Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dan-0 said:

So who would be your choice to replace Gus if he leaves for Arky?

I don’t want him to leave, just fill in the depth chart. If we had healthy SEC type RB’s then I think it would be a much different ballgame.

49 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Yes. 4 out of 5 years ranked in the top 10 in November. Addressed the issue on D after '14. Fought through a rough year in '15 and kept the team together. Brought balance to a stagnant run heavy O after '16. Came back after an embarrassing game in BR to beat 2 #1s in 3 weeks. I think he's earned it.

We should work it out so that he wants to stay regardless of what Sexton has dreamed up.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t want him to leave, just fill in the depth chart. If we had healthy SEC type RB’s then I think it would be a much different ballgame.

I don't want him to leave either but I don't want to get into a bidding war with Arky over him. It's not about tonight's game at all. If you were AD, you would have to have a Plan B in case he bolts. You would have to have a short list of candidates in case you have to call Malzahn's bluff in the negotiations. Who would be on your short list?

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If Gus gave us a match this or I go offer, then go.

Depends what it is.  

If it's outrageous, we accept and he doesn't perform, it'll be poisonous long-term, for sure.

Just now, FoundationEagle said:

Most are discussing that it's not worth a bidding war to keep him, not just simply getting rid of him. Huge difference. 

My hope is Auburn and the PTB doesn't screw this up. 

23 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Why hasnt another program scooped him up? He seemed way too willling to coach horrible Tennessee.

lol because he is LOCO crazy and a odd fella. I hate it. I want to see how he would do at a big program.

20 minutes ago, 1856 said:

You want one of our football coaches that is married to be notorious for sleeping with coeds under an alias? 

he is not married anymore. fair game.

Just now, Dan-0 said:

If you were AD, you would have to have a Plan B in case he bolts.

Zero. I wouldn’t let him walk away without a fair offer given the baggage available on the market.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Didn't you read all of the "no excuse for losing" comments?   :)    injuries or whatever don't count. .....well unless you are bama last week and UGa a couple weeks ago which had all kinds of excuses for losing to AU.  

This little box is not large enough to list all of the stuff I read on their posts and places like al.com as to why AU beat them...but rarely did I see it mentioned that our team played better those two games. 

As for today....I'm ok with just accepting that we ran in to a team that played a better game ....and leave it at that.  JMO. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

he is not married anymore. fair game.

He was at the time that he was doing it. 

20 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

That some are even talking about,  some desiring, replacing a 10 win SEC coach is laughable. Pop Warner rules!  

there is talk because arky is going to throw a kings ransom at him. What is laughable is a 10 game win coach leaving for arkansas. If he wants to go do that have fun being at a place where 7-5 seasons are the ceiling. No one has said anything about firing him. It will be his choice if our job comes open.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Zero. I wouldn’t let him walk away without a fair offer given the baggage available on the market.

say arky offers him 7 mill a year. what then?

15 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

That some are even talking about,  some desiring, replacing a 10 win SEC coach is laughable. Pop Warner rules!  

Very few of our normal, regular posters are desiring to get rid of Gus.  It’s these same old drama queens that come in here and troll the hell out of this board after every loss that are calling for his head.  Don’t worry, they’ll be MIA soon and we won’t see them.

What most of the regulars don’t want to see is AU getting forced into a bidding war with Arkansas.  Jimmy Sexton has been steering this thing for weeks and Gus apparently presented AU with a contract extension and a raise for his continued services “before” the SECCG. Smart move by Sexton/Malzhan to strike while the iron was hot.  I guess we’ll see soon if AU gave him what he wanted.

I have been mulling over what I wanted to say after tonight. I really honestly thought this team would reach deep within and find a way to win. Didn't happen. I still think we have a special team and one capable of beating any team in the country when........healthy. 

We did some amazing things after the Lsu game and the players and coaches deserve mega kudos for this. I keep seeing at the bottom of my TV screen that Arkansas is focusing their coaching search on Gus our coach. This is very real and something we could wake up in the morning with him gone.

I hope he stays more than anyone on this site. However, if his heart is set on going to Arkansas then he goes for what likely will be 6 plus million per year. I think we will try to counter within reason, but if his heart is set on going, then he goes and I wish him well and will thank him for a wonderful season minus a few games. All in all, he coached well for 2017 as did his staff.  I know Cole Cubelic seems to think he goes to Arkansas. Cole is an Auburn guy and knows the landscape very well.

All of this lack of good coaches out there is nonsense folks. I think we can hire any of these coaches of we lose Gus to Arkansas. These are darn good coaches who have done an excellent job the past years they have been HCs. I believe in going after a young coach who is creative and can get the most out of his players. Any of these coaches could come to Auburn and keep to ball rolling and in a few seasons have us competing for championships. Here they are guys and gals:

1. Jeff Brohm:  36-16 (30-10 at WKU & 6-6 Purdue) played in the NFL offensive minded young coach who relates well with his players. Purdue has been pathetic till this season. One year and he has turned that program around. Turned UT down and who could blame him. Offer him 4.5 million per year for 5 years would be a huge raise for him. He could come in with out talent on hand and keep this ball rolling.

