Does AU poach any Ole Miss players following NCAA sanctions

aujeff11

Can we contact Ole Miss players or must they contact us first?

Context: Ole Miss players are now free to transfer without sitting out a year due to the recent sanctions that were finally handed down including bowl bans, loss of scholarships, showcauses, and vacated wins.

Who I’d want: Shea Patterson, A.J. Brown, Little, Tre Nixon.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

So which players we gonna grab now? Shea Patterson? 

Likely none. We are low on spots & they will still count against a team's yearly 25 limit even if the NCAA lets them be eligible immediately to play. Remember the Penn St fall out some years ago. Those players who transferred had to go to team who still had room under their yearly 25 cap.

Shea is a definite no. We have Stidham & Shea will want to start immediate.

12 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

So which players we gonna grab now? Shea Patterson? 

Shea likely goes elsewhere. TAMU seems probable.

I think we have a real shot at D.K. Metcalf. 

Also unsure about what restrictions, if any will be placed on players choosing to transfer. I'm sure we will learn more as the day goes on.

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Context: Ole Miss players are now free to transfer without sitting out a year due to the recent sanctions that were finally handed down including bowl bans, loss of scholarships, showcauses, and vacated wins.

Who I’d want: Shea Patterson, A.J. Brown, Little, Tre Nixon.

What I was told yesterday was that we are not allowed to contact them

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Also unsure about what restrictions, if any will be placed on players choosing to transfer. I'm sure we will learn more as the day goes on.

See above.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Likely none. We are low on spots & they will still count against a team's yearly 25 limit even if the NCAA lets them be eligible immediately to play. Remember the Penn St fall out some years ago. Those players who transferred had to go to team who still had room under their yearly 25 cap.

What about the Tennessee recruits?  I saw they had a 5* OT decommit, and have a few 4*'s wavering.

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

What about the Tennessee recruits?  I saw they had a 5* OT decommit, and have a few 4*'s wavering.

I would love to see AU get involved w/ Cade Mays but haven't heard anything yet. Clemson & UGA seem to be the teams for him. AU is trying on Jaycee Horn but not sure they are getting anywhere.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I am hearing there is a decent chance that Stidham declares for the NFL after this year. If so, Shea will get his chance next year. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I would love to see AU get involved w/ Cade Mays but haven't heard anything yet. Clemson & UGA seem to be the teams for him. AU is trying on Jaycee Horn but not sure they are getting anywhere.

Yeah, according to this article we don't have a shot at Mays:

Cade Mays was the foundation of Tennessee’s 2018 recruiting class. He was easily the biggest get for former head coach Butch Jones and his staff. Mays had actually been committed to Tennessee since July of 2015.

However, in the midst of all the noise around Jones this season, Mays decided to decommit from Tennessee. The Vols were thought to still be in the running for the five star offensive tackle, but that was squashed tonight.

Mays announced his top three, which didn’t include Tennessee.

Mays clarified, saying that this was a permanent decision to drop Tennessee from consideration. He’ll attend Clemson, Ohio State or Georgia.

This week’s insane coaching search likely didn’t help Tennessee’s chances here.

The Vols still hold commitments from four star talents like QB Adrian Martinez, DT Brant Lawless, DT Greg Emerson, S Trey Dean and DT D’Andre Litaker. Through all of the chaos, Tennessee has held on to the No. 22 spot in 247’s recruiting rankings.

The next few weeks will be interesting to follow as a new coach tries to make impressions before the early signing period opens on December 20th.

34 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Do we know for sure yet on this? It's very likely but not automatic. NCAA still has to approve it as far as I know.

35 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Good question. I think schools are free to contact them after the NCAA authorizes them good to transfer.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

I am hearing there is a decent chance that Stidham declares for the NFL after this year. If so, Shea will get his chance next year. 

I have seen this before, but I just find it hard to believe he would leave when he is barely in top 10 QB in this class.

3 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I am hearing there is a decent chance that Stidham declares for the NFL after this year.

Could end up that way but last I haerd is he's planning to come back. Plus NFL Scouts have size & durabilty concerns as has been discussed before in other threads.

17 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

What I was told yesterday was that we are not allowed to contact them

Your question yesterday did not have a sanctions scenario. I think they can as stated above.

Just now, ellitor said:

Your question yesterday did not have a sanctions scenario. I think they can as stated above.

Yeah, I thought about that after seeing your response above.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Could end up that way but last I haerd is he's planning to come back. Plus NFL Scouts have size & durabilty concerns as has been discussed before in other threads.

That's good to know. I don't have time to read every thread on this site so I never saw the size and durability concern issue discussed before. I would be ecstatic if he came back for one more year. 

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Plus NFL Scouts have size & durabilty concerns as has been discussed before in other threads.

Really? I don't know much about his injury from Baylor, but that is surprising.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Really? I don't know much about his injury from Baylor, but that is surprising.

Thin frame & he missed quite a bit of time his year at Baylor.

Just now, ellitor said:

Thin frame & he missed quite a bit of time his year at Baylor.

Right, but it doesn't appear as though he's had any sort of reoccurring injuries. Again I don't know much about the type of injury (broken bone in ankle). Maybe its an injury that is likely to resurface. He's obviously been very durable this season.

Either way, I agree with you that he likely comes back. He'll have an opportunity to move into the first round after another season.

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Right, but it doesn't appear as though he's had any sort of reoccurring injuries. Again I don't know much about the type of injury (broken bone in ankle). Maybe its an injury that is likely to resurface. He's obviously been very durable this season.

Either way, I agree with you that he likely comes back. He'll have an opportunity to move into the first round after another season.

Thin frame may be the bigger concern. He needs to get some meet on them bones.

Just now, ellitor said:

Thin frame may be the bigger concern. He needs to get some meet on them bones.

Agree with that. Funny thing is he doesn't look that slight. Put him into an NFL game, I think the difference would be noticeable. He needs to get north of 225, I would assume.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I don't think he will go, but I'm surprised about the durability concerns after some of the hits he's taken this year and popped up unfazed. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Shea likely goes elsewhere. TAMU seems probable.

I think we have a real shot at D.K. Metcalf. 

Shea Patterson and Jimbo Fisher are not two guys I want hanging out with each other in our division.  :(

Archived