Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

It boggles my mind at how many gumps we have in our fanbase. 

I am starting to understand why so many laugh at our fanbase.

Gus has won two West championships in five years.  "Let's fire his sorry fanny". unfreakinbelievable

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, eainterplay said:

I've lurked here for a few years, but have never posted. I feel I have to because of all this Lane Kiffin non-sense in here. The guy is classless, flakey, and not very loyal to anyone or any program. Plus, he is an abject failure at every major program he has been at. He has done nothing to warrant any more consideration of other coaches who have failed at big schools but have had mild success at podunk ones a la Charlie Strong. Or if everyone is enamored by one year wonders why not pursue Bill Clark at UAB? I'm sorry, but hating Nick Saban is not a sound model for hiring a football coach.

After all we've been through......this is what brought you into the fold? Welcome aboard, lol

20 minutes ago, eainterplay said:

I've lurked here for a few years, but have never posted. I feel I have to because of all this Lane Kiffin non-sense in here. The guy is classless, flakey, and not very loyal to anyone or any program. Plus, he is an abject failure at every major program he has been at. He has done nothing to warrant any more consideration of other coaches who have failed at big schools but have had mild success at podunk ones a la Charlie Strong. Or if everyone is enamored by one year wonders why not pursue Bill Clark at UAB? I'm sorry, but hating Nick Saban is not a sound model for hiring a football coach.

Your first post makes entirely too much sense. You obviously haven’t read the rules.....welcome and WDE!

Ultimately, what Gus needs to look at is this:

1) go back home, make a boatload of money, and hopefully be competitive in a few years

or

2) get a decent raise at Auburn (maybe not matching what Arkansas is offering), continue to build on the strong foundation he has at Auburn, and have a real chance to compete for championships.

4 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

Not trying to doubt you but how do you know this as a fact. 

It was a well known fact in Tuscaloosa.  I mean I didn't see it firsthand, but then again warblogle wasn't the only one tweeting about it either. If you know what I mean. 

2 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I wonder now if Gus wishes that he would have squashed these rumors weeks ago instead of letting this be a distraction to his team? 

Nope.

1 minute ago, 1856 said:

It was a well known fact in Tuscaloosa.  I mean I didn't see it firsthand, but then again warblogle wasn't the only one tweeting about it either. If you know what I mean. 

warblogle as a source ... lol

lol what? we played someone for a half with a concussion? okkkkkkkkkk.

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

never forget he still wanted us to keep chizik when he went 3-9 and got skull drug by every  sec team down the stretch.

9 minutes ago, WarEagle10 said:

It boggles my mind at how many gumps we have in our fanbase. 

I am starting to understand why so many laugh at our fanbase.

Gus has won two West championships in five years.  "Let's fire his sorry fanny". unfreakinbelievable

Well, the discussion has not been so much 'fire his sorry ass' as is he worth, from an Auburn point of view, what he wants in way of new compensation/extension?

Just now, SumterAubie said:

Well, the discussion has not been so much 'fire his sorry ass' as is he worth, from an Auburn point of view, what he wants in way of new compensation/extension?

O.K., then let me state again.........Gus has won two West Division titles in five years.......with that juggernaut going on the other side of the State. If we don't pay him, somebody else will. Then where do we turn?

15 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Perino or Kiffin  I know it sucks but thats all that's there except Summilin

Perino is a funny guy. Petrino is an ass. ;) 

1 minute ago, WarEagle10 said:

O.K., then let me state again.........Gus has won two West Division titles in five years.......with that juggernaut going on the other side of the State. If we don't pay him, somebody else will. Then where do we turn?

And that is the nut. Some of the PTB may not be willing to ante up that can of $ for him. But on the other hand it does not matter whom Auburn hires, should Malzahn leave, 10/11/12 win seasons will be the exception, not the rule.

i'm still reeling from the loss. finally through w/ all the congratulatory phone calls to/from uga fans i've been trash talking w/ this week. there was one recurring theme that stood out i had to give them kudos for: "what a well coached team and game they played from top to bottom"! Then after sitting back and reflecting it made me think when was the last time i could say that about a gus mahlzan coached team? when was the last time we played a game where there wasn't some kind of rediculous crap that occurred whether field goal blocked,, punt run back 100 yds; stupid turnover, etc.? The answer,,,,,, NEVER! (maybe the oregon nat'l champ game but gusterd wasn't hc then). I seriously can't ever recall not one single game where a gus team has not been plagued by some stupid, almost inexcusable crap! It's been the rule,,, not the exception! it may have possibly been a bit less these past few weeks but the weaknesses of his coaching ineptitude revealed themself again today.  blocked field goal was inexcusable and turned the momentum and could be the catalyst that led to us losing this game? i could go on about kerrion's injury which led to the fumble which was like deja vu w/ sean white an the uga debacle last year,,, it's almost ironic *!%%!!! 