2. Lane Kiffin: Lane could come in and make us an even better offensive team than we already are. I think Lane wants a job in the SEC and would come here for 4 to 5 million over a 5-7 year contract, Lane is currently 45-24 over 5 seasons. He is at a point in his career where he wants stability and would find this at Auburn

3. Matt Campbell: Interesting coach who is currently 45-29 and finished the best season Iowa State in decades. I keep hearing he has a 9 million buyout and this is something that can be overcome if we want him.

4. Mike Norvell: Memphis HC who just finished year 2 and sits on an 18-7 record of which is phenomenal for Memphis. He actually has done a better job there since Justin Fuentes left for VA Tech. I am shocked that no one has taken him yet.  I honestly thought that Arkansas would have taken him by now and has had the chance to do so. If we keep Gus, look for him to wind up in Porkeville!

5. Jason Candle: Toledo HC. He took over when Matt Campbell left of ISU and has done a super job with a record of 21-6 in 2 seasons. His team won the MAC title today. A young 38 year old coach who is one of the brightest offensive minded coaches in college football.

Some other coaches we could go after as well:

Justin Fuentes

Gary Patterson

Chad Morris

Brent Venables

Jeremy Pruitt

Dave Aranda

Neal Brown

(Chip Lindsey....he likely goes where Gus goes so I am taking him off of the list) There are good coordinators like Pruitt, Venables and Aranda)

There are good coaches out there to hire that can come in and keep the ball rolling that Gus has started if Gus parts ways for Arkansas. Once again, I want Gus to stay and feels he deserves some type of contract that will keep him here for a long time.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

there is talk because arky is going to throw a kings ransom at him. What is laughable is a 10 game win coach leaving for arkansas. If he wants to go do that have fun being at a place where 7-5 seasons are the ceiling. No one has said anything about firing him. It will be his choice if our job comes open.

Bobby Petrino and Houston Nutt (f you can believe that) say hello....:)

So our PTB screw it up or they don't.  My hope is they don't.

25 minutes ago, au701948 said:

We should work it out so that he wants to stay regardless of what Sexton has dreamed up.

I'll put it this way. In my opinion he's earned the right for a nice raise at AU but if his intentions are to pimp AU he can find the door. I know money talks but there should be more to the job than that, at least here.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

say arky offers him 7 mill a year. what then?

7 million is too much. If Gus’s camp is asking that, then their disingenuous attempts of remaining in Auburn will be sniffed out. At that point, I’d go after Venables, Chad Morris,  Leach, or Letrino. They’re not the best, but the best possibly available.

Just now, AU64 said:

Bobby Petrino and Houston Nutt (f you can believe that) say hello....:)

uhhhhhh hello back?  IDK what you want me to say here. so you DO want bobby petrino then! People act like he is some mediocre coach. Nutt had 1 ten win season in his 10 seasons there. they are a 7-5 program for the most part. You ALWAYS fight me on arkansas. what is your angle here?! lol did you used to be a arkansas fan? Do you want him to take the job? what is your angle here?! haha.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

7 million is too much. If Gus’s camp is asking that, then their disingenuous attempts of remaining in Auburn will be sniffed out. At that point, I’d go after Venables, Chad Morris,  Leach, or Letrino. They’re not the best, but the best possibly available.

dan mullen got 6 for florida. I assume sexton will ask for more than that for gus to stay at auburn. really it depends on what arkansas does. I have a feeling they will throw a crazy number at him. Not jimbo money but more than we would be comfortable matching.

uhhhhhh hello back?  IDK what you want me to say here. so you DO want bobby petrino then! People act like he is some mediocre coach. Nutt had 1 ten win season in his 10 seasons there. they are a 7-5 program for the most part. You ALWAYS fight me on arkansas. what is your angle here?! lol did you used to be a arkansas fan? Do you want him to take the job? what is your angle here?! haha.

Mark my words, if Gustavus goes to Arkansas, he will beat AU his first season. That's just how AU football goes. 

1 minute ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I'll put it this way. In my opinion he's earned the right for nice raise at AU but if his intentions are to pimp AU he can find the door. I know money talks but there should be more to the job than that, at least here.

Just curious, do you think Gus was over paid for 2014, 2015, 2016 seasons?

I personally believe he earned his pay this year and after he gets compensated for a 10 win season + making the SECCG, then that’s all he deserves.

I hate like hell that he presented AU with a compensation “package” wanting a raise and an extension before the game today.  It was tacky IMO and was meant to put AU in a difficult position and force them into this Arky bidding war.

Archived