Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

By Zach Barnett -

Gus Malzahn said after Auburn’s SEC Championship loss to Georgia on Saturday he wanted to stay at Auburn. He’s going to get his wish.

The 5th-year Auburn coach signed a contract extension Sunday to remain on the Plains, according to Brandon Marcello of Auburn Undercover.

Marcello reports that the numbers are not clear at this time, but Malzahn’s new deal is expected to last five years with a salary stretching up to $7 million. Malzahn earned $4.7 million in 2017, according to the USA Today salary database, ranking 11th in the country and trailing Nick Saban and Kevin Sumlin in the SEC West.

The extension comes after Arkansas focused its coaching search on bringing the Fort Smith Christian High School graduate home, back to state he went to high school and college and then cut his teeth as a high school coach. After an uber-successful run as an Arkansas high school coach, Malzahn began his college career as Houston Nutt’s offensive coordinator at Arkansas in 2006, a 1-year tenure that started fantastically — the Hogs were 10-1 at one point — and ended in the type of drama only the SEC can produce.

That season in Fayetteville eventually led him to the head coaching job at Auburn, where he has compiled a 45-21 record with one SEC championship in five seasons. Malzahn has Auburn at 10-3 this season with an SEC West championship; the second-ranked Tigers hoped to reach the College Football Playoff with a win over No. 6 Georgia on Saturday, but those hopes were dashed in a 28-7 loss that denied Auburn the SEC title and opened the door for Arkansas to make a run at its native son.

Malzahn will conclude his fifth season with a date against Central Florida in the Peach Bowl on New Year’s Day.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GwillMac6 said:

lol spot on. I was talking to a few Auburn friends after the game and we both agreed UNLESS you have one of the true top guys in the industry as your coach every fanbase is like this. There is not a consensus either way. Most people (including myself) go back and forth and have a love/ hate relationship with gus.

I’m fine with it. If you asked me after the LSU game, yeah he’d be gone. However, after Jacobs being fired, and Gus stepping up his intensity, I could see something different in him and on the field. 

Now was not the time to be looking for a coach. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Curious whom everyone is going to be pulling for for the next 5 years. 

The players...despite having a bipolar coach.

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m fine with it. If you asked me after the LSU game, yeah he’d be gone. However, after Jacobs being fired, and Gus stepping up his intensity, I could see something different in him and on the field. 

I truly hate his passing game (or lack thereof) with a fiery passion. It is chicken #$%^ and awful. We saw again yesterday when you stop the run gus cannot beat you with the pass.

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Curious whom everyone is going to be pulling for for the next 5 years. 

Auburn, no matter who the coach is.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I truly hate his passing game (or lack thereof) with a fiery passion. It is chicken #$%^ and awful. We saw again yesterday when you stop the run gus cannot beat you with the pass.

Well, you've got 5 more years for it to grow on you, you lucky devil...

Just now, AURealist said:

Well, you've got 5 more years for it to grow on you, you lucky devil...

lol no way he makes it 5 years and you know this will be true. Next years schedule is a DEVIL with beatdowns coming at georgia (our other house of horrors besides red stick) and what used to be Jordan Hare West. 

lol no way he makes it 5 years and you know this will be true. Next years schedule is a DEVIL with beatdowns coming at georgia (our other house of horrors besides red stick) and what used to be Jordan Hare West. 

What?  Didn't you get the memo?  Gus has changed.  LSU changed him.    LOL.  :laugh:

Just now, AURealist said:

What?  Didn't you get the memo?  Gus has changed.  LSU changed him.    LOL.  :laugh:

until I see some better passing concepts MISS ME WITH THAT BS!!!! lol yesterday was classic gus.

8 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

/End Thread. Right choice to keep him. We Overpaid just a bit but it's a good call.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Goodrx usually gives good discounts on prescription meds. Perhaps some Prozac would do you good. 

He has to go out there and earn this extension because he hasn't earned it yet. 

For seven million a year things I NEVER want to see again:

1. coming out for the first few games of the year unprepared.. 

2. Games like we had against LSU. 

3. Atrocious play calling. 

Goodrx usually gives good discounts on prescription meds. Perhaps some Prozac would do you good. 

I am already crazy and a loon as it is. DO not need to make it worse fam.

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

/End Thread. Right choice to keep him. We Overpaid just a bit but it's a good call.

I completely disagree. When will we ever be more desirable as a program when it comes to a coaching search? Coming off a 5 or 3 win season like the last 2 times we were looking for a coach or a 10 win season with a stud QB coming back and a loaded team? 

Make it lithium or seroquel then. ;)

NX9c546.gif

I completely disagree. When will we ever be more desirable as a program when it comes to a coaching search? Coming off a 5 or 3 win season like the last 2 times we were looking for a coach or a 10 win season with a stud QB coming back and a loaded team? 

So were you banking on us pulling in an up and comer, learning on the job type coach? Because that’s all we’d get. 

Archived