Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

9 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

IMO, Malzahn was not 'outmaneuvered' by a rookie head coach. His team was emotionally spent after drubbing 2 number 1 teams over the last 3 weeks. Not to mention Auburn's starters at rb, lb, and cb were injured. AND there is quite a bit of talent on that uga team. They have won 12 games this year for a reason.

But feel free to ignore the underlying issues of Auburn's predicament today.

emotionally spent,

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

someone just sourced the jackass warblogle, all hell as broken loose

Sorry guys (ducks)

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

I've never seen a program and fanbase more cocky without doing anything. They want to be SEC so badly....

Exactly. For some reason, A&M thinks they're a powerhouse football program. 

Gus was outcoached, period.  Don’t buy into this emotional spent nonsense.  It’s the SEC championship game.  If you can’t get up for that you don’t need to be on the field.  UGA and Kirby wanted it a lot more and you could tell.  Gus could have easily squashed Arkansas but he didn’t.  Players still don’t even know if he’s staying, say what you will but that continues to be a distraction.  I’ve seen the Jekyll and Hyde persona of Gus.  Sometimes he looks like a genius and other times he looks like the worst coach I’ve ever seen.  He needs to go to Arkansas.  Auburn can and will do better than this.  

1 hour ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Gus was outcoached, period.  Don’t buy into this emotional spent nonsense.  It’s the SEC championship game.  If you can’t get up for that you don’t need to be on the field.  UGA and Kirby wanted it a lot more and you could tell.  Gus could have easily squashed Arkansas but he didn’t.  Players still don’t even know if he’s staying, say what you will but that continues to be a distraction.  I’ve seen the Jekyll and Hyde persona of Gus.  Sometimes he looks like a genius and other times he looks like the worst coach I’ve ever seen.  He needs to go to Arkansas.  Auburn can and will do better than this.  

Spoken like a true Bammer.  

The fact that Gus keeps saying he " wants to be the coach"  at Auburn speaks volumes. He already IS the Auburn coach with a current CONTRACT to coach Auburn. To me this signifies he is demanding more money/new contract and he wants to see if Auburn will pony up. 

30 minutes ago, fishepa said:

The fact that Gus keeps saying he " wants to be the coach"  at Auburn speaks volumes. He already IS the Auburn coach with a current CONTRACT to coach Auburn. To me this signifies he is demanding more money/new contract and he wants to see if Auburn will pony up. 

^^^^This. Yes he won the west, (I believe his current contract rewards him for that) yes he beat UGA and Bama but he needs to prove that he can be competitive year in and year out throughout the league and STOP having the Clemson and LSU type games. IMO, he hasn't earned a big contract extension. Work through the contract you have now and when it's up we will see what you have done..and if the product he puts on the field is worthy of big money, I have no problem opening up the bank.  

Now that I’ve had a chance to sleep and get a little anger out of my mind, I will try to help some understand my thought. It is true that 10-3, SEC west champ and beating uat and uga are all good accomplishments if they were not followed by the rest. That is if this is our pinnacle winning a couple of big games and making the SECCG game every four or five years? Are we going to be ok if we fail to finish three games but win a couple of games we were not expected to win ? Are we ok with a coach that can win if everything goes right and all his players are well. All teams lose now and then but it’s how you lose. When you play the final two or three quarters getting beat and make no adjustments to try and change the outcome, then I have a problem with that. All three of the games we lost we had a chance to win. We led every one of them early on. Part of a coaches job is to make those changes. That is the part that I hold Gus responsible. I really had hoped that Gus would grow as a coach. But in truth he has not. This is the same guy that in 2013 when everything went right for him he made it to the finals. So the question is are we ok being on step above MSU and Arky and making the dance once every four or five years ? If so then Gus is definitely our man. On the other hand, if we want to be in the power teams like Clemson, uat and OSU then we have to risk some change. The real question is where it is that AU really wants to be. 

This whole thread makes me sick. One week he is great the next let him go. Let me tell you the coach some of you want does not exist. This team has played so hard the past four weeks  to get to this point that its incredible. Do any of you Monday morning QB's know how hard it is to get a team up 3 times in 4 weeks? Especially with  all of the emotion they have spent. Then tack on their best Off. player is hurt. Auburn was not out coached, at this point they were just a spent team. Against a team like Ga. you can't afford the turnovers we had and blocked kicks that could have turned the momentum of the game.  By the way Gus didn't fumble and he didn't get his kicked blocked. That's not coaching it's just something that happened. You guys make me sick!!! All I can say is you better hope we get to keep him because from the way it looks around the league right now if Gus leaves we might end up with Doug Barfield. If your to young to know who he is believe me you don't want that again. I know we are all upset over the lose but the stuff I'm reading on here is crazy.  Stop it now!!!

