Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

3 minutes ago, 1856 said:

Bama still most definitely has a chance to weasel themselves in like they always do. 

SEC Champs get a spot, and they won the SEC for the first 3 years of the playoffs. How is that weaseling their way in?

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

This convo is fun and all, but does anyone actually think Gus will leave the talent he has accumulated at Auburn for Arky? I realize he can’t make a halftime adjustment To save his life, but it would take some sort of stupid to leave what he has built. This is all a ploy to get more $ from Auburn, and it will work. 

Unfortunately, it will work. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

SEC Champs get a spot, and they won the SEC for the first 3 years of the playoffs. How is that weaseling their way in?

2015 Ole piss vs Arky.  Had game gone other way, ole piss would've won the west. They just get a lot of breaks. 

Gus gets a bonus for winning the SEC. That's fine, he deserves it for a great season. Other than that, cover his tab at the Waffle House every time he wins a big game. Let him get his hashbrowns all the way if he wants to. Outside of that, he really has not excelled to the point that we should be in a bidding war over his services. He doesn't exactly strike fear into the heart of our opponents.

7 minutes ago, 1856 said:

Should pay him whatever he wants for beating his two rivals 1/4 years?!?

Yes. 4 out of 5 years ranked in the top 10 in November. Addressed the issue on D after '14. Fought through a rough year in '15 and kept the team together. Brought balance to a stagnant run heavy O after '16. Came back after an embarrassing game in BR to beat 2 #1s in 3 weeks. I think he's earned it.

55 minutes ago, keesler said:

I agree, but Auburn will not be able to sit as is with Gus.  Gus apparently told AU what he wanted and submitted his package before this game today.  Now The cards are in Arkys hands, Auburn is in no position to check, they must raise or fold.

Personally I would fold, we will pay 7.5 million to the right guy

2 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Yes. 4 out of 5 years ranked in the top 10 in November. Addressed the issue on D after '14. Fought through a rough year in '15 and kept the team together. Brought balance to a stagnant run heavy O after '16. Came back after an embarrassing game in BR to beat 2 #1s in 3 weeks. I think he's earned it.

Did a lot of good that might not have happened had he not been here. JMO

17 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Gus gets a bonus for winning the SEC. That's fine, he deserves it for a great season. Other than that, cover his tab at the Waffle House every time he wins a big game. Let him get his hashbrowns all the way if he wants to. Outside of that, he really has not excelled to the point that we should be in a bidding war over his services. He doesn't exactly strike fear into the heart of our opponents.

He did not win the SEC....lost it tonight

he does strike a bit fear Dan

My bet is that Gus is not the our coach by sunrise Monday morning.  

1 hour ago, keesler said:

He will already get a nice as bonus for getting the team to ATL.  That’s built into his existing contract.  Why does Auburn owe him any more?  Why does he deserve anymore?  He fielded a strong, competitive team ......... that’s what he gets paid to freaking do.

I think that, all things considered, we pay him what the market dictates. If he left, that’s what we’d have to do to get any decent coach anyways. If we are already there with his current contract then great, no changes. Otherwise, bump him up and let’s move on. Lots of good stuff going on with returning players and recruiting. I’ve said earlier that he is not in the Saban, Jimbo, Urban level of pay, but he is probably deserving of more than we pay. Just my opinion, don’t shoot the messenger. :)

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I would bet we are about to.................

Perhaps. If Arkansas wants to pay him a Sam Waltonesque salary, then I can't blame him for taking them up on it. 

the people have spoken and want the lane train in Auburn. Auburn would NEVER hire a personality like Lane but man that would be fun.

Just now, SumterAubie said:

Perhaps. If Arkansas wants to pay him a Sam Waltonesque salary, then I can't blame him for taking them up on it. 

brother walmart has little to do with it Sumpter

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

the people have spoken and want the lane train in Auburn. Auburn would NEVER hire a personality like Lane but man that would be fun.

Honestly....out of that list and as much as people don't like him, BP would be the biggest threat to the SEC IMO.  Or Kiffin

We would absolutely have to keep our defensive staff in place though ?

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

brother walmart has little to do with it Sumpter

I did not say he did. It was a reference to the amount of money Arkansas might pay him

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

He did not win the SEC....lost it tonight

he does strike a bit fear Dan

My bet is that Gus is not the our coach by sunrise Monday morning.  

agree

Just now, SumterAubie said:

I would puke if Auburn hired that immature kid as head coach.

no one is more motivated to go against saban. Iron Bowls would be fun. press conferences would be fun. QB development would be on another level. But yah do not worry Auburn would never hire a guy that risque. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This list is exactly why I laugh at others who call for Gus’s head.

Lane train rhymes with pain train, do not want.

Archived