Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

Auburn does not need to get hosed in this deal. I do think our best option is to keep him as HC at this point and time but we shouldn't be paying through the nose for it. 

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This staff collectively is excellent and blather that somehow keeping Malzahn & this staff together a while longer is not worth $7 mill a year or so in today's market, is simply losing all objectivity by despising Gus.

7 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Auburn does not need to get hosed in this deal. I do think our best option is to keep him as HC at this point and time but we shouldn't be paying through the nose for it. 

That would be the objective I'm sure.....but market drives the salaries and schools can  draw a line in the sand wherever they wish as far as the salary they are willing to pay.......and then get the best they can for the money.     Can't see many schools building Taj Mahal football facilities and trying to skimp on the HC's salary though. 

JMO but there are no bargains out there.....well, none that are clearly evident .....so schools hire Derek Dooley or Butch Jones or whoever....and take their chances.     Look at what Nebraska is paying for a guy with one good year of coaching at the Group of Five level.  The world we live in. 

10 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

This staff collectively is excellent and blather that somehow keeping Malzahn & this staff together a while longer is not worth $7 mill a year or so in today's market, is simply losing all objectivity by despising Gus.

It's always easy to spend others people money

2 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

What is the pay of coaches who have been to the natty the past 5 years?

NS is getting 11

Dabo is getting 8 

Jimbo is getting 7.5

Urban is getting 6.5

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

It's always easy to spend others people money

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

NS is getting 11

Dabo is getting 8 

Jimbo is getting 7.5

Urban is getting 6.5

Nick Has a Ring.  So does Dabo, Jimbo, and Urban...

Now:  What has Gus done to warrant being on par with them?

And he's begging to stay.  You don't go on record with his comments yesterday if you have the high ground...

2 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Nick Has a Ring.  So does Dabo, Jimbo, and Urban...

Now:  What has Gus done to warrant being on par with them?

And he's begging to stay.  You don't go on record with his comments yesterday if you have the high ground...

I don't know. I was just responding to the question asked above. I probably would go 6 million if I was at the table. You have to think, we will have to also extend our assistant coaches as well. I don't know If I would touch the reported 7.1 

Thank God, I don't make these decisions though.

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I think if he stayed and took a bit less $ “to finish what he started at Auburn” , it would send a positive message to the team and fan base.

I am ready for football season to be over, i am sick of it. Malzahn needs to be an after thought now

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I am ready for football season to be over, i am sick of it. Malzahn needs to be an after thought now

Basketball team has a game today?

6 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Basketball team has a game today?

#TeamBruce

Arkansas must be out of their mind. I love Gus, but Gus has proven at Auburn he must have at least equal to the top SEC programs or superior talent at the QB position and O-line for his scheme to work. He will not be able to recruit that kind of talent at Arkansas to contend for anything. Sure he will get to consistently win 6 or 7 games a year with maybe a 8 or 9 win season every 5 years, but if you are paying him $7 million a year you expect a lot more than that.

I guess they did not learn their lesson with Bielma who was not able to convince major OL talent to come to Arkansas, so his system failed.

Honestly, I'd offer him a one year extension at $5.5 a year and say take it or leave it.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Nope I recognize it's a business.....and coaches look out for their own best interests....at least the smart ones don't fall in love with their employer ....because the employer sure does not fall in love with them and contract or not, they will dump a coach  pretty quickly when the PTB pressures are ramped up.  .As for threats to be fired....who knows.? ....after the LSU game he seemed to be on a week to week contract as far as many people were concerned and that might have been enough.   

One thing that you can take to the bank.....Gus will be fired sooner or later....that's what happens to football coaches, even those with some good wins on their ledger......Dye,  Bowden, Tubs, Chiz......and Gus will be next.   Some AU folks might not value him but could be that his stock is as high as it will ever get in the outside world.....and next year he will probably be on a week to week contract again anyway so maybe let arky have him ? 

I know you're trying to counter my silly opinion but I don't really disagree with anything you said.

Only issue I'll continue to point to is doing this during critical game weeks is, and I still contend WAS, counter productive and if a coach can't be laser focused during a championship week, what do we care that he might be focused during Mercer week, or even MSU week.

I think he let the team down thus week, and for "extra" reasons that should not have been in play....this week.

Beyond that, sure business is business.  As a fan I care about the football.  There's too many zeroes at the end of these paychecks for me to feel like somebody's having food taken out of their mouths because they might lose an opportunity with Arky.  So, apparently staying at AU for "only" 6 million instead of 7 million is the booby-prize?