Here’s an idea, let’s get behind our Coach who actually got us to the SEC Championship game and stop calling for his head everytime we lose a game. He and Nick Saban are the only two coaches from the West since 2012 to make it the game every year. Literally just those two. Time to stop showing our behinds every time adversity hits our football team. 

We don't deserve success because we can't handle it. Last night wasn't a coaching failure. We got outplayed on the field. Injuries and fatigue set in and we lost control of the game....but it wasn't a coaching failure. 

Auburn fans define that very word.....fanatic. Whether Gus stays or leaves won't change that. The Saban Effect is real. 

56 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Of course he is.  He is playing Arky to negotiate a big raise with AU.

Some people in this tread have got ridicules. I do not think yesterday is anything against Gus. The team fought hard. A beat up AU team gave everything it had and that says a lot about Gus as a coach to me. Take away the first fumble and the blocked field goal and we may be praising Gus right now. He has put together a team that is one of the best in the country and it would have been amazing to see what they could have done without a few key injuries this year. This year, few other coach’s can say they have built a team as good as AU. Depth has improved over the last few years and I believe Gus is improving every year. 

Like someone had mentioned in another thread, the direction and chatter surrounding Arkansas's coaching search has changed.....now they are saying that Gus was never going to be offered, the BOT wouldn't approve it.  

I honestly don't think Gus was ever going to go to Arkansas unless he was fired by Auburn and needed a soft landing spot.  Sexton has been using this since the UGA game and then the Iron Bowl for leverage for a raise/facility upgrades.  

Mitch Mustain had an interesting tweet re: Gus and Arkansas.  Apparently there is no love lost there.  I won't link because it has some vulgarities, but it basically said he hopes Arkansas never wins another game and he would never want Gus to go there.  

12 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Don't have that answer honestly. But I believe getting into a bidding war for a guy that is 4-7 against his rivals with several blowout losses and 2 of the wins on miracle plays is detrimental mental to the long term health of the program. If he gets 6-7 mil a year in a new contract and tanks like he has the previous 3 years then the damage will be much greater than just a few mil. He's just not worth that risk IMO.  AU is much bigger than Gus MALzahn. 

Let one of the coordinators have Gus's job. I guarantee we'll be in a better position long term than we are at present. I believe Gus called some of the offense last night and the game totally reminded me of the LSU fiasco. This year is not the time to hire a new coach, but we can replace the one we have with Steele, Gardner or Lindsey. Let Gus go to Arky and we'll beat them into submission every year.

33 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Now that I’ve had a chance to sleep and get a little anger out of my mind, I will try to help some understand my thought. It is true that 10-3, SEC west champ and beating uat and uga are all good accomplishments if they were not followed by the rest. That is if this is our pinnacle winning a couple of big games and making the SECCG game every four or five years? Are we going to be ok if we fail to finish three games but win a couple of games we were not expected to win ? Are we ok with a coach that can win if everything goes right and all his players are well. All teams lose now and then but it’s how you lose. When you play the final two or three quarters getting beat and make no adjustments to try and change the outcome, then I have a problem with that. All three of the games we lost we had a chance to win. We led every one of them early on. Part of a coaches job is to make those changes. That is the part that I hold Gus responsible. I really had hoped that Gus would grow as a coach. But in truth he has not. This is the same guy that in 2013 when everything went right for him he made it to the finals. So the question is are we ok being on step above MSU and Arky and making the dance once every four or five years ? If so then Gus is definitely our man. On the other hand, if we want to be in the power teams like Clemson, uat and OSU then we have to risk some change. The real question is where it is that AU really wants to be. 

I don't think we want to be in the position to hire a coordinator so he can learn on the job to be a HC.

24 minutes ago, ikubak said:

Of course he is.  He is playing Arky to negotiate a big raise with AU.

Is that not something a coach or his agent should do? Come on folks this is the business of college football. I would think lowly if a coach or agent who doesn't play the business game. I know I do in my current working position.

I promise you the university knows and is playing the business game to their advantage.

It's not good or bad, it is what it is.

Like him? Hate him? Who cares...

Is he a good coach or a bad coach? Who cares...

