part?  he won't be ready until he is 45 to 50 yrs old?      Micheal Irvin has a phrase for that

No, I'd say in 5- 10 depending on who he works and learns under. The coaching is the easy part. The play calling and organization takes time to learn effectively. JMO

4 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

If Steele goes, I think Gus will find a perfectly great DC. He hired Muschamp and Steele, so I think his next DC hire will be a homerun, too. Hopefully.

Muschamp and Steele were pushed on Malzahn by Jacobs and company.  For as much hate as that idiot gets, he deserves praise for at least pushing some solid coaches on Malzahn.  If it were up to Malzahn you'd probably see Joe Lee Dunn patrolling the sidelines.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No, I'd say in 5- 10 depending on who he works and learns under. The coaching is the easy part. The play calling and organization takes time to learn effectively. JMO

Agreed, I am not saying he is a Jim Leonhard type but he had one year of coaching experience and is the DC at Wisconsin and did quite well......continuing a similar scheme is the easiest of transitions to move up, not that I think he is ready but some guys always rise to the challenge and he does fit that personality type.

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

If it were up to Malzahn you'd probably see Joe Lee Dunn patrolling the sidelines.

or Ellis Johnson

2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Jake Paul to UT per msnbc^-^

Who?  It doesn't matter.  

A huge sigh of relief.   Can you imagine if Auburn could be stable with DC and OC for 3 yrs?   We would be 10-2 or better every year.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Agreed, I am not saying he is a Jim Leonhard type but he had one year of coaching experience and is the DC at Wisconsin and did quite well......continuing a similar scheme is the easiest of transitions to move up, not that I think he is ready but some guys always rise to the challenge and he does fit that personality type.

The thing Leonhard has is 10 years in the league under some great DCs. 

Continuity is key. You're right.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He’s what 34-35.  I’d say around 42ish he might be ready for an SEC DC job if he’s able to work under someone like Steele.  

Thats not to take away from what he has accomplished he’s done a fantastic job coaching and recruiting but he has a long long way to go before he is ready for a big time DC job

Archived