A little perspective, please

AURex

At the beginning of the season, if you were told Auburn would win 10 games in the regular season, beat both of its main rivals (Bama and UGA) and play for the SEC championship, pretty much everyone here would have been happy with that record. And actually, I remember lots of posts by people saying just that.

Yes, Auburn's performance in the SECCG was really disappointing. But, really, does it make any sense at all to push out a head coach after he goes 10-2 in the regular season against the toughest competition in the country? Florida gives Mullen a $6 million contractr as reward for years of mediocrity. A&M gives Fischer a $7 million contract after a losing season. And you want to push CGM out the door for going 10-2?

:-\

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AURex said:

And you want to push CGM out the door for going 10-2?

10-3

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

At the beginning of the season, if you were told Auburn would win 10 games in the regular season, beat both of its main rivals (Bama and UGA) and play for the SEC championship, pretty much everyone here would have been happy with that record. And actually, I remember lots of posts by people saying just that.

Yes, Auburn's performance in the SECCG was really disappointing. But, really, does it make any sense at all to push out a head coach after he goes 10-2 in the regular season against the toughest competition in the country? Florida gives Mullen a $6 million contractr as reward for years of mediocrity. A&M gives Fischer a $7 million contract after a losing season. And you want to push CGM out the door for going 10-2?

I think Gus is pushing for a hefty salary right up there with Mullen and Fisher, isn’t he?

It will get ugly tonight. We just obliterated Bama. Can’t take that away from Gus. Also the people calling for Gus to be gone because the offense stunk will be the same ones that praised Lindsey for how great the offense has looked. 

We just got outplayed today, that simple. 

We had a good run this year.  Time to rebuild, heal up, win the bowl game and look at our depth issues for next year.  Hard to win twice in a row on a good team.  Well it is ALWAYS GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER!

Gus earned another year by beating UGA in game 1 not to mention spuat.  He has earned getting his ass raked over the coals for that garbage on the field tonight.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Gus earned another year by beating UGA in game 1 not to mention spuat.  He has earned getting his ass raked over the coals for that garbage on the field tonight.

wde

He will get a lot more than another year

It's time for a divorce.

Not talking about Malzhan. 

Can we have two websites? Some of you people are great. The rest of you can take a long walk off a short pier. You're the biggest group of whining, crying jackwagons on the planet and you don't deserve to call yourself Auburn fans. 

We won 10 games and beat UGA and Bama when they were ranked number 1. If that's not good enough for you, nothing ever will be. 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

He will get a lot more than another year

I understand that.  But he did not earn it.  FWIW, he did not earn more than 1 year.  I have posted repeatedly, he earned 2018.

wde

In most years, I wouldn't mind Gus leaving if he wants, cause he's not exactly an elite coach. His game planning and execution has always seemed sub-par, and I think at this point just about any coach could recruit well to Auburn, however the pool of coaching candidates this year is very dry and I think Gus leaving would put us in a position where we couldn't really find a slam dunk "better" coach, and at worse we would have to take a chance on an unproven coordinator.

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

In most years, I wouldn't mind Gus leaving if he wants, cause he's not exactly an elite coach. His game planning and execution has always seemed sub-par, and I think at this point just about any coach could recruit well to Auburn, however the pool of coaching candidates this year is very dry and I think Gus leaving would put us in a position where we couldn't really find a slam dunk "better" coach, and at worse we would have to take a chance on an unproven coordinator.

This guy gets it.

1 minute ago, Auctoritas said:

It's time for a divorce.

Can we have two websites? Some of you people are great. The rest of you can take a long walk off a short pier. You're the biggest group of whining, crying jackwagons on the planet and you don't deserve to call yourself Auburn fans. 

We won 10 games and beat UGA and Bama when they were ranked number 1. If that's not good enough for you, nothing ever will be. 

This x1000000000000

Good season. Wish it could've ended on a better note but was a heck of a turnaround after LSU.

6 minutes ago, AURex said:

It's funny you say this. Auburn was picked by many experts to be a serious playoff contender. Winning 10 games and playing in the SECG should have been a realistic possibility.

3 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

It's time for a divorce.

Yep, this exactly. If Gus were to leave, how can you blame him. As long as we have these people in meltdown mode after every loss, even if there WAS a better coach available right now, why would they want to come to AU and put up with this??

It's pretty simple why we lost. Too many uncharacteristic arm tackles, D- Line either getting spread out or over pursuing, taking advantage of our starting corner going down, not containing the edge, turnovers, points off turnovers, 3rd down %. Uga showed again that they are a very undisciplined team but they just squared up and beat us tonight. WDE win or lose.

2 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

It's time for a divorce.

Agree, some on here just don’t like Gus and never will. Playing for an SEC Championship and beating your two biggest rivals is a good year. With fans like some of these folks I would not blame him for wanting to leave. Good luck with who you find to replace him that is better. Mike Leach(what has he ever won?) Kiffen( needs to grow up) not much out there that is an upgrade. Gus has had us in the hunt 2 years now, most teams would kill for that. 

5 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

It's time for a divorce.

I would add that if you don't want to fire Gus after a loss then you don't demand excellence.  Can't win them all, not even Saban can do that. 

1 minute ago, Moriarty88 said:

I in no way say we should get rid of him, but we should not give him 6 or 7 million a year for the next 7-8 years.  Along with the ridiculous buyouts we seem to put on contracts.

He is going to have to get close to that. Arkansas is about to throw a ton of money at him

Trap games are a real thing coming off big games. What if 3 out of 4 weeks you have to play #1 or a previous #1! Hard to keep intensity. Top off the fumbles and missed fg, and it's almost impossible. 

Archived