Stidham - Will he stay or will he go?

JFDTiger80

6 hours ago, WarEagleChemE said:

KJ should declare before Gus kills him. I know it’s a game, but I’d say it’s ethically questionable (and at the very least, just plain stupid) what Gus does to his RBs. Tre Mason in 2013, Pettway in 2016, KJ this year. (2014 and 2015 were exceptions. In ‘14 we didn’t have a superstar back, and in ‘15, he would’ve rode Robinson the whole season if he could’ve).

Pettway and Johnson both have great potential, but another year of Gus and they may not have anything left. 

We agree that KJ was overused down the stretch. But for the season, his carries are in line with past AU running backs like Cadillac, Dyer, Irons, Tate, Barber, and Artis-Payne. KJ had 263 carries in 11 games, which is 24 carries per game. That is also in line with Chubbs career. Derrick Henry had 395 carries in 2015 at Bama and Mason had 303 for us in 2013. Again, down the stretch he needed some help and I would argue he shouldn’t have been on the field last night. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

I still can't figure out why we never ran a dang slant route.

Literally my thought for years now

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

We agree that KJ was overused down the stretch. But for the season, his carries are in line with past AU running backs like Cadillac, Dyer, Irons, Tate, Barber, and Artis-Payne. KJ had 263 carries in 11 games, which is 24 carries per game. That is also in line with Chubbs career. Derrick Henry had 395 carries in 2015 at Bama and Mason had 303 for us in 2013. Again, down the stretch he needed some help and I would argue he shouldn’t have been on the field last night. 

KJ had a history of being injury prone however. I just hope we stock up on big fast LBs and RBs. In fact, lest just get many big fast and mean players. 

I think Stidham stays. 

I think KJ, CDavis, and Holland all go. Just a total hunch, but I think KP goes too. Probably as an UFA.  

Any other underclassmen that may test the waters?

Holland was arguably the best pass rusher in the SEC. He should grade pretty high. 

Davis is a good CB with good size. Those are in high demand. 

KJ is a versatile “NFL type” back. He should grade very well.  And if I were counseling him right now I would tell him that unless Gus can prove he will use multiple RBs, he needs to go to the NFL right now before Gus gets him killed!

Stidham needs another year to develop. I expect him to be near the top of the list for QBs in the 2019 draft!

16 minutes ago, auskull said:

KJ had a history of being injury prone however. I just hope we stock up on big fast LBs and RBs. In fact, lest just get many big fast and mean players. 

The two we have committed are fast thumpers. 

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

If you think KJ wasn’t going to go out there if he felt he was capable you’re crazy. Same asTre in 2013, or Pettway in 2016. Those guys are competitors and want to be on the field as much as possible. Gus knows how much they can handle. 

I disagree. Knowing what they can handle and knowing when their injury makes them a liability are two different things. KJ was a warrior but his desire to play and Gus' inability to trust the younger backs resulted in a critical fumble late. One that really sealed our fate. No reason he should have been in the game. In my opinion he should have not played a down in the second half. I'll go with healthy and inexperienced over seriously injured and experienced any day. Not to mention it's really unfair to KJ and put him at risk for long term injury.

1 minute ago, MIGMAN said:

I disagree. Knowing what they can handle and knowing when their injury makes them a liability are two different things. KJ was a warrior but his desire to play and Gus' inability to trust the younger backs resulted in a critical fumble late. One that really sealed our fate. No reason he should have been in the game. In my opinion he should have not played a down in the second half. I'll go with healthy and inexperienced over seriously injured and experienced any day. Not to mention it's really unfair to KJ and put him at risk for long term injury.

Actually, KJ said that verbatim in the post game yesterday. How he probably should've told the coaches that he could not go and give Kam some reps. Either way, we just got outplayed badly.

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

We agree that he needs another year, but for different reasons. He led us to victory  and carried us on his shoulders against 2 top ranked teams the past 3 weeks. Not having a running game tonight hurt the whole team. Fromm looked NFL ready tonight because he had a running game. He looked like a freshman two weeks ago because he didn’t. 

Fromm is a freshman. Rosen didn't have a running game hate to keep comparing the two but since we are discussing NFL ready he is one of those in that conversation. I guess we agree he needs to stay just different ressons.

14 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Fromm is a freshman. Rosen didn't have a running game hate to keep comparing the two but since we are discussing NFL ready he is one of those in that conversation. I guess we agree he needs to stay just different ressons.

I'm aware Fromm is a freshman. My point is that he looked like a great QB last night compared to how he looked 3 weeks ago. It was the opposite for Stidham. Having a running game does that. And Rosen plays in the pass Happy PAC 12. He's not facing defenses like UGA and Bama. I'm not arguing Stidham being NFL ready. I just disagree that he hasn't put his team on his shoulders. Beating 2 number 1s is impressive. I hope he stays though.  War Eagle. 

Archived