Kodi Burns

PigskinPat

He’s received A LOT of criticism about his coaching ability and not deserving to be in the position he’s in. Our receivers have elevated their games considerably over the last few weeks, most notably Slayton and Davis (who has gone into absolute full beast mode).

So.... was Kodi wrongfully accused to an extent? Does he deserve some credit and praise for the way our receivers are now producing? What say you?

I think practice wise KB knows and does everything he should. What has shown this year is the ability to coach during games and learning when and what adjustments to make

10 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

He’s received A LOT of criticism about his coaching ability and not deserving to be in the position he’s in. Our receivers have elevated their games considerably over the last few weeks, most notably Slayton and Davis (who has gone into absolute full beast mode).

So.... was Kodi wrongfully accused to an extent? Does he deserve some credit and praise for the way our receivers are now producing? What say you?

I think it was deserved at the time. Our receivers weren't getting open against Mercer and the effort wasn't there in blocking.

How does that work though? NCM,SAL,McClain still have been basically nonexistent. So is it 50/50? Now I will say he has recruited some nice Wr this class.

Kodi, like Chip, may have benefited from Gus loosening his grip on the offense.  Also speculation, but there may have been a case of addition by subtraction when the Kyle Davis circus left town.  Slayton has been the most improved player on the field.  Ryan Davis's contributions have been the most glaring.  Kodi does deserve some credit...I was certain he was the second weakest link after the LSU game.

We need NCM to take that next step.  Getting open and catching the ball.  Someone to go across the deep middle makebthe catch and take the hit.  He did it on the 3rd down in the bama game.  R. Davis and Slayton have come on.  Hastings is a reliable underneath guy with some wiggle.  If NCM finds his way the throwing game really opens up and gets dangerous.  

With bowl or playoff practice you basically have another spring practice so improvements to be made by all.  

Kodi has done a pretty good job imo, our WR have improved and his Recruiting is looking good. Imo he has shown to be a better WR coach then the one befor him and is starting to become a good recruiter... If you really want a true judgement, it will be next season. All the 1st year WR have improved, even if it's not up to the standard the fans want. I've seen improvement, and I've also seen plenty of the reasons the 1st year guys haven't played up to fans expectations. All the WR said he changed the culture in the WR room day 1 and has pushed them harder than they have ever been pushed. I still don't miss the previous WR coach who I refuse to mention his name. 

2 hours ago, Southwest said:

How does that work though? NCM,SAL,McClain still have been basically nonexistent. So is it 50/50? Now I will say he has recruited some nice Wr this class.

There's not a logical reason why NCM doesnt have like 500 yards right now, that isnt all Kodi's fault, but the man might be a top 5 receiver in terms of potential in this conference. I just dont understand. McClain is a tough catch type of guy (like Kyle) and we arent trying anything too risky like that often, so I guess I understand why he isn't getting burn. But with the deep shots, other than Slayton, even factoring in Slayton, NCM is an actual specimen 

3 hours ago, Southwest said:

Still is beyond me from hearing and seeing all the compliments Sal got and actually seeing the improvement of NCM in the spring game and them barely having any kind of impact catching the ball.

One thing many have not keyed in on is Kodi's ability to recruit.  This year we have been snagging highly recruited 4*'s.  Like T-Will, the guy loves Auburn being a former player so recruits believe what he says about the university.  Kudos Mr. Burns.

I suspect the improvement at QB has also allowed our WR's to take a step forward. The passing game as a whole is significantly improved. Some nice blocks were noticed in the Bammer game also that helped with the run game and those perimeter passes getting sprung. Someone's teaching something because the offense is as unpredictable and efficient now as it has been since Al Borges was OC.   Reckon Al is involved with this improvement?

8 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Kodi, like Chip, may have benefited from Gus loosening his grip on the offense.  Also speculation, but there may have been a case of addition by subtraction when the Kyle Davis circus left town.  Slayton has been the most improved player on the field.  Ryan Davis's contributions have been the most glaring.  Kodi does deserve some credit...I was certain he was the second weakest link after the LSU game.

