Stidham - Will he stay or will he go?

JFDTiger80

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

He would be crazy to leave. He would not be a high selection.

He is a very good college QB...one of the better ones in the SEC which might be faint praise if you look around.   But.....IMO he is far from upper level NFL draft prospect......tonight's game should remove any thoughts about the NFL for another year at least. 

19 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Yall not see what he does when blocks are whiffed?

Just want him to get past tucking the ball as his first reaction. I completely agree with the whiff blocks.. trying to attribute to the NFL discussion..

Just now, atl-tiger said:

Just want him to get past tucking the ball as his first reaction. I completely agree with the whiff blocks.. trying to attribute to the NFL discussion..

I see

4 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

He's a frontrunner. He plays great when Auburn has the lead but when the team is losing, he completely falls apart. He can go for all I care.

You've definitely got the right profile pick there Eeyore.

I would not draft Stidham. He is a 1-read guy and is very slow to go through his progressions. If his first guy isn’t open, he tends to panic and either throw it away or put his head down and run into a pile.

The intent isn’t to bash Stidham (Nick Marhsall did the exact same thing). The difference is that at least Marshall had the speed to outrun the d-linemen. Maybe it’s a Gus thing, since it’s a tendency with our QBs.

I think one of the most telling plays today was when Stidham was in a clean pocket and threw the ball away when no one was open. If his initial read isn’t open, he hits the panic button. That won’t fly in the NFL. Quarterbacks like Brady and Roethlisberger know how to let a play develop. As of right now, Stidham does not have the skillset necessary to be a successful NFL quarterback.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I would say KJ and Stidham stay.  Stidham staying would mean a higher draft grade next year and KJ needs to prove he can stay healthy a full year.  He would also earn more money next year now that he is on NFL Scout’s radar

KJ should declare before Gus kills him. I know it’s a game, but I’d say it’s ethically questionable (and at the very least, just plain stupid) what Gus does to his RBs. Tre Mason in 2013, Pettway in 2016, KJ this year. (2014 and 2015 were exceptions. In ‘14 we didn’t have a superstar back, and in ‘15, he would’ve rode Robinson the whole season if he could’ve).

Pettway and Johnson both have great potential, but another year of Gus and they may not have anything left. 

My 2cents on stidham and the possibility of declaring. I read an article I think 24/7 Au that said it wasn't fair to put the game on stidham shoulders.???? Top prospects thrive on carrying the game on their shoulders. Not saying he's better but the Josh Rosen/ a&m game comes to mind. I know he's still learning hence another year might help.

47 minutes ago, WarEagleChemE said:

KJ should declare before Gus kills him. I know it’s a game, but I’d say it’s ethically questionable (and at the very least, just plain stupid) what Gus does to his RBs. Tre Mason in 2013, Pettway in 2016, KJ this year. (2014 and 2015 were exceptions. In ‘14 we didn’t have a superstar back, and in ‘15, he would’ve rode Robinson the whole season if he could’ve).

Pettway and Johnson both have great potential, but another year of Gus and they may not have anything left. 

If you think KJ wasn’t going to go out there if he felt he was capable you’re crazy. Same asTre in 2013, or Pettway in 2016. Those guys are competitors and want to be on the field as much as possible. Gus knows how much they can handle. 

33 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Gus knows how much they can handle. 

Did you just say that out loud...

6 hours ago, WarEagleChemE said:

I would not draft Stidham. He is a 1-read guy and is very slow to go through his progressions. If his first guy isn’t open, he tends to panic and either throw it away or put his head down and run into a pile.

The intent isn’t to bash Stidham (Nick Marhsall did the exact same thing). The difference is that at least Marshall had the speed to outrun the d-linemen. Maybe it’s a Gus thing, since it’s a tendency with our QBs.

I think one of the most telling plays today was when Stidham was in a clean pocket and threw the ball away when no one was open. If his initial read isn’t open, he hits the panic button. That won’t fly in the NFL. Quarterbacks like Brady and Roethlisberger know how to let a play develop. As of right now, Stidham does not have the skillset necessary to be a successful NFL quarterback.

Stidham looked like an NFL QB vs Bama because we established a running game. Tonight we could not and UGA teed him up. Much like what we did to Fromm in the first game when they couldn’t establish a running game. Context is really important in football. Established  NFL QBs don’t look like NFL QBs when there is no running game. 

5 hours ago, Southwest said:

My 2cents on stidham and the possibility of declaring. I read an article I think 24/7 Au that said it wasn't fair to put the game on stidham shoulders.???? Top prospects thrive on carrying the game on their shoulders. Not saying he's better but the Josh Rosen/ a&m game comes to mind. I know he's still learning hence another year might help.

We agree that he needs another year, but for different reasons. He led us to victory  and carried us on his shoulders against 2 top ranked teams the past 3 weeks. Not having a running game tonight hurt the whole team. Fromm looked NFL ready tonight because he had a running game. He looked like a freshman two weeks ago because he didn’t. 

Archived