49 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

On 11/25/2017 at 6:24 PM, doverstutts said:

Gus Malzahn made a believer out of me, which I never thought would happen.   Since the LSU loss, he has performed like a top notch HC.   Well enough that I will be happy for a contract extension, large pay raise and buyout for him, and I will not say another smartass comment about him again.   I  will still criticise him when needed, but Gus Malzahn is my coach from now on.   unfrickingreal

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I know you're trying to counter my silly opinion but I don't really disagree with anything you said.

Only issue I'll continue to point to is doing this during critical game weeks is, and I still contend WAS, counter productive and if a coach can't be laser focused during a championship week, what do we care that he might be focused during Mercer week, or even MSU week.

I think he let the team down thus week, and for "extra" reasons that should not have been in play....this week.

Beyond that, sure business is business.  As a fan I care about the football.  There's too many zeroes at the end of these paychecks for me to feel like somebody's having food taken out of their mouths because they might lose an opportunity with Arky.  So, apparently staying at AU for "only" 6 million instead of 7 million is the booby-prize?

I'm not making any value judgments about the salaries....other than that they are ridiculous.....but the market determines what we or about anyone else pays.

But I will say, that like other jobs, there is more to a job than just the money.  Furthermore,  at some salary level the $$$$s can drop down the list of "what's important".....otherwise Nick would be at Texas and Chris Petersen would not be at Washington.  

The other thing I learned in business is that sometimes you have to pay extra for a person to take what is considered an unattractive job....which might be why it cost TAMU $75M to hire a guy whose school was kind of eager to see him move on anyway.    I'd just hate to see AU become a place where we have to pay an :"Auburn premium" to get a good coach. 

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:
1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

On 11/25/2017 at 6:24 PM, doverstutts said:

Gus Malzahn made a believer out of me, which I never thought would happen.   Since the LSU loss, he has performed like a top notch HC.   Well enough that I will be happy for a contract extension, large pay raise and buyout for him, and I will not say another smartass comment about him again.   I  will still criticise him when needed, but Gus Malzahn is my coach from now on.   unfrickingreal

because its basketball season, and i am tired of all the malzahn crap

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

because its basketball season, and i am tired of all the malzahn crap

Was just messing with you. #teamBruce

I mean people are complaining about having to pay Gus. Let’s say we let him go. Who you going to get for less? Dan Mullin got 6 mil a year at Florida, Dabo makes 8. Jimbo got 7.5. So y’all are in favor of letting him go just so you can pay someone else what he is asking for... 

1 minute ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I mean people are complaining about having to pay Gus. Let’s say we let him go. Who you going to get for less? Dan Mullin got 6 mil a year at Florida, Dabo makes 8. Jimbo got 7.5. So y’all are in favor of letting him go just so you can pay someone else what he is asking for... 

The fanbase is never going to fully support gus. It is always going to be this love/hate relationship with him. I totally know I am apart of this but gus brings it on himself with his rollercoaster ride he takes us on every season.

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm not making any value judgments about the salaries....other than that they are ridiculous.....but the market determines what we or about anyone else pays.

But I will say, that like other jobs, there is more to a job than just the money.  Furthermore,  at some salary level the $$$$s can drop down the list of "what's important".....otherwise Nick would be at Texas and Chris Petersen would not be at Washington.  

The other thing I learned in business is that sometimes you have to pay extra for a person to take what is considered an unattractive job....which might be why it cost TAMU $75M to hire a guy whose school was kind of eager to see him move on anyway.    I'd just hate to see AU become a place where we have to pay an :"Auburn premium" to get a good coach. 

Again, no disagreement here.  The salaries these people make is beyond my comprehension and I don't judge them for it...I'm a capitalist.  And honestly I don't care what they make....wish they'd keep it to themselves.

My issue is the timing of all this being brought to the forefront.  Football is as much emotional and mental as it is physical.  I can't help but to believe (and no, I don't have evidence but I do have plenty experience myself and I'm not an ostrich) this also affects the asst coaches and players.  Do we polish up or resumes or game plan?  Do we get fired up for the game or worry about an announcement after the game?

The team was not focused, nor did they look overly prepared.  Pick your poison as to why... 

4 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

If Gus leaves for Arky that is because Gus wants to leave, not because AU is making him leave.  AU has more than stepped up for Gus.  Especially given 2015-2016.

wde

I hate the timing of this and at this point who do we get, but if we are going to be spending this kind of money it might be better to throw it at another current head coach or give it to Steele for less. There might be some coaches out there like James Franklin that might bite for this kind of money, 7m plus bonus that we get from CGM buyout and 10 yr deal. With all that said I'm ok if GUS stays because I have no say but Gus only had two really good years 5 years apart.

Archived