If during the most critical time of year he can't coach up and motivate his team for a CHAMPIONSHIP game because he's too busy playing financial chicken with the AU administration, then what the heck good is he?

He takes AU to the seccg again next year do we have to go through all this crap again to only watch our beloved Tigers crap the bed yet again?  Keep in mind, as so many eloquently stated this past week, he is already under contract now. ....so what prevents this next year?  

FINISH THE DANG JOB GUS!

17 minutes ago, Bottomfeeder said:

Let one of the coordinators have Gus's job. I guarantee we'll be in a better position long term than we are at present. I believe Gus called some of the offense last night and the game totally reminded me of the LSU fiasco. This year is not the time to hire a new coach, but we can replace the one we have with Steele, Gardner or Lindsey. Let Gus go to Arky and we'll beat them into submission every year.

Troll 

10 minutes ago, creed said:

Is that not something a coach or his agent should do? Come on folks this is the business of college football. I would think lowly if a coach or agent who doesn't play the business game. I know I do in my current working position.

I promise you the university knows and is playing the business game to their advantage.

It's not good or bad, it is what it is.

It is when you make all about the money and less about the kids ALAS Jimbo Fisher. Part of the reason he had to go. His team was already talking about transferring if he returned because they were sick of the disloyalty.

Outside of beating Memphis, Gus has NEVER won a bowl game at Auburn.  For me, that is unacceptable, as our history as a program is success in the post season.

We are already paying Gus nearly $5m.  Should we not expect for that amount to be competing regularly for the conference, and beating our rivals on a least a regular basis?  I understand Bama and Saban, but the losses to UGA in Gus's tenure have been unacceptable.  Never beating TAMU in Jordan Hare??  Can't win in Death Valley to a very overrated LSU team?  Teams like JSU taking us down to the wire?  Come on.

The team last night was unprepared for that game and it was glaring.  They should have known UGA would give that game everything they had and they needed to prepare to hit back.   THAT is on Gus.  

So for me its not about keeping Gus and having to pay more than he is worth because some think he has us bent over the barrel with the Arkansas talk.  If they are willing to overpay for him, Auburn needs to let him go IMO.  I don't think we should because for me we already are with the product we are getting on the field in some of these games.  

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Like him? Hate him? Who cares...

Is he a good coach or a bad coach? Who cares...

If during the most critical time of year he can't coach up and motivate his team for a CHAMPIONSHIP game because he's too busy playing financial chicken with the AU administration, then what the heck good is he?

He takes AU to the seccg again next year do we have to go through all this crap again to only watch our beloved Tigers crap the bed yet again?  Keep in mind, as so many eloquently stated this past week, he is already under contract now. ....so what prevents this next year?  

FINISH THE DANG JOB GUS!

You have any evidence of this?    Never seen him quoted except to say he wants to stay at AU.   And of course, coaches don't negotiate their own deals anyway.  Bet Gus has never talked contract or money directly with AU.  

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is when you make all about the money and less about the kids ALAS Jimbo Fisher. Part of the reason he had to go. His team was already talking about transferring if he returned because they were sick of the disloyalty.

The fans and the media are the ones stating it's all about the money. Gus... "I am and want to be the coach at Auburn".

3 minutes ago, creed said:

The fans and the media are the ones stating it's all about the money. Gus... "I am and want to be the coach at Auburn".

Want? He is the coach at AU. That is all that needs to be said. Unless he is wanting something else. Let's not act oblivious to the obvious. Clearly, he wants an extension. That is how I took the statement. And if that is the case. Both parties need to lock themselves in a room and get it done.

48 minutes ago, bg5 said:

This whole thread makes me sick. One week he is great the next let him go. Let me tell you the coach some of you want does not exist. This team has played so hard the past four weeks  to get to this point that its incredible. Do any of you Monday morning QB's know how hard it is to get a team up 3 times in 4 weeks? Especially with  all of the emotion they have spent. Then tack on their best Off. player is hurt. Auburn was not out coached, at this point they were just a spent team. Against a team like Ga. you can't afford the turnovers we had and blocked kicks that could have turned the momentum of the game.  By the way Gus didn't fumble and he didn't get his kicked blocked. That's not coaching it's just something that happened. You guys make me sick!!! All I can say is you better hope we get to keep him because from the way it looks around the league right now if Gus leaves we might end up with Doug Barfield. If your to young to know who he is believe me you don't want that again. I know we are all upset over the lose but the stuff I'm reading on here is crazy.  Stop it now!!!

Amen! wde

Archived