We were playing well with KD in the lineup and had he been there for LSU he would not have dropped those 2nd half passes. ...best hands on the team.

There has been a big improvement but I still look at NCM and McClain and say, huh?  Those guys just look like they have all the physical ability in the world and there ain't much happening with them, though NCM did get the TD on the jump pass against Bammer.  Must be a practice thing.  

......."physical ability".....  that is just part of it....and perhaps some guys with lots of it are inclined to think they just have to show up. 

There are only a certain number of pass attempts in a game. Coaches and JS throw to guys  they have confidence in and we see who they are... though JS seems to spread it around most games.

9 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I think when Slayton returned it seemed to open everything up

From inside the stadium  still was seeing some guys run very lazy/slow routes if they figured the ball was not coming to them. Also not very many guys working back to the QB when he seems to be in trouble. These were observations from the end of the season. NCM still does not seem to get much separation and Cannella can't catch a cold at the moment. Now Davis and Slayton seem to play every play hard no matter what.

I’ll say this about Kodi, what he lacks in experience is more than compensated by his commitment, work ethics and his love for Auburn. He is and will always be a true Auburn man. I want us to stay behind him and let him continue to grow into a great coach I know he will be. WDE

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

We were playing well with KD in the lineup and had he been there for LSU he would not have dropped those 2nd half passes. ...best hands on the team.

Again it's speculative on my part, I've been on and coached some teams where the mental make up (chemistry) has dramatically changed with and without certain guys.  It certainly wasn't the physical part of Kyle Davis's game that was at issue.  Cowart's departure may have some similar effect on the defensive side.

As an aside, Tressel's book (I know) "Winner's Manual For Life" attempts to define what makes up great team chemistry.  He boils it down to love and trust.  Love your teammates and trust your coaches.  I am in violent agreement with that postulate.

49 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

From inside the stadium  still was seeing some guys run very lazy/slow routes if they figured the ball was not coming to them. Also not very many guys working back to the QB when he seems to be in trouble. These were observations from the end of the season. NCM still does not seem to get much separation and Cannella can't catch a cold at the moment. Now Davis and Slayton seem to play every play hard no matter what.

I think folks continue to look past our WRs blocking abilities. I can promise you we would not be in the SECCG if it wasn’t for the great downfield blocking for these guys. Also we are pretty highly ranked in our passing game as well so I don’t see why the criticism. Do they all have some bad plays? Yes. But what WR group doesn’t.

I like Kodi and I remember all the awesome things he did in his playing days for us. However, Kodi has very little experience at being a WR coach at this level. I still believe Malzahn needs to bring in a proven WR coach and recruiter. We also need a special teams coach. We were awful at covering kicks.

12 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think folks continue to look past our WRs blocking abilities. I can promise you we would not be in the SECCG if it wasn’t for the great downfield blocking for these guys. Also we are pretty highly ranked in our passing game as well so I don’t see why the criticism. Do they all have some bad plays? Yes. But what WR group doesn’t.

I agree with you. I think NCM is on the field mostly for blocking purposes. Big body and usually holds his blocks pretty well. He has had some whiffs this year just like everyone else.

Realize there was a big philosophical change in the WR game between CGM and CCL. Prior to CCL, we had the CGM/CRL/CKB approach which was basically CGM's philosophy. So it took time to change the philosophy. I think that is one reason production was low early in the season, and higher now. Also the improvement of JS played a role.

This passing game will only get better.

13 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I like Kodi and I remember all the awesome things he did in his playing days for us. However, Kodi has very little experience at being a WR coach at this level. I still believe Malzahn needs to bring in a proven WR coach and recruiter. We also need a special teams coach. We were awful at covering kicks.

I completely agree with the need for a change in the ST coach.

Archived