Another thing that totally stands out: Gus mahlzan as well as perhaps coach steele were too busy working on there extortion schemes on how to defraud auburn out of more money,,, than doing their darn jobs and getting this team ready to play! we were thoroughly outplayed coached and out-classed! Don't pay him one cent more if he wants to go! Auburn is not UT,, or other,,, we'll be fine. btw... if he goes,,,, we could beat then w/out a coach! there's no way he beats us next year! arkansas is a dumpster fire that will take a few years to get back close. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagle10 said:

Gus is being paid plenty of money for what he has produced over past seasons. There is no way we need to give him more money at this time because of one season. If he wants more then earn it over the next couple of seasons. We have a tendency to just throw money at these coaches then just wind up buying them out. Enough of this and let him earn the extension. As far as the assistant coaches some of them have earned their money and possibly a raise but some owe us some of their salary back. If he wants to go to Arkansas then okay he will not win like he would here but that is his decision. If he does leave I believe we can find a quality head coach.  

3 minutes ago, div3 said:

i'm still reeling from the loss. finally through w/ all the congratulatory phone calls to/from uga fans i've been trash talking w/ this week. there was one recurring theme that stood out i had to give them kudos for: "what a well coached team and game they played from top to bottom"! Then after sitting back and reflecting it made me think when was the last time i could say that about a gus mahlzan coached team? when was the last time we played a game where there wasn't some kind of rediculous crap that occurred whether field goal blocked,, punt run back 100 yds; stupid turnover, etc.? The answer,,,,,, NEVER! (maybe the oregon nat'l champ game but gusterd wasn't hc then). I seriously can't ever recall not one single game where a gus team has not been plagued by some stupid, almost inexcusable crap! It's been the rule,,, not the exception! it may have possibly been a bit less these past few weeks but the weaknesses of his coaching ineptitude revealed themself again today.  blocked field goal was inexcusable and turned the momentum and could be the catalyst that led to us losing this game? i could go on about kerrion's injury which led to the fumble which was like deja vu w/ sean white an the uga debacle last year,,, it's almost ironic *!%%!!! 

Another thing that totally stands out: Gus mahlzan as well as perhaps coach steele were too busy working on there extortion schemes on how to defraud auburn out of more money,,, than doing their darn jobs and getting this team ready to play! we were thoroughly outplayed coached and out-classed! Don't pay him one cent more if he wants to go! Auburn is not UT,, or other,,, we'll be fine. btw... if he goes,,,, we could beat then w/out a coach! there's no way he beats us next year! arkansas is a dumpster fire that will take a few years to get back close. 

My head hurts now.  Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, div3 said:

Right. Shame on Malzahn for allowing the uga lineman to put his paw up and block that field goal attempt.

I find it amusing how it is always Malzahn's fault, regardless of the situation. As if the opposing team had nothing to do with how Auburn played.

Nice 21st post, by the way.

18 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Haha trying to find two extremes... that guy will make you not want to be an AU fan. And the worst is when you agree with him and you're like "damn, am I really that big of a homer?"

Gus was badly out maneuvered by a rookie head coach in the biggest game of the season on the biggest stage. Malzahn's last big road win against a power five conference team was Missouri in the SEC championship game. 0-3 against power 5 conference teams in bowl games. And the next year Gus will have a shot at playoff contention is 2019 because they have Georgia and Alabama on the road in 2018. "Big game" Gus only gets his big wins at home. Yeah, it's time for a change.

4 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Gus was badly out maneuvered by a rookie head coach in the biggest game of the season on the biggest stage. Malzahn's last big road win against a power five conference team was Missouri in the SEC championship game. 0-3 against power 5 conference teams in bowl games. And the next year Gus will have a shot at playoff contention is 2019 because they have Georgia and Alabama on the road in 2018. "Big game" Gus only gets his big wins at home. Yeah, it's time for a change.

IMO, Malzahn was not 'outmaneuvered' by a rookie head coach. His team was emotionally spent after drubbing 2 number 1 teams over the last 3 weeks. Not to mention Auburn's starters at rb, lb, and cb were injured. AND there is quite a bit of talent on that uga team. They have won 12 games this year for a reason.

But feel free to ignore the underlying issues of Auburn's predicament today.

Archived